I need to buy one more DE razor....which one?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Merkur 34C has very similar styling to the Edwin Jagger "Kelvin" that I own:
    [​IMG]

See? They are very similarly styled with the exception of the bottom of the handle and the thicker steel underplate of the EJ Kelvin.

And, btw, I really like my Edwin Jagger Kelvin. The black shave kit is my most used shave kit since it's modern and I feel like I get away with "beating up on it" more than the vintage stuff that I want to try to preserve as much as possible.

The EJ Kelvin is not my "best" shaver in terms of closeness, but delivers a quality shave, especially with blades after 2 uses and under 10 uses. So, for uses 3-9, the EJ Kelvin is really nice. I've found with "brand new" blades, the EJ Kelvin will nearly always give me a 'nick' on my neck. This is very likely because I get used to handling the razor with a blade that isn't as sharp and I can get away with poor technique. I am positive that the nicks I get on that first shave on a new blade is my own fault.

I guess I never did a review on the EJ Kelvin. I think it's a razor that is good enough to be someone's permanent everyday-use razor. It's durable so far. I have taken more chances with this razor than the others. Not a blemish on this thing yet in nearly 4 months of use and it was my very first razor. I would put it on par with the shave I get from the vintage Gillette Superspeed (cira 1947-1953). The 1907 Old-Type gives the best shave I ever had. No nicks, aggressive, and does the job on a single pass.

I don't do more than 1-pass because my skin is sensitive to trauma. Ironically, I prefer an aggressive razor it seems because it is able to give a super-duper smooth result on that single pass with minimal need for any touch ups, while the other razors I own many times need touch ups and while I'm smooth, I swear I think the Old-Type's results are smoother. Could just be my imagination but I don't think so. I MIGHT consider doing a 2-pass shave at some point, but I guarantee that I will need pre-shave oil to pull that off with a very cushioney/slick soap lather. A 3-pass shave is too risky. I will end up looking like I have a skin condition. If I ever do a 3-pass and my face makes it through, I will report the razor, pre-shave oil and soap that pull it off.

2. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I have around 30 razors but my go to ones are the Fatip Piccolo, a Cadet open comb butterfly razor, a Maggard V3A head, or the Rockwell 6S #5 head. I use my other razors from time to time but if I need a consistently good shave I pick one of the ones listed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

They do look very similar, other than the head.

Tim Spencer likes this.
  4. Tim Spencer

You guys are a bad influence. I just ran across and bought an awesome looking French-made razor from a Canadian company off Amazon to pair with my awesome wood shave kit (to go with the Royal Water cologne). I will update pictures when I receive this new "Dave Ocean33's Atlas". I think it looks like the Joris razors that someone recommended in here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018MMH4R4/?tag=thshde-20

[​IMG]

Considering that it's only $25, I was willing to order and take a risk on it. Gorgeous looking and will likely go well with my wood shave kit's "Royal Water" items. I've got to give that 1907 Gillette Old Type some rest or I'll wear it out. So, I've signed this backup to substitute for my capable starter.

5. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

Whoa!! That is sweet looking! The head reminds me of the Gillette New Short Comb. Please let me know how you like that. This razor might be something that I need!!

No reviews is a scary thought. It appears to be very well made though.

Tim Spencer likes this.
  6. Tim Spencer

Well, it "looks pretty" for sure. I simply won't know about the build quality or quality of the shave until I test drive it.

7. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Yeah, that looks cool. Its not my style but its cool.

8. Tim Spencer

Yeah, it was a total impulse buy because it looks so much like the Joris and would likely match my wood themed shave kit and give my very old antique old-type a rest between uses on this setup. I have been using the the old type way more than I anticipated and I don't want to wear out such a nice looking razor.

9. Tim Spencer

Okay. Received the DaveOcean33 "Atlas" razor last night. I've had a look at it and I'm not impressed with the finish of the product. The gold metal doesn't look polished and might be a phony coating, not plating. The symbol on the head of the razor is not engraved, but rather what feels like 'paint'. The wood also is not finished/sanded very well (rough), BUT.....in fairness, perhaps the finish was not polished finely in order to improve "grip" when wet? That is a possibility. I will withhold final judgement until after I've used this razor for at least a few weeks to a month. If it starts showing early wear and tear, then I will report back. In the meantime, I'll just say this one seems a bit risky to put a purchase on and there are much, much better finished razors available at the $25-$30 range than this one.

The pictures make it look pretty and make it seem like it has a nice finish, but upon closer examination and with it in hand, I feel the photos are a bit deceiving. I very likely would NOT have bought this if I had handled it and examined it in person in a store. I won't say I'm disappointed yet, but the odds are that if a manufacturer was lazy enough to give a poor finish/polish job, the likelyhood have shaving well is questionable. I don't want to bad mouth this thing just yet in the performance portion of my review until I try it, but in the "looks" department, it doesn't scream "quality" like say, an Edwin Jagger or Merkur product at the same price point.

10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

The best safety razors I have seen (and can afford) are those delta echo razors and the maggard slants that are coming out next month. Ill be looking to get one of each in the next 4-6 weeks for sure.

11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Get one of these:

[​IMG]

12. Tim Spencer

I'm heavily leaning towards the Futur for the secret shave kit because of that powdery finish. The Slant looks impossible to resist however. The Feather looks like a high quality, accurate razor though, but many have said it's not aggressive. Those are my "finalists" so far.

The slant is a definite buy no matter what choice is made for the upcoming shave kit. I can always rotate in the slant whenever. The Feather is sooo expensive but it appears to be one of the most incredibly finished razors I've ever seen, maybe the most well finished. It like like you could run it over with your car and it would look the same afterwards.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  13. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I'm into vintage razors, but if I were to build a kit of modern hardware, it would include a bar type, an open comb, single edge, and an adjustable. Based on nothing more than reputation & the description of others, I would choose the following:
    Bar type - Feather AS-D2
    Adjustable - Rockwell 6s or if dial type then Mercur Futur
    Open Comb - Timeless OC
    Single Edge - Mongoose

14. Tim Spencer

Can someone who owns the Merkur Futur please provide me what the diameter is for the handle's girth.

For instance, here is my Gillette Super Speed and it's handle diameter:
    [​IMG]

What is the diameter of the Merker Futur handle in centimeters or milimeters?

15. nikonNUT

nikonNUT Well-Known Member

Not sure how agressive you want to go but maybe a 1930 Deluxe? Tuckaway/Lady Gillette, Bemont/ Criterion, or a Big Boy are all are amazing shavers. Even more agressive? NEW DeLuxe in the 15mm flavor. A demanding razor for sure but so smooth!!! Something older? Bulldogs are pretty freaking sweet as I am beginning to learn.

16. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

Has that been replated? It looks brand new.

17. Tim Spencer

You must not have been following my posts in recent months. Perhaps you need an update?

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/first-double-safety-razor-shave-kit-complete-pictures.51522/

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/old-spice-shave-kit-part-1-complete.51533/

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/calvin-kleins-obsession-for-men-shave-kit-done.51704/

I am currently working on a Top Secret set of additional projects which are not set to be declassified for public consumption.

18. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

19. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I haven't. Those are nice sets. You should get a blackbird to go with your black set.