I may have just ruined my razor...help please!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SHAVEWIZARD420, Feb 8, 2016.

1. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

2. SHAVEWIZARD420

this is the razor. I glued that little piece on the bottom right onto the razor because it kept falling off when I was shaving. The problem is that I glued it when the razor was put together. Now I cant unthread the head to put a blade in. any advice would be appreciated.

bobthedad and AGHisBBS like this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

I managed to get the handle detached by using a vice and channel locks, but I don't know if I will be able to get the glue off the threads. Acetone perhaps???

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

Could pick up a thread die at Harbor Freight to clean the threads with. There may be a chemical solution to this though. What type of glue did you use?

5. SHAVEWIZARD420

dollar store super glue.....embarrassed.. they were in little tubes, I thought I could just glue the piece on with a drop or 2 of super glue, but I accidently glued it with the razor together. This is what I get for working on these things at 2am.

BamaT, Robyflexx and AGHisBBS like this.
  6. Hillbilly79

You may be able to remove the glue with a metal pick or a brass brush, then clean the residue with acetone. That is the best I can come up with right now. Maybe if someone else knows of another method they will chime in.

7. SHAVEWIZARD420

The problem is that piece is still stuck in the head, I got the handle off, but I didn't realize it is a female piece that is hollow, so I cant get to the threads. I drilled out the excess glue, but not sure how to break it loose. Thank you for your insight on this matter.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  8. Hillbilly79

You can get a thread chase for the female threads. It will clean out the threads without removing material.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If you got it unthreaded, then why can't it thread back in. Just start threading in a little, then back out, several times. Repeat an just go a little further, when resistance lessens. Crazy glue is brittle, and should come out by doing this. Or, get a metal pick, and just chip it out of the threads.

PLANofMAN and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Acetone should dissolve the superglue

twhite, SHAVEWIZARD420 and ARGH like this.
  11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

This.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  12. SHAVEWIZARD420

The problem is the glue ran down into the threads so the handle is off, but I can't get it unthreaded. It just keeps turning and turning.

The little round piece on top of the plate, looks like a riviot and it keeps spinning. It feels loose, but I've been trying different things to get it apart.

Had it soaking in acetone but may need more time in the bath.

13. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

Im confused....is that pic how the razor is currently?

14. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

Heat should break the glue bond. Try dropping it into a glass or cup of boiling water. Once the parts are separated, acetone will clear out the glue.

15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I would boil it in water first, it won't hurt the razor. If that doesn't work, then an overnight soak in acetone, but that might hurt the finish. I'm not sure.

16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Send it to me, I'll "dispose" of it for you. (Insert evil laugh)

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Hmmm... I don't like the sound of the "little round piece on the top of the plate...keeps spinning".

Can you post a picture of the top plate?

SHAVEWIZARD420 and '65 G-Slim like this.
  18. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I shuddered when I read that, too. If the threaded stud broke loose from the cap, I'd say it's toast. As far as getting the glue off the threads, I'd use a Dremel and a wire wheel (safety glasses required...trust me). The piece that broke loose from the handle *might* be able to be epoxied back into place with JB Weld. Just wipe off any excess that gets on exposed areas. Just make sure everything is cleaned off really, really good.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Jim99 like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

If that post broke off the top plate, epoxy might help if you can get the stud out. I hate to say it, but start shopping!

20. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Acetone will work it if super glue (cyanoacrylate) but if its an epoxy type glue then a properly sized tap or thread chase.

poikkeus and Jim99 like this.