iKon Standard/Deluxe head razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Allen-Edmonds, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I recieved mine earlier this week. Open Comb Deluxe, Bulldog Handle, Matte Finish (#33).

I have shaved with it twice so far, with a Shark Super Stainless.

Superb Shave. The easiest BBS I have ever gotten. I have a tough spot on my neck which it took care of no problem. I would have to say that while I would consider it aggressive, it was relatively smooth too.

2. Sparafucile

Sparafucile Member

Please post a detailed review after you have shaved with it for a while. I've been looking at the one you just bought, but I'd like to know how aggressive it is and how you feel about it after a week or two. Thanks for your post!

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I found the standard head closed comb a bit mild for my tastes. Greg generously offered to trade me an open comb base plate at no additional charge. He is definitely a stand up guy that produces a beautiful product. I eagerly await the open comb base plate and cannot wait to shave with it. I give my experience with Greg and iKon razors a big thumbs up and will feel comfortable buying from him and recommending his razors to others.

4. kevtex

kevtex Member

Could anyone that has the standard head measure the blade gap? Thanks

5. sffone

sffone Member

I shaved with mine today for the first time and I discovered the same issue. If the handle is tightened all the way down, the razor doesn't shave particularly well, but if you back the handle off by roughly one-half turn the razor provides a great shave. Also, one corner of the bottom plate had a tiny burr that occasionally scratched my face, so I'm going to have to smooth that off. Today's shave was with the standard head. Tomorrow, I'll try the open-comb, deluxe head. I bought one of each type because I really like the idea of a stout, all-stainless razor at a reasonable price. Overall, I'm pleased with the iKon. Tomorrow I'll post my impression of the deluxe version.

6. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

Well, with the holiday, there was no mail delivery today.:( Maybe tomorrow will be my lucky day and mine will show up in my mail box. Also, the drama as to whether it's the closed comb (which was ordered) or the open comb (which was what the shipping email stated) will end. This is already known to Greg and he has guaranteed to make things right should the order be er, wrong.

Dang, I need a shave but the sunburn might give me pause at least until the mail gets delivered, and judging by what I'm hearing, I might want the open comb. My "go to" is Merkur 34c loaded with Iridium.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

So,you have me thinking about one razor with an open & closed base place?

8. sffone

sffone Member

I definitely recommend the open comb, "deluxe" head. I have both types, and the standard, closed comb is a bit of a problem: I have to slightly loosen the handle in order to get a good, close shave. The open comb version is a different story, I shaved with it this morning for the first time: it shaves close and smooth. In fact, I don't think it's possible to get a better shave and would put it up against any other razor on the market, regardless of price or pedigree. I think I'll contact Greg about getting another open type base plate for my standard head because I don't want to have to be concerned about handle torque every time I shave.

9. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Greg, I sent an email off to you yesterday with a few questions...

I am hoping to order the Deluxe Bulldog High Polish.. but I also want a Standard head.. Can you email me pricing and availability on the ala carte items? Or is it on the website but I am missing it...?

Also, I have two heads I would like to use with the Bulldog handle.. Both are made by Hoffritz and are three piece, one with a slant bar head and one open comb.. are the threaded studs standard sizes? Will the ikon handle thread on to the studs of the heads I have?

10. Allen-Edmonds

Allen-Edmonds Member

Good news. Today's shave was quite good. I still don't find this razor to be a smooth shaver (feels rough going down the face compared to my Merkur 1904 head or Muhle R89 head), but it offered up a close shave without any nicks.

11. SirWhiskers

SirWhiskers Member

I had the o/c version with the long handle. I found the fit & finish disappointing, mine had quite a few obvious flaws, the most important of all being the uneven blade gap and uneven finish of the top plate edges. I ended up returning mine, lesson learned for me: never buy a first production run.

12. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

From these reviews I'm glad I didn't jump the gun on this one.

13. Medic_Coop

Medic_Coop New Member

So, I received my deluxe head bull handle brushed iKon today. I also received the standard base as well. I would have to say there is a drastic difference between the two.

The standard base plate caused the blade to "warp" in the middle when tightened down and I will not loosen the handle to get a good shave. It appears the blade is almost touching the base in the middle of the cutting edge on each side and has a large gap on the ends. If someone else could maybe explain this a little better that is having this problem as well....that would be great. It should just works and it doesn't. I refused to put the razor on my skin in this way because of this. It looks like it will just tear your skin up. So, I hope this is corrected soon, as I see this is a problem others have had.

Using the razor with the deluxe base on the other hand was completely on the opposite end of the spectrum. The blade gap was just about perfect, and the razor gave me the best shave I have ever had with a DE razor. I do believe that the deluxe iKon will soon become one of my favorites.

It is weird how much different that the two bases are from one another. I hope that Greg is able to correct this situation for us whom have the first run standard bases.

Please don't take this as bashing as I think the fit and finish is wonderful and I will get tons of years of use out of the deluxe head version. Many things have problems on the first production runs that are great items after corrected.

14. sffone

sffone Member

I pretty much agree with this assessment. Though the standard head gives me some problems, the deluxe head gives me some of the best shaves I've ever had, and I've been wet-shaving for more than 40 years, so I have a lot to compare it to!

15. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Well, to follow up, I have been shaving with the open comb deluxe since I recieved it. It continues to give great shaves. The heft is great with the bulldog handle too.

This thing shaves so well that I have considered getting rid of some of my vintage 'shaving quality' razors (sacrilege)!

Based on the statements above I am really glad I ordered the deluxe.

16. MikekiM

I did the same... I have a slant bar head that is from an incomplete vintage travel kit that I want to use on the bulldog handle..

17. Medic_Coop

Medic_Coop New Member

I have decided that this is my favorite razor...Deluxe head! It is great!

18. M.Stef

M.Stef New Member

Wow super picts is That razors adustable....

19. MikekiM

still waiting for mine to arrive

20. Medic_Coop

Medic_Coop New Member

Mine took about 3 weeks to arrive. It all has to do with customs. Greg shipped very quickly, but it takes time to get here. Post what you think when you get it.