I received this gift yesterday

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Reformation Student, May 7, 2008.

1. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

A person where I work knows I'm into straights and barber hones. She came in yesterday with this hone she found while cleaning. She was kind enough to give it to me for my use and collection.

Does anyone know anything about the Velvet brand hone? She asked if I could find information on it for her.

Attached Files:

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Not a clue about them, but a very nice gift. Looks to be in great condition!

3. Reformation Student

Considering it sat around unused for at least a couple of decades, I'm surprised at how good the condition is, especially the box.

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Yeah. Somebody must not have any water problems in their basement :D

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    No idea, but definetly nice of her to give it to you.

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Very nice Steve, Congrats!

I have never used one before, it looks to be on the medium side and appears to be coarser than a swaty.......

It may lap up to a very smooth surface though...........

You'll have to let us know how it works out for you :)

I think Tilly used to sell them.....
    http://www.redtrader99.com/hones.html

You could e-mail her if you don't find any information....She used to sell a lot of vintage hones and may have some info on it :)

7. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

No idea either, sorry. But you've got an excellent work colleague there :happy088

James.

8. Reformation Student

I used some 1k grit sandpaper to clean the surface as it was already flat but dirty. It a very smooth hone. To touch it, it is on par with my John Primble which feels almost like glass.

I can understand why they would call it Velvet as that's what the edge felt like when shaving. However, my learning curve is just starting because I'm not getting it as sharp as I'd like using this or the Primble. It's close, real close, but not..quite...there.

It's quite fun to use these old hones. Kind of like taking a step back in time :D

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Very purdy hone, I hope it'll serve ya well :)