Identification and replacement of butterfly razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by T_I, May 17, 2018.

1. T_I

T_I Active Member

Hi,

This is my first post and I need a bit of help identifying my current razor and advice on it's replacement. At the moment I have these 2 razors:

[​IMG]
    The left is my daily razor since 2 years. It's an old razor, of which I have no information other that that it was from my wife's grandfather. (both were) It has a long, square, blue handle which gets thinner near the end.

The short handle one on the right is a Matador DeLuxe. (at least, that's the name on it)

The handle of the Matador is too short, so I don't use it. (used it once, bloodbath) The left one I like a lot, but there's play on the butterfly mechanism, which results in a slight play in the blade before it's tight, which results in cuts from time to time. I like the butterfly method of placing a blade, especially as this razor leaves the left and right side exposed, so you can see if you use edge 1 or 2. I'm using Feather blades, they are marked that way and I use it, shaving 4 days with 1, 3 with 2 and replace blade every Monday.

I'm looking for a replacement, butterfly, long handle, preferably with a square handle (haven't found any yet) and when it even exists, adjustable. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the Merkur Progress 510, but that's not a butterfly razor.

Edit: I found on ebay that my razor is the Gillette Slim Twist. What I'm looking for is a Gillette Slim or black beauty. (The handle of the fatboy looks to thick for me) IS something like that still available new or do I need to fall back to used.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

First, I'll gladly take the Matador off your hands if you're interested in letting it go I've been looking for one.

In terms of new production you have butterfly razors from Weishi (9306), Baili (BR179), Pearl,/Parker (82/87/96/99 I think). Baili will run you about $10, Weishi about $20, Parker maybe $28. The Parker comes in a range of long and short handles. A new adjustable butterfly razor called the Parthenon is just now being released by Weishi/QShave which should be higher quality than those at $49.. it's brass and quite hefty.

Personally I think you get better value with a vintage razor where $15 will get you a nice Schick Krona (my choice), a bit more for a Gillette Superspeed, or $40-$50 for a Fatboy Adjustable, less for a Slim. The Sim Twist you have there is a fairly late Gillette model, the earlier ones are more brass than plastic and quite nice in comparison.

The Progress and its cousin the Variant are great but as you point out three piece.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The Parker 96R is a modern long handled butterfly DE razor. There is also the Parker Variant which is adjustable, but it isn't a butterfly or TTO opening. If you want to go "vintage" there is the Gillette Super Adjustable, a TTO with a long handle. I own both the long and short handle version of this razor and both give me nice shaves. Vintage Schick Krona's are another long handled razor with a TTO. Can I ask why the razor must be a "Twist To Open" style?
    There are also a couple of different handle versions of your first razor the "Slim Twist".

4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! While I do not have the "Slim Twist" razor, I just want mention that Gillette butterfly razors requires an extra quarter turn to fully tighten down the blade. As this requires slightly more force, many new to traditional shaving do not notice this feature. The play in blade holding you mention might be because of this.

RyX likes this.
  5. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

As I'm sure you know, the "extra quarter turn" thing is only for adjustables like the Fatboy, Slim and Supers, and not for non-adjustables like the OP's Slim Twist.

Enrico likes this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Nice Matador! Keep that one and ditch the plastic handled Gillette! A handle around 3 inches is perfect, you're supposed to use two fingers and a thumb to shave with, not your fist. Butterflies and adjustables are sales gimmicks that should have never been made, the best vintage razors ever made, and the ultra high end razors of today, are three piece razors. If you need mild, get a pre-war Tech, and keep the original handle on it.

jmudrick and AlDm like this.
  7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

A proper razor will balance a little less than 1 inch below the head, hold the razor at that balance point.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, @T_I, glad to have you.
    [​IMG]

Frijolero likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome to the show. If you want a new tto (twist to open) razor similar to the twist look up the Feather Popular. Round handle instead of square... but a good razor.

