Ill show you mine, if you show me your!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Bobby Mac, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

Although , I have not decided on a scuttle yet! I figured it may fun if everyone posted a picture of their favorite scuttlle (feel free to add any other shaving gear that you love to the photo)

When I finally decide and buy a scuttle, Ill attach a photo!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

All my mugs; G5 from Georgetown Pottery back left.
    mugs (Medium).JPG

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Scuttles are impractical for me, as I shave in the shower. But here is my favorite lather bowl.
    [​IMG]

4. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

I use this natural "scuttle" because its A: lightweight. B: wood and not breakable while shaving in my shower and C: rough interior while mixing to drum up a good lather when used. Shes sweet! I usually build my lather in my hand, but for a few "harder" soaps to create lather, I use this. I Find the round shape to help me create lather. I dont like mugs because of the "Noise" of the brush clinking on the sides of the mug. ITS usually EARLY DAMMIT!!!

[​IMG]

5. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

I still don't have a "real" scuttle, but HERE is what I have used! My favorite is the scentsy wax warming thing. It heats up the ceramic with a small light bulb. It doesn't get too hot before the shave is over, but it keeps the lather nice and warm! Had to ask SWMBO for permission, but I think its officially part of the den now! ;)

6. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Now my only one and definitely the one I wanted. LadySea Creations, in Tiger's Eye.

LadySea 1.jpg LadySea 2.jpg

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  7. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

Some nice looking stuff! Thank you all foe sharing...

However, there has been 96 views but only a few photos - C'mon, don't be shy!?

8. swarden43

Maybe because we've shown you ours, but you haven't shown us yours? :p
    C'mon, don't be shy!

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've used one of these ceramic onion soup bowls with handle for the longest time. does the job well, has a cover. A soap puck fits nicely inside it.
    [​IMG]
    This ceramic soup bowl is now relegated to holding soap...
    [​IMG]

First scuttle, a little 'travel' scuttle by Robert Becker. Keeps the lather nice & warm. A bit small for everyday use, but handy to take on road trips...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moved up to a full-sized Becker scuttle. REALLY does a nice job of keeping the large bowl of lather piping hot!
    Plus I just love the look...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two scuttles, side by side...
    [​IMG]

alpla444 and Raven312 like this.
  10. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

LMAO! You got me there... But, in all fairness, I did say Ill attach photos of "when" my new scuttle arrives. It should be here tomorrow or Friday *toes and fingers crossed

As of right now, Im using my wife's morning "tea" mug! (I pray she never finds this forum, lol) Its the biggest one we have and retains heat well!

With that said, I will definitely post a pic by Saturday! I cant drag and drop a photo correct? Anytime I want to add a photo on a forum it wants a URL? Not sure if it is the same here?

11. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

Wow man, Thanks for sharing... That larger scuttle has the most gorgeous lather - emmm, looks good enough to eat, man!

Well for those of you have shared, Thank you!

I see a LadySea Creations and Robert Becker Scuttle in my future! Both very nice pieces.

12. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

It just arrived!

Pretty bummed, I have to do some errands so I can't try it out yet. Hopefully I can use it this evening!?

Attached Files:

swarden43 likes this.
  13. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece of pottery indeed! ;)

14. swarden43

Beauty! Love the color. May it serve you well with many warm lathers!

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Great looking scuttle! I'm with Steve—that blue is killer!

Test drive: compare (time it) how well it keeps the temp using plain HOT tap water vs stove or microwave-heated water.
    I've tried all three (even microwaving the entire large water-filled scuttle for 2 minutes). Although the 2-minute nuke provided the 'hottest' temp and lather, the higher heat diminished some of the lather's body. My compromise was to use very HOT tap water (fill it and the bowl with brush in a sink) while I shower—I get nice warm, full lather for 30 minutes...even though my shaves only take about 1/2 that long. It's also one less step (not having to travel to the kitchen) and for me, simplest is often best!

Enjoy!

Raven312 likes this.
  16. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

So I tested it this morning with only hot tap water (maybe tonight I will try the other two? if not they will be on my next shave) mind you my tap water is really hot!

Anyway I didn't think to take a picture until my third lather so there is not as much lather in the scuttle as I would have wanted for the picture. However this is what I did:

I filled up with hot hot water before I went into the shower to let the scuttle heat up. When I got out of the shower I dumped it and refilled it. Now I went ahead and did all my prep, once my prep was done I dumped that water out and filled up again, then whipped up my lather!

1st and 2nd lather were nice and hot but the third lather was in between warm and hot, but still satisfying... As a result I would say the g 12 Scuttle will hold a hot lather for a minimum of 20 minutes

Attached Files:

swarden43 likes this.
  17. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Excellent! It's great when beauty and function collide. Do you feel your money was well spent?

18. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Great looking scuttles everyone :)
    I don't use a scuttle myself, just a lather bowl.