I polished my Rockwell 6S

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MoAllen, Aug 4, 2017.

1. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

scaled_image.jpg

My Rockwell 6S has been my favored razor recently because of the comfort, easy shaves, no irritation, no problems.

But I have to admit that I was not a fan of the dull, industrial-looking bead blasted finish of the stainless steel. I decided to try to brighten up the look.

First, I attacked it with a generous amount of Flitz metal polish and a lot of vigorous rubbing. I used a toothbrush and Flitz on the knurled handle. I used a rag and Flitz on the top cap. The handle started to look great, but as the bead blasted finish began to disappear from the top cap, it became obvious that the metal had a slight texture from molding I guess. So I decided to go for it and began sanding, starting with 800 grit, then 1000, 1500, and 2000 paper. After I was satisfied that the metal surface was smooth enough, I attacked it with Flitz again. This is the result.

I was afraid to use sandpaper on the base plates, worried that I would change the geometry of the shave. I did polish one with Flitz, but it didn't change much in appearance, so I left the others alone. The base plate in the photos is unpolished.

As a bonus to the looks of the polished cap, I think the razor glides a little better on my face.

scaled_image.jpg

scaled_image.jpg

scaled_image.jpg

scaled_image.jpg

scaled_image.jpg

nikos.a, kfbrady, lloydrm and 19 others like this.
  2. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

Oooooo shiny. I like it good sir.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

MoAllen and Kokak like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Very nice look to it. I like when razors have some contrast between the cap and the plate. Good job!

MoAllen, Kokak and Linuxguile like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Hey, that looks pretty good. I'm glad all the effort paid off.

5. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Very, VERY nice. I've been meaning to do that myself. Thanks for the pics and info.

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Looks good. Nice job.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Beautiful!! I need to get this razor.

8. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Wow! So, cool. I love the glossy satin finish. Gets me thinking that I need to break out the Flitz and put it on mine.

MoAllen, Tdmsu and Kokak like this.
  9. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

The 2 tone of the cap and base plate, really do look great! Add to that the nice shiny handle and you have turned a great razor into a GREAT razor.

MoAllen and Terry Williams like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That's right purdy! I still want to pick one sometime. :D

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great job. The razor looks fantastic. :happy096:

MoAllen likes this.
  12. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

It looks better that way. Nice work. How long did it take?

MoAllen likes this.
  13. fsfty

fsfty New Member

Wow that looks awesome. I hate the utilitarian look of the razor but love the shaves. Was the original colour the blueish one or the tannish one? Something to think about doing...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MoAllen and Tdmsu like this.
  14. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

15. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Good job, bravo.

MoAllen likes this.
  16. MoAllen

Thanks. I worked on it over a span of several days. The longest amount of time was probably an hour sanding the top cap. But I was being very cautious, especially when starting with 800 grit paper. It took a while to flatten out the metal texture.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Terry Williams and Tdmsu like this.
  17. MoAllen

The stainless steel is a neutral gray color. The dull finish of the metal makes it take on color casts in photographs sometimes.

18. fsfty

fsfty New Member

Can you tell me in detail how you did the handle? I would love to use the 6s handle with my Timeless.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

19. MoAllen

I used Flitz metal polish. For the threaded end of the handle, it was easy to use a cloth with the polish and to turn the handle briskly with pressure on the cloth. That end came out very shiny. Likewise, the other end was shined the same way. I had trouble doing that to the shiny bands between the knurled sections, and of course, a cloth was useless on the knurling itself (I tried). So I used plenty of the polishing compound and a toothbrush and scrubbed the knurled sections and the bands in between. Eventually the polishing compound began to turn black, indicating that it was removing some metal. I did this several times, following the diagonal lines of the knurling each direction. Then I used a toothbrush, hot water and soap to scrub the residue out of the lines. Some areas were shinier than others, so I repeated until I was satisfied. It is not perfect, but it is so much nicer than the original finish.

Terry Williams and Tdmsu like this.
  20. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Very cool

MoAllen likes this.