I May have Scored: Wizamet Iridium Super NOS (Made in Poland)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

So, I saw this on the 'bay and just couldn't resist buying them up. The packs apparently include the Polish-made blades from before Gillette bought the brand out and moved production to Russia. I tell you, I am completely stuck for what to do with these blades once I get them. I mean, they're so rare these days, and I don't want to go through them, but on the other hand, the Pole in me wants to find out what it's like to pop one of these into my Wizamet W-11 adjustable and try out a piece of my heritage.

Wizamet Iridium Super NOS.jpg Wizamet Iridium Super NOS 1.jpg Wizamet Iridium Super NOS 2.jpg

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Bet they shave like shrôdinger’s cat. Lol
    Won’t know if they’re any good till you open them. If you open them, they won’t be worth as much.
    I say smoke’em if you got them. The lamp is on while you can, tomorrow isn’t promised.

cliffb599, twhite and Michael_W like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Imho, you have to try at least one or two of them. What's the point in just looking at them?

Michael_W and cliffb599 like this.
  4. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello.
    You are so right about how difficult it is to get these blades. They really are top shelf blades. One of the numerous ways to know if these are the vintage blades of renown by Wizamet is to check for the presence of a UPC bar code. I think it is pretty generally accepted the classic vintage Super Irridium blades of historic reputation pre-date those UPC bar codes. That doesn’t mean that the blades that were made post bar code onset were not good blades, on the contrary, they were very good blades, but their predecessors were even better.

Also the presence of the “Made In Poland “ labeling is another indicator you have the vintage Super Iridium blades.

Color/design of packaging is another way to check authenticity.

Here are a few photos to show you some of the differences of the packaging of my few examples.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I hope this helps you identify the blades you seek. Good b luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Good to read your post, Alan. Hope you are well.

Michael_W and Morman Bridge like this.
  6. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi Joseph. Thanks. I’m hanging on for now my friend. It’s been close a few times, but I’m still going. I hope you are well.
    God Bless You my friend.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Michael_W

Welp...apparently there were changes in international shipping prices on razor blades, so the seller had to cancel the order and refund my money. He can't ship the package without losing money on the sale. They were THIS close to being mine...damn...

8. richgem

Make him an offer if you really want them. I mean, the difference can't be that much, can it?

9. Michael_W

From what I was told the Netherlands, where the seller lives, are basically putting the No on shipping such items. So I don't think he could ship internationally.

10. richgem

Ah... too bad. :(

Michael_W likes this.
  11. richgem

From what I could find on the postnl.nl site (which may or may not be up-to-date), there's no prohibition on mailing razors or razor blades per se. However, there is a prohibition on mailing weapons and fake weapons. Loosely, I suppose that could mean anything that could injure someone. So, that might be the reason for not being able to mail razor blades over there.

There might be an option with something like FedEx, but that's probably where the big cost comes in.

Michael_W likes this.