I'll start, you finish

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by neiasden, Oct 1, 2022.

1. neiasden

neiasden Member

before I do this for the first time I'm going through my notes.
    installing a wedge into a new set of scales

take your wedge material, attach the blade with a markup screw or just put a piece of rod through it. measure the wedge in thickness so that it holds the scales apart enough for the blade to rest where you want it. measure the length.

make your wedge and put the thinnest end towards the end of the scales.

someone else's turn:

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Depending on your scale build

The starting point for thickness is about 1/2 the tang thickness at the pivot hole, the angle for the wedge should match the angle of the Tang
    These are just general guidelines to help you get the first few done, after that you will do them by feel and sight

Remember this only works if the scales are thin enough to flex as the razor opens and closes, I haven't ever made a set out of anything and had it thicker than 1/8" or .125"
    Most material leaves at around .100-.115" so it flexes..

Honey Horn Scales:

[​IMG]

I didn't think this stuff up or invent it, I simply looked at what the Vintage razor builders did and how they did it, the builds really are intricate on how they were done .. Most every vintage razor will balance to the tang when fully open also..

Before you attempt the pins check the razor for off set
    Many are NOT straight
    Set the razor on a flat surface and press down on the pivot hole, note how far the spine is off the surface (Tang Angle) flip it over and see if it matches front to back >> It is much easier to adjust for off set BEFORE you finish the build than after

See the difference below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Karl G, Steve56 and DrStrange like this.
  3. neiasden

neiasden Member

uhhhh, I have been watching enough of your videos, listening to you explain this I completely understand, I had no idea,I've heard offset but I didn't know what it was, I figured it was a mistake or something so I wasn't worried about it yet, but the closer I get to ready it's funny I almost get nervous I've working at it already messed up on things I knew to look for SMH. I don't know how you do it boss. there are some amazing people on here, you are one of them. thank you for taking the time to explain this I will benefit from it and hopefully pass it on to somebody else. but I'm going to do this I might as well do it right.

Karl G likes this.