Identifying some Schick Injectors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shotwell, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I have four Schicks, and know next to nothing about them. Any chance you can help identify?

Cream smooth Bakelite handle:
    MADE IN U.S.A.
    U.S. PATS
    INSERT KEY
    EVERSHARP SCHICK in serif font, counter-clockwise.
    Blade guard has parallel lines across it.

[​IMG]

Cream ridged Bakelite handle:
    Same as above. Stamp of EVERSHARP SCHICK seems deeper and EVERSHARP seems to be in italics serif font, counter-clockwise.
    Blade guard has parallel lines across it.

[​IMG]

Butterscotch Bakelite handle (two of these, nearly identical):
    "U.S. PATENT
    NO. 1806087"
    "OTHER
    PENDING"
    "INSERT
    KEY"
    Circular section reads: "Schick" (mixed-case clockwise), "Injector"(mixed-case, outline font, counter-clockwise)

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

3. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Shotwell and Kilgore Trout like this.
  4. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Someone else can give you more detail.....
    But My off the cuff assessment would be....
    First one is not bakelite but plastic, a nd its one of the 'G's but I don't know which.
    Second one is 'G-8', also plastic handle...early '50's
    These next 2 are 'E' types and are bakelite handles....looks like the bottom one could be an E2...does the spring easily swivel to the left to open it for cleaning? If so it is an E2.
    They all should be GREAT shavers...I never met a Schick I didn't love...Enjoy!

SRNewb and Shotwell like this.
  5. Shotwell

I don't think so... What part would swivel? (I.e., where would I push?) None of them feel like they would swivel from what I can tell.

6. Shotwell

Update: well, I'll be dipped. It does swivel!

Learned something new. How about that.

7. Shotwell

Yeeesh, time for another dose of Scrubbing Bubbles. Or a tetanus shot the first time I shave with it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412115620.815571.jpg

They both swivel... The second one looks even gnarlier inside:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412115929.214954.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Scrubbing bubbles.. The only way I clean my injectors.... With a little help from the ultrasonic cleaner.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  10. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The second one, the G8, isn't supposed to open like the E, it may be hard to get it to close and it may cause some looseness and rattles. The G8 is the last of the E/G types Schick made before they started the I types that have a similar square ribbed handle. It's also my personal favorite of the E/G types because of the ergonomics of the handle.

178-bplatoon and Jayaruh like this.
  11. Shotwell

Well, solve one problem and another one takes its place, apparently... thanks to the TSD, I've figured out that you can open these (excepting the G8... which I opened and shut back up again per the post above).

But now, I will be darned if I can find any injector blades for sale ANYwhere nearby. Went to Walgreen's, Rite Aid, CVS, Meijer, and Kroger. No one stocks them here. I thought about just buying them on Amazon and waiting 2-3 days for them to arrive, but they seem a bit pricey there, surprisingly. (And I hate waiting, too.)

Looks like I'll have to just resign myself to not having my first SE shave with a Shick Injector in SEptember. Grrr.

Where is the best place to buy (locally, or online) injector blades? And what should I expect to pay, on average? (They seem to be going for about a buck per blade on Amazon, even in the larger quantities.)

Are there any brands you recommend? Or brands to steer clear of?

12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

13. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Amazon is a good source too.

14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Good idea not to open the G8 or any G types for that matter....after you clean those up....I find a simple swish in alcohol after each use keeps mine looking like new and germ free....If I don't use it for a while, some whitening tooth paste and an old tooth brush will bring it back to pristine quickly.....

The Personna 74's are NOS blades you can find on E-bay....one of the best ever...history making blade and pricey.
    The Schick Plus Platinums are NOS on e-bay, they are fantastic!...I consider them the Gold Standard against which all others are judged....
    The current Personnas made for EMS are the best price and although not as good as the Schick, still better than any DE blades I know of....in my opinion...Heres where I get mine...I recommend you call...turn over I believe is faster that way...
    Below is the EMS product discription, order no.'s and contact info.
    Stainless Steel "PTFE" Coated 20 blades in a dispenser.
    71990 Dispenser each 4.50
    71991 Dispenser 10/lot 42.00

Phone: 215-412-8400
    Toll Free: 800-523-5874

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Shotwell likes this.
  15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

16. Shotwell

Broken link? Hmm, actually it worked when I quoted it but not in the original.

BTW, found a pack of these NIB on eBay for $3.99 plus $2.32 shipping ($6.69 with sales tax because the seller is in my state). Seems to be about the lowest price for a small quantity.

17. BJV

BJV Active Member

Tom, I recently picked up a nice G, but the razor was already opened (which made it easier to clean). Other than using needle-nosed pliers to get it closed, is there a 'best' way to re-secure the head? G1.JPG

18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The way I got mine reclosed after I opened them:angry032:(before I knew better) was make a small wooden wedge out of a chop stick or use a popsickle stick(with one end sanded down to a wedge) then "VERY" carefully and gently lift the end of the clip a "TINY" amount, just enough, so it will slip back over the nipple on the handle, with a tiny amount of pressing. I can offer you NO guarantee this won't bend the clip, in point of fact the clip may already be bent from when it was moved the first time. Unfortunately you can't know if it was bent and so is loose until you get it back in place, then either it will rattle or if your "LUCKY" it won't.
    This is the only advice I can offer, so you may be better off waiting to hear from Tom. :)

19. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Eddie covered it pretty well, not much I can add. You might try to sort of squeeze the top together with one hand and try to push the spring with the thumb of your other hand and try to get it to ride over the little bump.

I've used dental floss to clean the area where the blade goes in the injectors, but quite honestly I don't worry about that area much. A soak in hot soapy dishwater, or a blast of Scrubbing Bubbles should kill any stray cooties but the edge of the blade never contacts that area of the razor anyway so I just don't see anything back in there as being any kind of a bio-hazard.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  20. BJV

BJV Active Member

I have the opposite problem: The spring is bent away from the bump, so it spins past the bump from left to right and back again. I think just a micro-bending back of the spring will click it closed, whereupon it will never be opened again (intentionally)!

DSCN0135.JPG DSCN0136.JPG