I have been busy turning handles

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by brunner, Jan 17, 2012.

1. brunner

brunner New Member

These are made from a poly resin it comes in several different forms, you can buy jugs of the resin and hardener at art stores, this is clear and needs to be pigmented, if you want to cast your own blanks. This method is done under pressure or in a vacuum to reduce/remove air bubbles and takes about a day. Otherwise you can purchase larger poly blanks online. I am trying to find a pen blank maker who can do larger sizes in custom colors. The resin once cast becomes very hard and requires a lot of patience to turn it. When I first started I wasn't using the right speed, angle, and pressure and I blew up several blanks. Every once in a while the gouge will catch a void in the plastic and a chunk will get taken out of it. I have learned to have a good idea of what I want out of the blank and to be flexible if something happens to it. I have a small notebook where I have started to note the shapes and measurements to reproduce the best handles.

2. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

A really nice job, you have a very good eye.

3. brunner

brunner New Member

I guess I forgot to mention there is a bit of distortion in the pictures I took the photo through my magnifying lamp. Here is a better photo DSCN2337.JPG

The large knot is a vintage 24 mm super silvertip and it is huge, the other is a TGN finest 24mm

MRast01, Latherman87, Mechguy and 3 others like this.
  4. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Now that looks better!

Great set and very nice with the accessories :signs107:

5. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Really nice work there! I'm digging the green one even more now, though the red one is tops for me...hmm, but the amber one similar to the red one is....oh heck, I like them all! (Nice fedora too! Love fedoras!)

6. brunner

brunner New Member

I made this one today, it is pretty basic but it feels really nice in the hand. DSCN2357.JPG

Mechguy likes this.
  7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Beautiful work, but the yellow one is definitely my favorite. :happy096:

So far.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

really nice work.