I need to buy one more DE razor....which one?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Okay,

I need suggestions on what DE razor to buy next. Something awesome. Price is not a real consideration. I want something awesome. (Well, all my razors so far have exceeded my expectations.)

Also, why does it seem like the oldest DE razor, the Gillette Old-Type shaves better than anything science has come up with since??? Maybe I just haven't tried the razor you have in mind yet? Hmm....

I currently own:
    Edwin Jagger "Kelvin" (Black Shave Kit)
    Gillette 1947-1952 Superspeed (Moving from current Old Spice kit to Top Secret Shave Kit under development)
    Gillette 1960's Red Tip Superspeed (Old Spice Shave Kit, picture updates to come)
    Gillette 1907 Old Type (Wood Shave Kit)
    Merkur "1904" Open Comb (Top Secret Shave Kit under development)

I bought the Merkur "1904" Open Comb because I've read many reviews that it shaves like the Gillette Old Type. I haven't tried it yet until I finish building and photographing one of my "Top Secret" kits (it could end up being my 'final' kit).

The, as yet selected, razor will be a part of one of my final shave kits that I will ever make.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    battle.munky and Primotenore like this.
  2. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

How about a slant? Maybe the Merkur 39C. The Sledgehammer has been one of my favorites for years.

Herm2502 likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I don't see a Gillette Fat Boy or a Slim Adjustable in your line-up. Both excellent razors.

7ecapilot, BigMike, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

ATT open comb M2
    Mergress
    Or as mentioned a fatboy or an Aristocrat.

7ecapilot likes this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

You will find the 1904 to be VERY mild, unlike an old type. Which is fairly aggressive.

I like the slant idea.

Herm

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A big change-up from vintage Gillettes, more aggressive and a fantastic razor. :happy088:
    Not as intimidating as my other favorite, the Mühle R41, but still a quality (and reasonably -priced) modern razor.
    SafariScreenSnapz955.jpg

7. kenloupa

kenloupa Active Member

I'd get a Fatboy or a Muhle R41. :happy088:

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    British Aristocrat
    Wolfman
    ATT
    Feather AS-D2
    Fat Boy
    Gillette President
    One Blade
    Mongoose

9. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

A real nice NEW short comb would make a nice final (your kidding right) addition.

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Long handled Super Adjustable.

President or Diplomat.

Yeah, that's what we all say. ;)

RyX likes this.
  11. The Other Donald

The Other Donald Well-Known Member

iKon Tech or Muhle R41, or maybe try a Single Edge instead; perhaps a Schick E type Injector or a Gem MMOC.

12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I was holding off on this because I don't want "everyone" to know, but check this out

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIuhSCygZH4/

They will be available in September, but at those prices and limited numbers...you will have to order quickly.

Tim Spencer, RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  13. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Heck, buy'em all!

14. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

I say you need a slant or adjustable.

But I'm gonna have agree, the old type is probably my best shaver as well.....even though it's rough looking it's a damn good shaver.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree, an adjustable would be a great addition. also, besides the Fatboy and Slim, add the Black Beauty to the list. All of them give me great shaves when paired with the right blade.

16. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

Or maybe a modern razor?? To me the old type shaves more like some of the aggressive modern razors out there.

Maybe vintage tto razors arnt your thing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

17. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a fantastic shaving older Gillette OC. You can't go wrong with a "New"! Everyone should have a Fatboy and Slim though!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  18. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I gotta go with one of the modern stainless razors. I have an EJ DE 89 and love it. Even as highly refined and flawless as it was, it had a chink in the armor and the plating is peeling off the zamack on the cap's threads. That would never be able to happen with a fully stainless razor.

And I want one and I can live vicariously through your purchase if you opt for one :D

Good luck on narrowing down your options and selecting.

You already have the 40's Superspeed so that one you already know the joys of. I have two and like them both a whole bunch.

The R41 is a great razor, as mentioned already.

Demidog likes this.
  19. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

20. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Either a Fatboy or a Futur.

Sunflake likes this.