Frijolero likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Best vintage razors made mostly say Gem Junior or some take on that....just saying.

Frijolero likes this.
  11. T_I

T_I Active Member

As I'm not using it, I wouldn't mind parting with it. Do you have anything butterfly with long handle to trade?

Thanks, I went for the Parthenon black with the stand. (As I now use an Ikea soap platter to keep the razor from the shelf)

I've been looking for the slim adjustable, but the affordable ones are in the US and shipping to me (The Netherlands) is more then the razor would cost, when shipping abroad is even an option. Wouldn't mind having one though, so I setup a search at ebay, I'm curious what pups up.

Are there any full metal razors with a non-round long handle? What I like most about the twist is the flat handle.

Next to the ease of a change, the covers of the butterfly style are usually a tad less wide then the blade.

[​IMG]

I use the markings on the Feather blades to see which cutting edge I've been using, as I use 'I' on mon-thu and 'II' on fri-sun. (and Mondays place a new blade)

It's not play during shaving, it's a not perfect positioning while placing the blade that's an issue. While tightening the blade it can shift a tad, which sometimes results in cuts (I only notice a preposition is needed when it's to late)

I use all fingers, the pink I use to balance the razor a bit. I have the thumb on one side, 3 fingers at the top on the other side, pink at the tip of the handle. (at least at this length) As I've been shaving with long handled cartridge razors for ages, the ling handle fits perfect in my long hands. The short handle will result in a forced stance of the hand to get 3 fingers on it. (relaxed stance I can barely fit 2 fingers)

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Frijolero likes this.
  12. T_I

T_I Active Member

Ok, bought me a new and a used razor within a couple of hours. I found me a used Gillette Slim Adjustable, which needs at least some cleaning... (sellers pic)

[​IMG]

Any tips on how to clean the razor?

13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Scrubbing Bubbles is a good choice here in the States, not sure what the equivalent would be in the Netherlands. A good soak in warm water and dishwashing liquid followed by a good scrubbing with a toothbrush will work wonders. A quick soak in alcohol afterwards for sanitizing is a good idea.

Frijolero and kfbrady like this.
  14. T_I

T_I Active Member

Thanks. For plastic models they advise to use an oven cleaner to remove old paint. Would that work here without damaging the metal?
    Cleaning afterwards with alcohol was planned anyway, no clue what happened with it, so not taking any chances.

15. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use anything as caustic as oven cleaner. Slims also have painted numbers on the adjustment dial. You don't want to lose that paint.

Do as @cmorris357 says. Start with a dishwashing liquid and warm water soak to loosen up any crud. Then give it a good scrub with an old toothbrush. A scrub with a bathroom cleaning product - one without bleach - comes next. Then, if you really want to shine it up, try a mild metal polish, but don't go too crazy as you don't want to wear the nickel plating off the brass.

A final soak in a disinfectant - leave it to soak for a good 10 minutes - isn't a bad idea to sanitize it.

Frijolero and T_I like this.
  16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

:signs011:
    I would worry that an oven cleaner would affect the plating on the razor. If there is a non-bleach foaming bathroom cleanser available there it would probably be okay to use however, a few good hot water soaks and brushing will do wonders. Post some before and after pics when you finish.

Frijolero likes this.
  17. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Must be related to Shrek.

Frijolero likes this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

A lot of us use Scrubbing Bubbles ( bathroom cleaner foam) with good result.

Frijolero likes this.
  19. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Scrubbing Bubbles is the brand name of a bathroom cleaner produced by S. C. Johnson & Son. The product was originally named Dow Bathroom Cleaner after the Dow Chemical Company, its manufacturer at the time.Wikipedia

Introduced: 1968
    Tagline: We work hard. That's so you don't have to!
    Markets: North America <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Parent company: S. C. Johnson & Son

Frijolero likes this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I recall reading that Scrubbing Bubbles contains a chemical banned in the EU.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

TobyC and Frijolero like this.