ID this blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by helowrench, Jan 12, 2009.

1. helowrench

helowrench Member

I bought a package of DE blades at Albertson's (grocery store) due to the price for local availability. $2 for a 10pk, since they were being discontinued (1/2 price) No markings on the blades anywhere.
    Once I got fed up with trying to get a comfortable shave from the Merkur Super that I had stuffed in my W1 slim adjustable, I loaded one of these blades, and steeled myself for what I thought would be an agonizing experience.
    I was wrong.
    I had a wonderful shave with these things.
    Does anyone know what brand they truly are?
    I want more

Rob

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

They are probably ASR blades like Wal-mart sells,, it should say ASR onthe back of the cardboard part of the package... I find they shave very well.

Fuzzy

3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I grabbed the last two packs from our Albertson's when they discontinued them several months back and they were ASR (American Safety Razor Company) blades. They produce the U.S. Personnas and many other store brand blades. They all come in packaging similar to this:

[​IMG]

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I've got a few packs of the ones Guido posted and I find them fine, not spectacular but well above Merkur quality.

If your razor has a W-1 (1976) code it'd be a Super Adjustable, the Slims were phased out around 1967 I believe.

5. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

They discontinued the American Personnas? That's my go to blade! This sucks!

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    No, I think just Albertson's discontinued (aka stopped carrying) these blades.

Can probably still get them at Wal-Mart, CVS, Rite-Aid, such places.

7. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Found them at my local Wal-Mart over the weekend for $1.87.

Compare to $24 for an 8-pack of Fusion cartridges. :happy102

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Exactly.

9. slickskin

slickskin New Member

Wow, so if 1 fusion blade has 4 individual blades then the price per blade for the fusion is $.75

10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Whew! Had me worried there...

11. helowrench

helowrench Member

I tossed the package before I looked it over very closely, but the blade holder looks identical to that one.
    I did give the packaging a cursory inspection to look for a "packaged by ________ for Albertson's " type statement but could not find one.

Personna......... good to know to file away, as well as the other locations.
    Rob

12. helowrench

helowrench Member

OK Super Adj... got it
    (I had just compared it to others on here, in order to get an ID, does not really matter since I have "1" and it is my shaver. I uses whats I gots and dats dat)

Amen on the "well above Merkur quality" the Merkur had me rethinking whether I was going to fully commit to the DE changeover. The rebadged Personna blades have erased that line of thinking however, and have allowed me to go from using the DE on passes 2 and 3 to using it start to finish.
    Bear in mind that I am a headshaver as well.
    Rob

13. helowrench

helowrench Member

Couple of corrections that I noticed when shaving this morning.
    First, the Gillette is a M 1 (it helps if I hold it the right side up)

And the blades that I have, while having the same holder, specify on them that they are Stainless Steel, not Platinum Chrome, as the Personnas pictured above.

Oh denizens of the shaving counters, what say ye?

Rob

14. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

They are still ASR manufactured. And an M-1 would definitely make it a 1967 Slim Adjustable. Either that or a U.S. WWII through Vietnam era helmet, also known as an M-1. :D

[​IMG]

15. helowrench

helowrench Member

Definitely a razor, not a helmet since it does not have "HARDY" on a strap on the front.
    Besides the color is all wrong.

Thanks for the positive ID on both blades and razor.

Rob

16. helowrench

helowrench Member

looking at that picture again, I have two of those lighters, not the zippo style up front, but the two in the back.
    Cool

Rob

17. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

This is the one I picked up at Wal-Mart. The blade is marked "made in U.S.A.". They're next in line for me after this Blue is done. How good are these U.S. made blades?

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    They're generally considered "not bad". You'll certainly see more favorable reviews for the drug store Personnas than you will for Merkur's blades.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Until a friend here sent me some fancy blades... all I have been using for years are those wal mart ASR blades. They will give great shaves.

Fuzzy

20. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

If I read the code right, the Blue I used was from the first quarter of '56 (B1).

I used the Wal-Mart Personna this morning after skipping yesterday. All I can say is WOW. :D

(Take with a grain of salt. My first DE shave ever was on Tuesday. ;))