I Have an Idea

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Carson West, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Hey guys, it just occurred to me that there's a huge portion of the population out there who've been steered into Gillette's prison of cartridge razors and canned goop. And I know a lot of those people would love the joys of wet-shaving if someone introduced them to it. Maybe you're already doing this, and maybe it's been discussed here, but I've never seen it. So here's my idea:

What if we lend wet-shaving gear to friends interested in trying it? Maybe we could tell them they can keep the gear if they decide to continue wet-shaving, or to return it if they decide not to, so we can lend it to someone else.

I think we've started a little fire here, and all we need to do now is fan it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's a Plan already in place! Many of us have set up friends and family with starter sets. It can be done inexpensively with a new Welshi DE, or a vintage Gillette Flare Tip. Toss in a couple tucks of quality blades for next to nothing. Synthetic brushes are cheap to purchase and available in many flashy colors. Start them off with a tub of your favorite soap, or samples of several for variety. Assuming they are coming off carts, an alum block and bottle of soothing balm would cap the deal.

I've done this for my brother (a Fat Boy), and one of my sons (Black Beauty). Currently my daughter has my Schick type H (The Hussy) that I didn't even get to try before she decided it was the best shaver she's ever had. The 8 year old Twin grand daughters are getting indoctrinated, too. They like to pick my soap & aftershaves if I share with them. One has decided she likes wearing Old Spice, prefers Shulton but was happy to get my bottle of P&G for herself.

3. brit

brit in a box

i have 2 guys at work who now dabble in it .both got starter kits-early techs,omega boars ,proraso green and blades.another friend got the same.i got my other close friend to start using his dads 40s tech traveler set after 40+ years of carts and electrics.he gets many of my razors i pass on including soaps and blades..

AGHisBBS, RyX and Carson West like this.
  4. Carson West

Great ideas Ry. Thanks for contributions to the cause.

RyX and brit like this.
  5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Great idea!

I've loaned stuff and got it back unused.

I had similar thoughts on straights.

AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  6. Carson West

Glad to hear guys are already doing it. :angelic007:

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  7. Carson West

Frustrating.

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

wet shaving evangelists-spread the good word.have you heard the good news?;)

AGHisBBS, Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  9. Carson West

Amen and hallelujah brother!

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I've started a handful of guys down the path of traditional shaving by passing along items out of my overflowing shave den. I offered a friend a Gillette Tech, a couple of soaps, a brush, and some blades today. He's watching a couple of videos I shared with him to see if he wants to jump in. I did the same for a young guy last week and another friend about a month ago.

It's a blast helping other guys get started and finding something they enjoy doing. I hardly ever mention anything to new guys about saving money. Mainly because it ain't the case for the great majority of us. :) Most of them just need to take a break from the serious things in life. I tell them it's fun, challenging, and a great way to relax.

I've still got somewhere around 20 razors, a handful of brushes, a couple thousand blades, and enough soap to lather up every man, woman, child, and house pet in Chicago....no danger of me falling victim to the dreaded shaveapocalypse in the next couple of decades. ;)

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Except for me-I'm still using your Stoylins :).

Edison Carter, wristwatchb and brit like this.
  12. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Pass the plate Gary!

Edison Carter, Terry and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

:D

Edison Carter and Terry like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Welcome to the party.

I converted one of my friends and three family members over the years.
    My friend- Fatboy
    My wife- Lady Gillette
    My cousin- black handle Super Speed
    Other cousin- Blackbird

15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I don't know if I would call it a Gillette prison. Schick, Wilkinson, Dorco, Harry's and Dollar Shave all sell cartridge systems. There are also multiple vendors for canned gel. They work well enough for many people, although replacement cartridge cost is an issue. That being said, it never hurts to have alternatives.

I think lending gear is a great way to show people some very useful alternatives. Even if they do not use a double-edge safety razor, they can still get improved shaves by using a quality shaving cream or soap, aftershave or aftershave balm, etc. Learning proper technique with a double-edge razor is essential, and is likely part of the reason many people get better shaves than with cartridge systems. Those to whom equipment is loaned will also receive instruction on basic technique from you. That works quite well for friends and family, but what about everyone else?

As you noted, there is a huge portion of the population that does not realize traditional shaving still exists, or that it can have tangible benefits compared to more modern shaving methods. So how to reach them? Some communities still have public bulletin boards. Why not put up flyers with something like:

"Do you hate shaving? There is a better way!

www.youtube.com/user/mantic59
    maggardrazors.com
    theshaveden.com"

Pull-off tabs with Mantic59's YouTube URL would be nice to have. That raises awareness and offers sources of information, education and products, and will be a revelation to many people. It is not about education rather than getting everyone to be just like us.

Another approach, one potentially profitable, would be that taken by Gary Gwnne, the founder and owner of Shoebox Shaveshop. He started out selling wetshaving gear out of a shoebox at work and at client's workplaces. The business eventually grew into one of the more prominent online wetshaving stores. Sadly, Gary passed away last year, but an interview with him can be read here. His stepson is carrying on the business reborn as Shoebox Shave Club.

brit, Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  16. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I do this all the time. I've had stuff on loan to 3 different people at work in the past couple months. I keep a starter pack or two ready to go in case I hear someone is interested. I just bought a bunch of soaps on clearance from italian barber for like $3 to use as giveaways. My starter packs usually include a Gillette Tech and/or a Superspeed, a synthetic brush, a soap and aftershave, and a pack of blades.

brit and Carson West like this.
  17. Carson West

Shaver X, you're putting words in my mouth. I never intended to evangelize, merely to share our joy of wet shaving. So why don't you do things your way and I'll do them mine?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  18. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

The reason cartridge razors utterly vaporized safety razor sales is because using a cartridge system takes far less skill, time and effort.
    Nothing is ever going to change that so the only people really open to using safety razors are those with plenty of time, effort and are able to learn. Rare enough characteristics in this day and age.

The new generations may winge and crib about the environment and modern consumerism and using a safety razor should be an easy sell to them but because using one takes time, effort and gumption they are a lost cause.

Wet shaving is mostly for post mid-life-crisis old duffers and older.

19. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I've PIF around a dozen razors. My son in law uses the 1956 Gillette Red Tip with Astra SP's I gave him in early 2018. My son has a 48-50 Gillette Super Speed, and my daughter a beautiful blue Lady Gillette. Other gifts were to members.

Edison Carter likes this.
  20. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, and am sorry if it was construed that way.

"I think lending gear is a great way to show people some very useful alternatives." And it is.

brit likes this.