Identification help

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Suhrim21, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I got these 2 razors. The Lionetti is definitely a 3/8" and the Lüko is 4/8".

Both razors are nice, but the Lüko seems like a complete base model. The scales feel like cheap plastic. The pin is loose which I can fix easily. Its stamped silver steel but I have my doubts about that.

Any help on history or anything else would be greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if the luko was made only for display. But if it can be made shave ready I am going to use it. I really love my smaller blades. I did notice in the pics the Lionetti looks like it has chips in the blade. That is just the photo. Both razors are in great shape and neither have anything wrong with the blades.

20200610_172753_compress2.jpg 20200610_172815_compress14.jpg 20200610_192752_compress19.jpg 20200610_192800_compress23.jpg 20200610_192803_compress85.jpg 20200610_192808_compress44.jpg

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    "Silver steel" isn't all that uncommon around the turn of the century. I don't recall exactly what the belief was, but they would add a small amount of silver to the steel. The amount was ridiculously small, around 0.001% silver. The name was later applied to a high carbon tool steel, that took a better polish than the more common cast steels of the time.

Generally speaking, a razor marked with "silver steel" is usually made from really good steel, ideal for making razors.

Suhrim21 likes this.
  3. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

The Lüko appears to have after-market scales, IMO.

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The LUKO looks to be Silver Steel, to me. I own a lot of Silver Steel razors, and they look almost chromed, when polished. Silver Steel is usually pretty hard, and takes on a fine edge.

5. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I hope these scales are after market. These things have to be the cheapest feeling scales I've come across.

I was thinking that when I bought it. It does look very similar to the japanese silver steel razors I own. I was hoping it was silver steel. If so it's going to be a very nice razor, especially after I get it rescalled.

DaltonGang likes this.