Ikon shavecraft 101

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bayercy, Oct 6, 2014.

1. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

Hello guys,
    I have been in traditional shaving for 8 months. I started with wilkinson sword classic then i purchased rimei and the last i got a merkur progress. I like all. But i am not happy with progress looking. I saw ikons. They are too expensive but what good looking razors! Shavecraft 101 costs fair enough for me. But i have some question marks about its shave. Could i be satisfied it?
    Some says too mild razor. What are your opinions?
    Thank you.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One never knows for sure until one tries the razor on one's beard.
    What don't you like about the Progress? The results? The feel of the razor? Switching razors may or may not solve the issue. You can get a shavecraft or an Ikon, but there's absolutely no guarantee you'll like those any better than your current razor(s).
    BTW: I'm not sure how one classifies a razor as 'too mild'? Too mild compared to what? A hacksaw? A butcher knife? A wide-open Futur? ;) Either a razor reduces hair with each pass, or it simply scrapes the face.
    Now there are degrees of aggressiveness (i.e. certain razors are more efficient that require fewer passes), so a razor can be too aggressive for one's tastes. So I suppose one could argue a razor is too mild, but only if one has experience with or preference for the more aggressive models.

RaZorBurn123 and Tdmsu like this.
  3. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

@HolyRollah thank you for your detailed explanations. I think it is a kind of madness:) i want to buy and try many. Frankly progress has a good shave. I feel like that; if progress is a family car, ikon is a sport car.:)
    I realised i must go on progress for a while. Thank you for your good guiding

4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

What exactly is wrong with the Progress? What blades are you using? It could be your setting is to mild or you need to try a different blade.

5. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Good advice here. I love my 101, but I would suggest that you really get to know your Progress. You can always get more razors later.

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have a SC101. Mild? Yes. Efficient?. Yes. Great quality?. Yes. Am I happy with the SC101?. You bet.
    I also have the iKon 5piece DLC. If you want more aggressive, I'd suggest the standard head.

Omelmad and Tdmsu like this.