I picked up a SS..

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RacerX, Apr 17, 2010.

1. RacerX

RacerX New Member

I bought a Super Speed at a yard sale a couple years back and threw it in a drawer. I ran across it last week and thought I'd give it a test drive. it looks like it's never been used.

this razor is super mild. I looked up the date codes, and as far as I can tell it's a 64.

I thought the Super Speeds were a bit more aggressive? after 2 passes, I still have a five o clock shadow :)

is it my technique?

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

In my opinion, the earlier first generation Super Speeds were a touch more aggressive than the later flair tip models.

I also not sure how well any Super Speed would do with only a two pass shave.

3. RacerX

RacerX New Member

With my Fatboy and Injectors I have always just done a single pass and a little touch up here and there. this razor may be too mild for me.

I'm glad I found this forum.
    although a life long wet shaver, I am , still learning.

I mean that in a good way.

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

What setting do you use on the Fatboy? That would give a good comparison to see if the Super Speed is that much more mild than what you normally use. I find a SS to be about as aggressive as a Fatboy on 4. If you're shaving with it on 8 or 9, then you'd need to adjust your technique to get equally close. Every face is different and different razors work well for different people. Personally, I find the SS to be one of the best razors for me and it certainly can deliver a BBS shave.

5. RacerX

RacerX New Member

My Fatboy is on 3 for the first 3 shaves. I kick it up one each shave after that.

maybe it's just the angle I need to work on?

6. DragnetFan

DragnetFan New Member

I bought a 1960 SS on ebay, it's my 1st DE razor. I thought is was surprisingly mild, no cuts so far. Not as close as the shaves I was getting with my Fusion, but I've only been doing it for a week! I actually added an ATG pass this morning.

7. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

My 40's style SS (actually a... 52? I think..) took some getting used to, but I'm getting good shaves out of it now.
    It usually takes two passes and a little cleanup to get the shave I want.

8. roosclan

roosclan New Member

I have a black-tip SS, a couple 60's SS and a couple 70's SS, and the 70's SS razors are the mildest of the 6. Compared to my Fatboy and Super Adjustable, the black tip is more aggressive at about a 6, and the 60's are at about a 4. The 70's seem to be the mildest. Looking at the heads, I think the height is the issue. The black tip has a taller head, the 70's SS the thinnest head (but barely thinner than the 60's).

The black tip is almost too aggressive for my face. It cuts the wires growing out of my sensitive skin, but leaves me pretty burnt. Part of that may be my technique -- or lack thereof -- but I have to wonder if the head height is part of it. I've just barely gotten started and am only using Save Secret oil until my mug and brush arrive from my in-laws (f-i-l still had his Old Spice brush and mug). I know my technique stinks, but at least I stink consistently!:D

I know this is OT, but RacerX, are you the RacerX of pinewood derby fame?

9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Hey RX, congrats on getting the SS... I agree with you...I think the angle is the great equalizer...I love shaving on all the settings on my Slim, but the angle changes to compensate...I know you've probably done the same thing with your Fatboy...It's hard to resist playing with those settings, but it does teach us alot about angles...:)) All the SS's are such great razors I'm sure you can make it work for you, and probably have a great time in the process...If not you can certainly unload it easy enough around here...Let us know, what happens...

10. TimeWeaver

TimeWeaver Member

I've got a '64 flair tip, and it's given me BBS on more than one occasion.
    Just depends on the blade and how much time I have to spend on careful technique.
    It's my go-to razor.

11. shavejunkie

shavejunkie New Member

spend some time with it...its likely to become a favorite. Its possible to get bbs with one pass and touch ups. I have a steel wool beard so I'm gonna say its likely technique. my useless .02

12. mycarver

mycarver New Member

I have to second, third and fourth what everyone else has said. I too recently picked up a late 40's SS and I love it. Something about the weight, balance, head, angle, that just seems to naturally shave well. It's fast becoming one of my favorites. I also have the later Flairs, Red's, Blues,, but the early one,, sweet.