I need a Strop Doctor - PhD only need apply!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RocketMan, Mar 1, 2009.

1. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Quick story - new Rolls razor in fabulous shape - it is going to be my shaving razor and goes in my rotation as soon as I get this strop ready (today??). The strop is in quite good shape but needs conditioning and all the info out there is kinda contradictory.

I can't screw this strop up cuz I only have the one in there and ya can't get new ones, I don't want a non-original strop in there (size and angle and all the other arguments ya know), and I ain't robbin my NOS for one. This one, is the one!

There is a wiki out there saying Lubriderm or 28,000iu Vitamin E oil are the ONLY things and don't use anything else. Other folks say slap on the mink oil. I've heard vaseline and chap stick and corn oil and do this and dont do that!!! ARggggg!!

DOCTOR? WHAT SHOULD I USE ON ME ROLLS STROP? I NEEDS A SHAVE!!!!!

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Somebody is still making parts for the Rolls. I did a google search for Rolls Razor awhile back and found it. Maybe start there. Personally, I just put shaving cream on mine. That's what a lot of barbers did back when and it doesn't get all gooey like with mink oils, etc. Just rub it in really well.

Enjoy it. I like mine as an occasional shave. I can never get the blade sharp enough for a real clean shave, though. If I find the link I mentioned above, I'll post it here later.

Eric

*** a google search for Rolls Razor Parts shows it. It's the first link on the page but geocities is down right now. It says Caswell Massey are selling new ones, though.

3. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Thnx omegapd

I should add shave cream to my list of strop conditioners!

That geocities link for new parts is quite dated and things seem to have changed since then. The man they mention I believe is quite old now and not actively involved anymore. I don't yet know where his inventory ended up if it did. There was a woman known as RedTrader99 who had new hones for a while but seems like that has come to an end too. But, if anybody has new hones or strops give me a PM please!!

Still waitin on that dern doctor!! Must be golfin!

4. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Luckily, Rolls are pretty prevalent on Ebay and cheap- making it easy to snag another one for parts or use. :D

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

mink oil. wipe on. let sit for a minute. wipe excess off.

dry rolls strop - pink

fresh rolls strop - deep red

6. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

G'day D.irving79!

How was the Valet Strop this morning??

I have heard some say to never put mink oil a strop. I don't know why there are so many opinions.

Why do you choose mink oil Sir Irving? Do you keep the valet strop soft with that too? How 'oiled' does one make the strop anyway??

7. tom myers

tom myers Member

Just a suggestion, but if you are looking for expertise on strops, perhaps you might consider asking the question over on the straight razor forum. I would expect to find more expert opinions there with the folks who use strops every morning. :D

Regards,
    Tom

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

shave #6 :)

they may be right, i dont recall where i heard it. i just know it works for me.

it actually makes it really soft and works very well. ive never had a problem with it, but ill be the first to admit im no expert.

9. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Thanx for the responses.

I haven't yet gone to the str8 guys because I see this as a safety razor issue I'm afraid. Keeping blades sharp isn't only an issue for wedgeheads!

There is something to be said for experience - and right now our very own resident Valet Stropper (D.Irving79) is one of the only voices coming forward. SingleWedge also has an opinion on this for Rolls razors and finds that beeswax works very well for him and Omegapd is using shaving cream (which would be in abundance for a shaver, so a very practical thought there!)

I think I am going to try and research this topic more because it has me quite interested. The idea of using resharpenable equipment appeals particularly well to my rather penny pinching Scottish roots. I have found out only a little so far on the topic but will poke around here and there and see how it comes out! (Now off to see if the wedgeheads have any good advice!! hahaha)