I had my little brother make me a scuttle.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by thinklikeh20, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

Here is another shot of the hybrid "spoutless" scuttles. We are going to play around with a handle-less one that works more like a nice lather bowl you would hold from the bottom, with a cork to prevent the water from spilling of course.

Attached Files:

93tillinfiniD likes this.
  2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Looking great!:happy088:

93tillinfiniD and thinklikeh20 like this.
  3. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I like the spoutless one as much if not more from that angle. And, FWIW, I currently use a soup mug from the kitchen that had a chip in it for my lather bowl. I dropped it on the faucet and the handle broke off of it, so I basically just palm the bottom of the bowl and hold it on about a 45-degree angle to lather. I don't see why that wouldn't work with your scuttles, just make sure the spout/opening is pointed up while holding it. I like the idea of a cork to help keep it from spilling as well as losing heat, but I don't necessarily think it is a necessity. Right now I just let my bowl sit in a sink full of hot water, and by my 3rd pass the water has cooled quite a bit from where I start, but it works well-enough. I don't imagine the scuttle would lose heat faster than an open sink of water (as long as you pre-warm the scuttle anyway).

4. thinklikeh20

This was part of my reasoning when my brother and I were doing some brainstorming. I generally just use a cereal bowl or something, and if I can hold onto that why not a scuttle?

Also, if the spout is destined to break off, wouldn't the handle as well? I agree that the cork is kind of a hit or miss thing, I would prefer a low-lying one that just caps it off and doesn't stick up and out.

Another cool thing he is working on is called a "chatter" effect. That is the texture you see inside and out, it should really help whip up lathers at breakneck speed. I also noticed that I prefer to spin my brush in one direction, and the spiral's he put in there work better when I spin opposite to normal, so I had him reverse the spin on one just to try it out. Im hoping this could be a custom feature where you would specify if you are right or left handed, and which direction you prefer to swirl your brush.

This is all so much fun, thanks again for the encouragement, as my brother is spending more and more time on these as of late. We are working on the give-a-way, but Im trying not to break forum rules so I want to take it slow and do it right.

I would like to keep this thread for development/promotion/user reviews, but I wonder if at some point it will have to be moved to the vendor thread? I just want everyone to enjoy the updates, but also provide enough information on how members could attain one. If any mod's could help me out on this it would be greatly appreciated.

93tillinfiniD and DLP like this.
  5. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

if you are going to have it rest in the palm have you thought about a loop for the thumb? the hands can get a little slippery when wet with water and lather.

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

That may be, but if you look at the picture you can see the "chatter effect" on the outside of the scuttle, so it isn't slick. I think it is a neat idea!

7. 93tillinfiniD

93tillinfiniD Member

Ahh, how nice to finally be able to post in this thread! ;)

& to start things off... I thought I'd post one of the latest scuttles to have been fired:

Lathertastic!
    [​IMG]

And as a class project, I decided to film a time-lapse type video on how the scuttles are made! The scuttle in this video is the same one in the above photograph. Unfortunately, someone in my class broke off the handle, but I've begun to like the idea of a handle-less scuttle more & more! How can you ever learn and progress if you don't make mistakes once in a while? :cool:

Hope you enjoy!

8. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Nice video - very neat to watch it go together.

93tillinfiniD and macaronus like this.
  9. thinklikeh20

What a humble and amazing community here. Gives me hope for future society and culture.

Please forgive my poor technique on the left at the end. I'm still learning not to chase bbs, and to have patience.

Thanks again everyone, please continue to comment so we can all be part of this scuttle revolution.

Billr and 93tillinfiniD like this.
  10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Nice vid, Dom! I was wondering howscuttles are made.

I like the idea of a handle-less as well!
    Nice work, man!

Billr and 93tillinfiniD like this.
  11. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Cool I wondered how you made it double walled and added the spout. definitely want one when they're available.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Dom, thanks for posting the video. I too, was wondering how you made the double-wall.

13. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

great video, thanks for posting it.

14. coche1

It didn't even occur to me until I was shaving this morning, but I actually sometimes use the broken off nub from where the handle used to attach to my bown to hook my thump on while lathering. I think adding just a little 'knob' or 'hook' to grip with your thumb might actually work as well or better than adding an actual ring (plus it would allow for all thumb sizes to work!). Just a thought. I'll try to get a picture of my bowl in my hand tonight to show what I mean.

15. coche1

Here is a view of how I use the nub from where the handle broke off my bowl to hook my thumb on.

Attached Files:

93tillinfiniD and burnout961 like this.
  16. 93tillinfiniD

93tillinfiniD Member

Yes I definitely agree! I've been making nub-like handles on cups and jugs for some time now, & I can definitely see them working on the scuttles. It can be somewhat hard to find that perfect fit for every individual, but it's a proven design for me, so I'll definitely give it a try! I also like the smaller nub design because of its resilience to chipping like the full handle can & eventually will.

I also find that the chatter texture I've been adding to the surface's of the scuttles also helps greatly with the overall grip and feel, even when covered in soap and water.

I appreciate the picture and advice, as the scuttles are only getting better with this helpful communities well thought ideas and opinions! (plus a little personal experience ;))

Here's some really thick chatter that I made today... I think this would look great on both the outside and inside of the scuttles. :)
    [​IMG]

macaronus, tomnat and GDCarrington like this.
  17. coche1

I'm glad that you take all of these posts as what they are - thoughts, ideas, and advice - and not as criticism. Your work definitely looks great!

And I'm glad I took that picture last night because this morning I knocked my mug off the sink and my nub broke off! Doh.!!!

18. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I think he should make those barbershop poles for used blades. I can't find any on ebay or elsewhere! Great work!

PLANofMAN and 93tillinfiniD like this.
  19. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Cool video on the making of the scuttle! The only thing I can say is, how do you guys shave with lather that thin? lol

alpla444 and 93tillinfiniD like this.
  20. 93tillinfiniD

93tillinfiniD Member

Aw bummer to hear, but I'm glad we got to see it before it broke! I've been experimenting more with the nubs lately & I think I've found the perfect match... at least for my hand size. Haha.

Also, sorry for the delays, my brother & I are still trying to determine the most simple & efficient (flat rate?) method for shipping out the scuttles to everyone that would like one. This is a top priority for us and we hope it'll be worked out soon!

But to give this thread a lil love and eye candy, here's a more recent prototype of the 'handle-less, spout-less' scuttle variety. I'm thinking the next one will remain spoutless, and have a nub towards the foot of the piece, giving you the grip of an angry gorilla. Only then will it be possible to achieve lathering speeds that were once beyond our wildest dreams. :happy093: :shaver

Thanks! & don't worry, it's all in the works! I just have to be very productive as the school year is coming to an end soon, and I do not have much work time left in class! With a steady summer job, I can see myself buying a wheel and kiln in the near future! Then the possibilities will truly be endless! :cool:

I like my lathers like I like my women, thin and tantalizing. ;)

As for my brother... criticize his technique all you want. haha :lyrtuy5:

Voilá!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.