I Just Stumbled Upon This Quotation

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by mvd, Jan 8, 2019.

1. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Have you ever been reading, talking, or watching/streaming a program and come across a great quotation?

Post it here!

I am reading Shut Your Eyes Tight by John Verdon (mystery novel) and a character says:

"In his darker moments, he was disheartened by the arthritic rigidity of his own way of thinking, his own way of being"

I just love this beautiful sentence!

RyX, macaronus, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

"I got smog in my noggin."

Ogden Nash (I think)

RyX, Bama Samurai, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  3. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

We are all imprisoned by the dictionary. We choose out of that vast, paper-walled prison our convicts, the little black printed words, when in truth we need fresh sounds to utter, new enfranchised noises which would produce a new effect.

Mervyn Peake, Titus Groan (Gormenghast, #1)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RyX, Paul Turner, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  4. SharptoothC

There is a love that equals in its power the love of man for woman and reaches inwards as deeply. It is the love of a man or a woman for their world. For the world of their center where their lives burn genuinely and with a free flame.

The love of the diver for his world of wavering light. His world of pearls and tendrils and his breath at his breast. Born as a plunger into the deeps he is at one with every swarm of lime-green fish, with every colored sponge. As he holds himself to the ocean's faery floor, one hand clasped to a bedded whale's rib, he is complete and infinite. Pulse, power and universe sway in his body. He is in love.

The love of the painter standing alone and staring, staring at the great colored surface he is making. Standing with him in the room the rearing canvas stares back with tentative shapes halted in their growth, moving in a new rhythm from floor to ceiling. The twisted tubes, the fresh paint squeezed and smeared across the dry on his palette. The dust beneath the easel. The paint has edged along the brushes' handles. The white light in a northern sky is silent. The window gapes as he inhales his world. His world: a rented room, and turpentine. He moves towards his half-born. He is in Love.

The rich soil crumbles through the yeoman's fingers. As the pearl diver murmurs, 'I am home' as he moves dimly in strange water-lights, and as the painter mutters, 'I am me' on his lone raft of floorboards, so the slow landsman on his acre'd marl - says with dark Fuchsia on her twisting staircase, 'I am home.

RyX, AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  5. SharptoothC

Something to remember, that: cats for missiles.

6. brit

brit in a box

i believe..i believe i ll have another...

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I think of my wife and I remember this .....

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
    I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
    My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
    For the ends of being and ideal grace.
    I love thee to the level of every day’s
    Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
    I love thee freely, as men strive for right;
    I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
    I love thee with the passion put to use
    In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
    I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
    With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
    Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
    I shall but love thee better after death.
    ................. Elizabeth Barrett Browning
    and

"You make me want to be a better man." ......................... As Good as it Gets

I see my wife .... doing most anything ..... and I'm reminded .......... I can never thank God enough ......... for my best friend.

macaronus, RyX, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. - Justice Potter Stewart

It is always simple to fall; there are an infinity of angles at which one falls, only one at which one stands. - G K Chesterton

The position we have now reached is this: starting from the State, we try to remedy the failures of all the families, all the nurseries, all the schools, all the workshops, all the secondary institutions that once had some authority of their own. Everything is ultimately brought into the Law Courts. We are trying to stop the leak at the other end. - G K Chesterton

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  9. jar

jar Well-Known Member

"Eyes examined while you wait". Sign in the window of an Optometrist office.

"No Parking. Violators will be persecuted". In the Parking lot of a Catholic Church.

"Do not place mouth or other bodily openings near the orifice" At the exhaust of a Jet Ski.

"Do not stand above this step" On top of a ladder.

RyX, Frijolero, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

11. wristwatchb

Pride deafens us to the advice or warnings of those around us.
    John C. Maxwell

MR41, Preacher, RyX and 4 others like this.
  12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better. "

Laurie Anderson

Herm

13. wristwatchb

14. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

"Of all the things I've lost during my life, I miss my Mind the Most!"

Terry, RyX, brit and 5 others like this.
  15. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

You need to bring this post up again on February 14th! Very nice.

That Chesterton one is spot-on. Brilliant!

I love these. I used to have a whole list to use for teaching English. In the Laundromat: When the light goes out, please remove all your clothes.

RyX, Frijolero and John Beeman like this.
  16. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

John 3:16-17

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Terry, BigMike, SharptoothC and 2 others like this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I love quotations. One that comes to mind, from Winston Churchill: "Jealousy is like cancer to the mind".

RyX, Frijolero and mvd like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That's sad.

Frijolero and Paul Turner like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Nice timing, it looks like I'll be getting my brother-in-law's cat Friday just for the biting-cold temperature season. :) (The free heat here is kinda nice).

SharptoothC and Frijolero like this.
  20. SharptoothC

Some of the best things I have ever thought of I have thought of during bad sermons.

- Wendell Berry

If the devil doesn't exist... how do you explain that some people are a lot worse than they're smart enough to be?

- Wendell Berry