I Want Luxury.....

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by poppi, Sep 21, 2019.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

So what "luxury" shave soaps meet that statement??

Open to any/all suggestions and thanks in advance

PLANofMAN and RyX like this.
  2. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Post shave feel after repeated use: B&M, Wholly Kaw, DG.

Martin De Candre is also a great candidate.

brit likes this.
  3. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

I don’t know what “luxury” is supposed to mean. I have a lot of high end soaps... the more I spend the more I am disappointed. Brands that are worth the exploration which are fairly priced imo. B&M, Wholly Kaw, NO, DG, T+S, and a few others that are just not coming to me off the top of my head.
    Brands that I have spent more on for instance, the holy black, nuavia, MDC. Are good but not the best... to say the least. Your mainly buying packaging and scent which is great. Performance is nothing to brag about but still something you’ll enjoy. My lavender creeper is my worst performer in my den and cost me 150US for soap & aftershave just to put it into perspective. One that I have yet to try due to price is Sebum, it has my attention but price deters me away from giving it a shot... at the end of the day regardless of what it is, it’s just Shaving soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. brit

brit in a box

pre de provence,saponificio varesino felce.,klar seifen sport..are fantastic soaps for me..

RyX, BigD and CastleShave like this.
  5. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I'd say most artisans. Stirling Soap is great. Also, Shannon's and Captain's Choice. I'd go with @brit 's statement for bigger manufacturing labels. Again, you're talking to the guy that loves his Arko, Derby, Proraso, More for You, Van der Hagen, Vintage Colgate Mug, Colonel Conk, Vintage Burma Shave, and especially Williams Mug both new and old soap. So keep that in mind when looking at my opinion. I like cheapie cheapie cost effective.

6. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Saponifico Veresino and Sudsy Soapery are the 2 most luxurious soaps that I have in my den.

brit likes this.
  7. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Luxury products should give you a luxury experience.

To that end, if Arko is able to be at the very top of the shave performance envelope whilst being definitely not luxury or expensive, Any soap proclaiming to be luxury has to be as good as if not better on the blade.

Luxury then, is probably defined by its ingredients, scent and packaging.

There is a thin line between being luxury and being a lifestyle product and that line is probably performance. I have two luxury shaving soaps:
    Cade, Expensive, comes in a fancy metal bowl and has fancy scent profile and is a long lasting, hard puck. Post shave is its strong point whilst its performance is poor. The Bowl is not fit for service. This is a lifestyle product.
    T&H Sandlewood. This comes in a beautiful wooden bowl and well detailed and designed packaging. The scent is fantastic. My best smelling soap. It is a hard puck and lasts a long time. Shave performance is good, and can be great if you work up the lather correctly (likes a drink) Post shave is fab as well. A well made and presented shaving product. This is a luxury soap.

Both bettered by Arko on shave performance though (T&H gives it a close run).

I would rather have the T&H than the Arko, but i would rather have the Arko than the Cade.

Does this answer the question?

RyX, BigD, Ksblazer and 2 others like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Really depends on what you are looking for. High $$$, low availability, a "premium" product, packaging?

Xpec would probably top the list on other forums, followed by Fitjar.

I usually define "luxury" soaps as having an incredible scent profile or really top notch packaging. Rarely do I consider performance, since cheap soaps and shaving creams perform just as well and in many cases better.

So...for packaging, Trumper's or Trufitt & Hill in the wooden bowls, Mitchell's Wool Fat in the ceramic bowl, Martin de Candre in the "brain" bowl or glass, Saponifico Verisino has a variety of shaving bowls, etc.

Scent is tricky. I like complex fragrances, so I tend to gravitate towards Barrister & Mann and Saponifico Verisino as two of the better scent "masters." If you like basic (English) scents, but want the absoulute pinnacle of that scent, the "Three T's" will be the ones to pursue. (Trumper's, T&H, Tobbs).

If you want it because it's hard to get, the Holy Black's limited run ceramic dished soaps would be a decent starting point, followed by Xpec. With Xpec, at least you will be paying for performance.

I have a few "high-end/luxury" soaps, and for the most part, I would rather spend the money on aftershaves, colognes and razors.

The best of both worlds is to have a soap bowl that screams "luxury" and is filled with whatever your favorite shave soap is. Do a google search for Thuya (or thuja) wood medium round jewelry box. (Should be about $30) This is the size bowl that Plisson uses. Thuja burl wood is strongly scented and higly water resistant due to the oils present naturally in the wood. When the soap runs out, clean and wax the inside and put more soap in. I've been using a Thuja wood bowl for several years now and it's holding up well.

...and looks stunning and still retains it's own wood scent, which is like a softer, sweeter, eucalyptus fragrance.

Or you can spend $110 and get one from plisson with subpar plisson/joris soap already in it.

9. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

:signs011:

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

So, luxury is what you define it to be regardless cost/hype? I get that and appreciate the comments. Now to decide what is luxury to me.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  11. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

That was what I was wondering when you first posted.

What do you consider to be luxery in a shave soap?

Or what is that extra luxury(s) that you are looking for in a soap? What are you looking for, that you aren't getting out of the soap(s) you are using now?

brit likes this.
  12. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

It depends on what you are after. There are three things that make a soap luxurious to me. The most luxurious lather feel that I have experienced is Klar Seifen. The best post shave feel is from Porasso or Biotique. The most luxurious scents that I have tried is from Barrister and Mann.

RyX and brit like this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think that the results from , Taylor of old Bond Street, alvocado shave cream, screem luxury. It's maybe the smoothest slickest I've encountered. Easily paired with anything, whether getting ready for boardroom, sports field, or formal dining, this can be appropriate.

brit likes this.
  14. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Jilek's is my first pick when I want a luxurious shave

or maybe Midnight & Two

brit likes this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I had a cupcake, it was pretty awesome, a luxury if you will...

cupcake.jpg

KUSTOM, PLANofMAN, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Yummy looking for sure'

RyX, PanChango and brit like this.
  17. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I’d recommend Martin De Candre Argumes as that is my favorite luxury shave soap.

brit likes this.
  18. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I love B&M and Caties Bubbles, but Ariana and Evans may be the best soap Ive tried. It’s a very luxurious experience. The art on the container, the wonderful scents, and an amazing, quick lathering soap the leaves your skin feeling amazing.

brit likes this.
  19. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Saponificio Verisino does it for me in both scent and performance. Their scents are uniquely their own; they're not trying to emulate common or classic scents.

jtspartan, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  20. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I've been using a Cold River Soap Works product called Schepenmelk and it is wonderful. Easy to lather, great skincare and a pleasant, but to me unidentifiable scent. It is what I call luxury.

Not done yet though, still looking for "The One"

brit likes this.