Idea for All-Brass Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

My go-to razors to date are my Merkur 34c HD and my Gillette Heritage-Inspired. My first safety razor and still used for traveling is my Van der Hagen branded Weishi 9306.

Now, although I love how my Merkur 34 shaves and is able to tackle three or four days' worth of growth, the ease of loading, and the balance, one thing I'm not a fan of is the knurling. I much prefer the knurling on my Weishi. I'm also don't care for the zamac head and base plate of my brass-handled Merkur, as this puts the weight in the handle instead of the head.

Then it hit me: What if there was an all-brass version of the Merkur 34c—head, base plate, and handle—but with the handle knurling of the Weishi? Plating can range from chrome to matte in several colors.

Is there even such a razor in existence? If not, would anyone be interested in making it?

2. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

KARVE, makes a line of all Brass Razors, and several other makers, produce at least one version, of an all brass razor..

I don't think any are similar to the Merkur, but they are amazing razors!

dmshaver, LaneP and Michael_W like this.
  3. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

I have to agree, a Karve B or C solid bar might be exactly what you are looking for. Alternately, inexpensive vintage Gillette Tech heads can be matched with an aftermarket handle of your choice and would probably feel somewhat similar to the 34C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

What about vintage? If you’re liking mild, try a Tech. You can get a nickel plated brass handle.

canoeroller likes this.
  5. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

I have a Karve with a solid bar c head. It is a bit more aggressive than any of my Techs, or my muhle. If you prefer mild, than go for the b plate. Great razor...machined like a dream, and it has very little blade feel, making it very smooth.

Michael_W likes this.
  6. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I'm actually a medium-aggressive razor guy, and Merkur 34 certainly falls into the medium category, albeit at the lower end of the range.

dmshaver likes this.
  7. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

In that case, I would consider a vintage Gillette New Long Comb or Short Comb razor (know as New LC or New SC). Both are on BST for affordable costs.

LaneP and Michael_W like this.
  8. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

Not sure if this is still relevant but I think the knurling of the Giesen&Forsthoff Pure Shaver brass handle looks very similar to the Weishi. Unfortunately the heads (said to shave similar to Merkur's CC, but with enclosed blade tabs) are also made of zamak.