I never thought I'd say this- BUT

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by cigarlover, Jan 20, 2017.

1. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

If anyone here doesn't know I'm a huge fan of the 3 piece razors. My go to razors have always been my Gillette New Open Comb and pre-war Tech. I have a good collection of TTO razors but sadly they have just been collecting dust for a long time.But here lately I've been really enjoying one of my TTO (Super Speeds) Edit- it's an Aristocrat. I'm really getting a DFS even with just one pass from this razor :yoda2 The DE force is strong within me now :happy108:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I too love my NEW SC but I also can get a near or occasional BBS with one of my various Super Speeds, either the 40's or 50's version.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

My two favorite open combs are my New OC and Bostonian (Canada) as they give me great shaves. I also get great ones from my TTO's with the right blades.

cigarlover, Carbide Mike and Bobcat like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I have a '71 SA-109. With Voskhod blades it's a stubble killer of the first order. But my NEW SC is also. Great dilemma to have if you ask me.

cigarlover, Carbide Mike and Bobcat like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My NEWs, both LC and SC, and Goodwill razors are among my favorites, but I do have a favorite TTO, my Sheraton OC.

6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I have given up on TTO razors, recently put away my '53 Super Speed, with no plans to revisit any time soon. My favorites are the OLD type, and the triangle slot Tech, with the Tech being the favorite at the moment. There's just too much head on a TTO, I have to work harder to effectively shave with it, it's too mild. The '53 supposedly has the same head as a Red Tip SS, but still too mild and inefficient to get the job done. The pre-war Tech is somehow silky smooth aggressive, whatever that means, you feel the blade, the whiskers go away, and your face is smooth and undamaged in any way.

But we all have different faces, if you've found what works for yours, stick with it! :happy088:

7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Super Adjustable maybe? Just sayin'.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The Superspeeds do nothing for me. Same with the Rocket and Aristocrats; wasted on me.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Not a fan of adjustables, the collar on the handle bugs me.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I've always liked the 1940's style Gillette Super Speed. It has been my go to in a pinch razor for a couple of years now.

cigarlover and Carbide Mike like this.
  11. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

Funny, I want to like other razors, but I rarely stick with anything outside of the super speed family for long. Personal habits maybe suit one side or the other.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

cigarlover likes this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Since I learned to shave with a Gillette G2000 (1980s razor, very much cheapened down Superspeed, in a way) it is strange that I don't really like the Superspeed head profile. I highly prefer slender 3pc razor heads.

cigarlover likes this.
  13. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

Sorry guys but I made a mistake. What I thought was a Super Speed is actually a 1940's Aristocrat. I missed the knurling at the twister. Mine runs vertical not horizontal.