I shall name it...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by '65 G-Slim, Sep 3, 2017.

1. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

...Gojira.
    [​IMG]
    I'd been looking for an older, low-mileage van to convert into a camper-of-sorts for when I retire in a couple of years. After months of getting notifications from Car Gurus, this popped up. 1989 Dodge B350 extended passenger Ram Wagon, 5.9L/360ci, 3-speed auto, with 87,665 miles. (I've got access to TxDMV at work & ran the VIN; seems it belonged to the City of Gatesville, and was probably used as a prison transport). The last row of seats had been removed, and it has the single door in the back. Pretty decent OD green paint job, and it had decals (US ARMY, the WWII type stars) on all sides. Easily removed. Engine idles like a Swiss watch, but I'll need to replace the idle air control valve & give it a good cleaning. Oil is clean, and the dip stick is like four feet long. 60mph seems to be the sweet spot; floats like the Titanic pre-iceberg. Lots of windows, though (I'll fix that with curtains & black-out panels). Has a bit of a fluid leak...I wiped down the transmission pan & checked the bolts, and found one stripped that I'll have to repair. But, being over 25 years old, it's exempt from emissions testing for state inspection. Dealer put new tires, shocks, water temp sensor, valve cover gaskets, tie rod ends & some other front suspension parts, and gave it an alignment...after he listed the price on his site. Saved me about $2K. Missing the front/right door speaker, but I can live with that for now. Should give me something to do to while away the hours 'til retirement.

I was gonna call it "Jolly Green Giant", but didn't want kids pointing at it & laughing. "Mommy mommy look it's the funny green man on the pea can!" No, that won't do at all. Gojira. "Out of the way, puny humans!"

2. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

That's a beast! Be sure to take your gas card with you.
    It looks like it is long enough for two full-sized cots in the back. Should make a fine, mild weather camper.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

You can haul a bunch of razors in there! Travel the country and hit all the flea markets! :happy088:

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. '65 G-Slim

$15 @ $2.12/gallon put about a quarter tank in it the other day. Gal behind the register said, "You might wanna put more in it." Shoulda listened to her. Gas is $2.39/gallon now.

5. '65 G-Slim

It's 12 feet from the back of the front seats to the rear door, and about 68" wide (I'm almost 66" tall, so I'm debating building the bed cross-ways or not). Plenty of roof space for a good solar power system, and plenty of space underneath for a fair-sized graywater tank (might build one out of 8" PVC water line). The possibilities are endless. I can't find an accurate fuel capacity for this thing...it's either 22 gallon or 36. I can't see Dodge putting a small tank in this, though.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zthumbs.jpg

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  7. '65 G-Slim

I'm thinking about getting this painted on the hood. Then, when I pull up behind some Westlakes soccermom putting on her make-up in her Landrover Evoque, I can make her crap herself...
    [​IMG]

CarlfromMO, RetLEO-07 and swarden43 like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy097:

CarlfromMO likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_1161.JPG
    Vietnam era Jolly Green Giant CSAR helo and friends

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That is a big van. Do you plan on living in it? Many folks are boondocking now. The FBI sells retired vans from time to time.
    You got a great deal!! That is a very strong van. Well done.

11. '65 G-Slim

It's for chasing UFOs in the desert. I might turn my grandsons loose with some spray paint & give a desert camo paint job. Home base will be my boy's house (trading taxi duty for the grandkids to school & back for room & board)...this will be my escape pod when domestic life gets tiresome.

12. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Th
    This is amazing. Excellent stuff :eatdrink047:

13. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

You'll need one of these on the dashboard:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

'65 G-Slim likes this.