If you could only keep one safety razor. What one would it be??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill G, May 12, 2017.

1. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

My '56 Gillette Red Tip. Been using it exclusively almost daily for weeks now.

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

If obtaining blades was a concern then one of my Rolls would be my choice even though I don't get my best or easiest shave from them. However as far as the razor that give me my best shave it would have to be my Stahly shave head on my Weber Bulldog handle. :happy088:

AGHisBBS, Bill G and RyX like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Wow! Tough question. I'll probably go with my Schick E. if I answer this question tomorrow, it'll be some other razor.

AGHisBBS and Bill G like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I don't have any obsidian, but I've a chunk of flint the size of a... Fat Boy for scale. Where's my leather apron and pointy antler chisel?
    Flint.gif

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

#2 would be a much harder question. Bakelite Shake Sharp (with shim) easy number one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Bill G and Jorvaljr like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have a 08 that rates very high on my list of favorite DEs. The olds are great razors no doubt.

Bill G likes this.
  7. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Rockwell 6s, no question given the criteria. However, it was tough not to choose my grandfather's slim.

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

It would be very difficult to pick just one.
    I love them all for various reasons.
    I've got two (slim and ss) belonging to my grandad.
    One of my dad's.
    My wife got me the sledgehammer.
    My daughter got my futur for me.
    My fatboy, executive,slims of my birthyear/quarter, set of superspeeds, long combs, short combs, tech's, single ring, and @John Beeman gave me my aristorat.
    My collection now includes some matadors, cadet, and pearl. Also a very nice parker.
    I've got a couple of stahly razors (maybe the most underratedly smooth head), and one can't forget the Berkeley custom shaver.
    Two versions of the rolls.
    I've been blessed with some vintage that it is getting increasingly difficult to replace (grand shave king self lubricating razor, barbasol floating head).
    I've managed to put together a set of hones that can make a shavable edge. Three dozen or so straight razors, some one of a kind custom works of art, restored by artisans in their endeavors. Thank you @HolyRollah and @Drygulch
    Some blades that have cut whiskers for over a hundred years.
    Every so often someone asks about having only one. I have a collection wide enough to learn to use the rest of my life, and I'll prolly add a few before I'm done (Lord willing).
    I can't say, now that I have them. But I will say, if I had gotten my progress first, I may not have looked any farther. That's as close as I can narrow it down. And I'm not gonna write this out again, it is just to much typing. So I hope you all find the answer for YOU, at the end of the day, that's what counts.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  9. Slant Fan

Slant Fan Member

What a horrible thought ! Probably my Razorock Wunderbar if push came to shove.

AGHisBBS and Bill G like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

You don't need to get the mergress you can get a progress or a Parker variant. A mergress is just an overpriced progress with a custom tto knob.

11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Actually it's a standard progress, with a custom knob.

12. Jorvaljr

My choice of one and only one would be my fat handle techs.. Any one would do.

brit, AGHisBBS, Bill G and 1 other person like this.
  13. Jorvaljr

lol I thought I said that.

14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I guess I would get another r41(I gave nine to my son) .

Keithmax and Bill G like this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Or maybe my progress, or my g-bar, I don't want to think about it.:angry017:

Bill G and Jim99 like this.
  16. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Ugh, I forgot about my grandfather's fat handled tech. This is the razor I learned on. I may have to change my answer now...

RyX, AGHisBBS, Bill G and 2 others like this.
  17. Jorvaljr

Totally my favorite and in my opinion the best Gillette. Mild but I get a better shave and more efficient than any other I have. Bbs no problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I love my timeless razor, but just because it has 9 settings...I would probably have to go with the Gillette Fatboy. Both are incredible choices however.

RyX, AGHisBBS and Bill G like this.
  19. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I own and use Gillette techs. I also collect them. I can easily get a BBS shave from them at any time.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  20. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

When I first started accumulating razors, it was to find a modern razor that shaved like my pre-war tech. To this day, I haven't found one and because it's got so much sentimental value, I never travel with it and rarely use it. The pre-war fat handled tech is probably the most efficient razor I own. It's aggressive enough to do the job well but not TOO aggressive (I do not like aggressive razors).

RyX, AGHisBBS and Bill G like this.