I Was Wrong About A Gillette Slim. Sorry

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dirtfarmer, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

........Awesomeness will follow!

brit, RyX and Terry like this.
  2. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

I've got 2 spots that give me trouble and I sometimes catch myself applying too much pressure and still don't get them perfectly shaved. A burn with the aftershave but no blood. So far, I don't know if it's been luck or what but I don't draw blood very often. Knock on wood. My first few shaves was with a Red Tip then I tried the Slim. I wasn't using the Slim proper so it wasn't what I was looking for. I then used a 48-50 SS and was kinda intimidated by the blade reveal. That's the one that I learned about the pressure. I thought my aftershave was mixed with battery acid. The next time, I just used the weight of the razor. The third best shave of my life. Then I got a old Tech and read RyX's post about riding the cap. Second best shave of my life. Stuff like this didn't interest me or stir up any kind of passion or what ever until I gave myself a good shave. Now I think I may be hooked. What have I gotten myself into. LOL

PLANofMAN, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Light pressure
    Ride the cap
    feel how your hair grows
    your doing great grasshopper.
    tp

RyX, brit, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  4. EDC

EDC Active Member

I had a disappointing first experience when I first used a slim on 2. Next day I moved up to 3 etc. Now I’m at 8 with feather blades and just loving it. No pressure over a slick lather. Truly a great razor. Birth year code M1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

If Chris @Bama Samurai were in this thread he'd spin a tune.
    :eatdrink047::happy093::happy088:

EDC, Bama Samurai and brit like this.
  6. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I've got a K 1 Slim coming after Christmas. Talk to me about this 1/4 turn thing. ?? What's the scoop on that? Sounds like a "lock" kind of thing?

:signs002:

Terry and brit like this.
  7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Close the barn doors as you wood any butterfly razor, then Gentley turn the knob 1/4 turn more. This will set the blade as designed.
    tp

S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  8. S Barnhardt

Thanks!

Terry and brit like this.
  9. Dirtfarmer

What Terry said. I figured it out the hard way. It'll shave ya but it won't be pretty. Or comfortable. I don't know why the Fatboy gets all the love between the 2. I've got both and I think the Slim is a better shave. YMMV.

S Barnhardt, Terry and brit like this.
  10. S Barnhardt

I'm sure you're right! I sure hope you are since I've got a Slim coming. I started out wanting a FatBoy, and still do, but couldn't seem to find one in my budget range. Figured the Slim, since it's adjustable like the Fatboy, would be close.

brit and Terry like this.
  11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Other than some ergonomic differences, they both shave the same, to me anyways.
    Enjoy your razor.
    tp

S Barnhardt likes this.
  12. Dirtfarmer

I think they probably do shave the same. I just like the underdog. :shaver

13. brit

brit in a box

the slimmer head on the slim works better under the nose for me..

Terry and S Barnhardt like this.
  14. S Barnhardt

Now to start looking to get some blades. I've looked and read and read. Seems everybody is happy with the Vokshod so I'll probably get some of those as well as some others. It's an ongoing search, huh?

Dirtfarmer, Terry and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

voskhod are nice and smooth,gillette silver blue and feathers seem to be a favorite as well,i have voskhods and russian gillettes for the most part.all in the high/mid sharp range..

S Barnhardt likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm not a fan of Voskhod, but I do enjoy and use multiple other brands of Russian blades.

17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

IF you have a truly tough, thick beard. I recommend learning to use feather, silver blue or something comparable. If your beard is more on the normal or easier shaved side, Gillette, Vokshod and most Russian steel should do. IF you get a harsh shave with the slim, ride the cap untill it smooths out but still cuts the whiskers.
    That's what I find, but my beard is more akin to a scrub brush than human hair.
    Good luck!
    tp

18. Dirtfarmer

I like the Nacet, Silver Blue and Vokshod blades very much. In that order.