I Found the Horsehair Brush I Love.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ironthinker, Aug 19, 2015.

1. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

After trying badger, boar and a horsehair brushes, I decided that the horse was my love. So I ordered two other horsehair brushes to see if I could find one I liked better.

I ordered a Veg from China for $9.99 that was quite soft it had the backbone of a mop. I also ordered a Vie-Long 14080, 35% mane and 65% tail, one of the higher quality Vie-Longs. It has more backbone than the Veg, but not enough for me.

I am going back to my Vie-Long 13710, 50/50 mane/tail. I even ordered a second one for $18, as a back-up. It is softer and has better backbone of a good boar or badger, and beats anything for face lathering.

I know "Best Grooming and Shaving Tools" still has these in stock.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good for you. My horse doesn't get much love.
    [​IMG]

Douglas Carey and GDCarrington like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'll give the 13710 a look. I'm actually thinking a 24/75 mix for me for the next horse. I really like scritch. I just hope the backbone is there with it as well. For now I'm loving the 12601 with the 12705 a close second. Seriously thinking of going about 90% horse and using boar to fill the gaps when I want.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Spud, Douglas Carey and NCoxSTL like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If I ever buy another horsehair brush, it will be the Vie-Long pony, just to add to my "miniatures" brush collection.

Spud and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Good article. It is unfortunate that horses don't get the press I think they deserve today. Perhaps if the hobby continues to grow we will see more fans as we go. I find it a bit puzzling that so many embrace synthetics because they are "animal friendly" while ignoring a natural hair brush that is also friendly to the animal. Horses get haircuts just like we do. No harm done and I don't even think anyone could argue exploitation of the animal for that reason. Horse racing? Now that's another story, but simply using a product that they grow and have trimmed as part of their care shouldn't raise alarm.

7. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

You can't beat Vie Long brushes, I have four and a Vig special order with a 30mm knot. I use a horse brush about 3 days a week, boar about 3 days a week, and sneak in a badger here and there. There is no other brush that feels like a good horse hair brush!

ironthinker and NCoxSTL like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I agree. I don't even sneak a badger in the lineup. For me it's horse and boar in rotation at the moment. I only own one badger, a cheapo I started with and it sits and gathers dust. And for feel the horse wins everytime.

ironthinker likes this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I too am puzzled why synthetics are so popular while horse hair brushes are not. I know the synthetics can be great performers but the feel unnatural on my face. While I don't care about Vegan and use badger and boar brushes I use a Vie Long horse hair brush for travel.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I keep thinking I should try a synthetic but then can't think of a reason why. Maybe since I don't travel much I don't have that particular problem but yes, I am a traditionalist when it comes to brushes too.