I really do hate it when this happens (new razor love)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Apr 17, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

20190417_191838_1280x720.jpg Any chance anyone can do a positive ID on this no-name razor?

Like I said elsewhere that I bought this for the handle to pair up with another head and so really didn't give any thought to this closed comb head. But not having shaved in over two days, tonight I cleaned it up and gave it a shot...and it's fantastic. Laid my cheek open a bit, but that's my fault. It has very nice aggressiveness -- a lot more than a Red Tip, it reminds me of the more aggressive SEs, maybe an OCMM, or the Fatip (as I remember it). But with the smoothness of a good DE blade (Iridium), man it was something else. I haven't felt this shaved in some time. On my 1-10 scale, 1 being Can't Feel It to 10 being Can't Stand It, it clocks in at a solid 7. VERY efficient, borderline harsh but just needs respect. Nice lighter weight (hollow handle, was surprised at that), good grip. And the handle is a dead match for my Clix head so I can always switch over to it.

As also stated, this has zero markings on it, so this is probably a tall order...but does anyone have a guess what it's name is or who might have made it? If it's already been stated elsewhere forgive me, tax week has been nuts and I've lost track.

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Can we get photos of the baseplate? It has the Conrad/Barbasol type guard, Cooper like handle but can't really tell much more from the photo without views of the plate

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Missing Lynx, PatrickA51 and brit like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yep that's a Conrad Razor Co design, brand unknown they appeared under a lot of different labels (Barbasol, Good Humor, Cooper, others). Mine also came with a Cooper type handle slightly different from yours.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thank you, sir! The Conrad name is a new one to me. What do you think of the shave?

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I found it a bit mild for my taste so i use it with an alternate cap. Conrad is best known for the Clix razors. Here's the patent. The Barbasol Floating head is a more aggressive version of the design. The design was intended to more effectively manage brushless creams like Barbasol.
    . Screenshot_20190417-171059.jpg

Enrico, BigMark83, PLANofMAN and 7 others like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Maybe they made the Cliz EZ Flo that I enjoy, but this is a beast by comparison.

Always something new to learn at the Den!

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Amazing how incestuous a lot of the early 20th century safety razor biz really was.

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yours may very well be different variant then, either the plate, cap or both, but obviously still a Conrad. Yes i enjoy the EZ Flow as well, a later Conrad design.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is a Cooper. They made those during WWII

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Did we find ads or cases that confirmed that, i forgot. I know the handle looks like a Cooper.

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Check the Cooper thread page 11. I am pretty sure Cooper just OEM'd those razor heads from Conrad during the war.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  13. brit

brit in a box

very cool razor..

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah, I think i found it , 1945. The_Daily_Times_Thu__May_24__1945_.jpg

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

AGHisBBS, gorgo2, brit and 2 others like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yes, down both sides.

brit, AGHisBBS and jmudrick like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What do you think they meant by "pre-war type razor"? All metal, no plastic?

brit and AGHisBBS like this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's the inference I think.

brit and AGHisBBS like this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

No, they are referring to the old Sweedo style razors.
    The new Kant Rust razors were introduced around this time, the one you have was like a bridge type razor between the old and new. They most likely had excess handles and used the Conrad Barbasol heads to piece together a product to sell the old stock while transitioning to the Kant Rust product line of razors and blades.

Here is the old style Cooper
    Picture courtesy of @jmudrick
    cooperold.jpg

Here is a Kant Rust
    Pictures from ebay auction.

cooper1.jpg cooper2.jpg

Here is a Sweedo you can see the similarity between the old style Cooper and it.
    sweedo1.jpg sweedo2.jpg

brit, AGHisBBS and gorgo2 like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The guard in the razor in the ad does not look the old Cooper/Sweedo to me which is why i selected it. There are ads from 1941 which clearly depict the open comb of the earlier Cooper/Sweedo rather than the distinctive Conrad/Barbasol guard which i believe i see in the '45 ad.

brit likes this.