I may have to re-think brushless creams...

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by omegapd, Jul 21, 2009.

1. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I had never heard of a brushless (other than Nair or stuff like that) cream until I started on these forums. I was given a sample tube of Sheffield's Brushless cream from a member here and was quite surprised that the shave turned out to be as good as some of my "traditional" creams.

Fast forward a bit, and I found a tube of Bert's Bees on a vacation. Not knowing it was also a brushless cream, I bought it and tried it and again...enjoyed it. It has a nice scent and seems to really soften the hair before the shave.

Today, I run by my local K-mart and find a tube of Skin Milk Shaving Cream. I have used the Skin Milk line of products before- their lotion is just about the only lotion I'll use now- and had to try it. Once again, a brushless cream that gives a thin lather, but one of the closest, most moisturizing shaves I've ever had with a wonderful scent. Just amazing...

Now, I'm wondering what else is out there at my local drugstore/Wal-Mart that may be worth a try...

Glad I gave it a chance. I may use these more often now...

steve207 likes this.
  2. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I bought some Aveda brushless when I first started out with moving away from the canned goo - before I got a brush even... It did well enough, I guess, but I haven't used it since I bought a brush.....guess I'm getting a box together :rolleyes:

3. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I have some American Crew brushless cream that I use on occasion. It's not my favorite because it's somewhat greasy feeling, but it does a good job.

4. Austin

Austin Member

5. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

+1 Cremo is pretty good, and there's a Noxzema brushless cream that has been praised as well

6. Teiste

Teiste New Member

I have only used two of those creams(Lea and Williams) and I didnt like the greasy feeling at all and the scents of both creams are.....:sick007

7. herzi

herzi Active Member

I think the LEA smells almost like nothing. Ok, nothing isn't the best scent but it also doesn't disturb. Besides this it works really good.

8. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

I've heard good things about Ingrams brushless cream.

9. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Oh I see,you like Lea!Well the old one has a strong scent and I didnt like it,havent tried the new one.Maybe thats unscented.Ill have a look!

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Kiss My Face is designed as brushless and works fairly well that way. I like it better with a brush, but YMMV.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I don't like squeezing the cream in my ahnds then smearing it on my visage, its too messy in my opinion. I preferr lathering in a bowl.

12. Special_K

Special_K New Member

13. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Just had another fantastic shave with the Skin Milk. I'm going to try and find some of the old Palmolive Brushless on Ebay now. Hopefully the guy selling it isn't the same one who's so proud of his lather Palmolive (2 tubes for $99). :)

14. RnR

RnR Member

Slid on over to my KMart and picked up a tube (Skin Milk - 8 oz.) for experimentation.

Interestingly, although priced at $5.49 - it rang through with a $1 discount. Now for 4 1/2 FRN's, that's not bad for an 8 ounce tube provided it gets the job done of course - and I'll give it a shot in the AM to see ...

Thanks for the tip!

BTW... this concoction also has shea butter, dimethicone, milk proteins, Aloe, Vitamins A, D & E among plenty of other ingredients.

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

KMF is great with or without brush. Totally different, but good. I bring some when I travel once in a while.

16. rainman

rainman New Member

KMF is also supposed to be used as brushless per the directions. I use it this way and it works very well for me. Got some on the web for $4 for an 11 ounce bottle. The Trader Joes(made by Alba Botanica) is also indicated as brushless and works well. It is $3 for an 8 ounce tube.

17. Batmang

Batmang New Member

Before I got my brushes I was using Molle brushless. I still think it is one of the smoothest creams I've ever used.

18. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Let me know how it works out for you. It's some of the slickest stuff I've ever used. The razor glides like it's on ice. Mine was the same price, btw. $4.49

19. RnR

RnR Member

No argument on the slickness... the razor definitely glides!

Based on my 1st experience with it, I think the Skin Milk will be a permanent addition to my kit. It had been awhile since I've attempted a descending ATG pass on my neck, but this morning I gave it a shot and am very pleased with the results. Using an ordinary Dollar General generic blade in my Slim, I emerged with a 98% satisfaction factor after the WTG, XTG and ATG passes.

I rinsed after each of them and reapplied directly from the tube and I think this is one thing I am going to slightly modify. I quickly realized that the better approach would be to have a pump dispenser in play - so I'm eyeing my Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream bottle as a probable home for the Skin Milk once I've emptied it. As it was with no brush being utilized, I found dealing with the wet tube a bit of a bumbling affair in my own hands anyway...

But for those new to the brushless creams, get prepared for less visual feedback on how well you've shaved any particular area, as you are dealing with far less foam than the traditional approach... but the results are indeed very hard to argue with. And they are excellent!

Great recommendation, Sir Eric!

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

If you can handle the name of this brushless cream, Billy Jealousy's Hydroplane is an awesome brushless that performs as well as any lathered soap or cream. I've never tried Jealousy's Whipped Cream but would give it a try based on the excellent quality of the Hydroplane.