Illinois Barber strops

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gadabout, Mar 21, 2016.

1. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

Any opinions on Illinois Barber strops? In particular, I'm looking at the #127 and #206 models.

This will be my first (and hopefully only) strop. I'm not planning on getting into straight razors in a big way. Just looking for a usable and reasonably-priced strop to use with my one straight razor, which I'm still in the process of restoring.

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Here is what I can tell you

I bought a #835 in 1981 it is a little rough from use, but I still have it and I could use it

I use a #827 the Russian finish version of the #127 every single day on the razors I hone professionally

The Linen is intimidating for many until it is broken in and it can take some time,, The leather is well made and well conditioned

There are MANY better strops out there but the Illinois is a solid choice...

45auto, HolyRollah and Mustache like this.
  3. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

If Glen says it's good, then it's good.

I bought the #827 on his recommendation and it is a nice strop.

4. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

Thanks!

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:
    Heavy, well-made and affordable strops that, as Glen mentions, do take some time to break in. Real work horses that seem to last....

6. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Glen what is a "Russian finish" ?

Keithmax likes this.
  7. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Russian Finish is a Rougher finish almost Suede like, often the backside of the strop will be Scored so that the heavy less worked leather will still flex well

I like them because they are a nice Med-Heavy draw which keeps me in complete control of what I want from the razor..

Keithmax and 45auto like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Interesting. I wonder if that is a holdover from the days when Russian horsehide leather strops were considered the finest in the world. They were tanned with willow bark and treated with birch oil, which gave them a unique color and aroma, but also made them supple and water resistant.

The manufacture of this leather ended with the 1917 revolution.

Keithmax likes this.
  9. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

So there is a reason why I get different finishes on my straights depending on which strop I use.

Keithmax likes this.
  10. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah I guess,,

Personally I have never been a big proponent of the "Progressive" stropping theory - BUT - we also talk about sub-micron changes when going on about hones and pastes so I guess there very well could be a difference...

I do feel that we as SR shavers tend to go on and on about honing when in all actuality stropping plays more of an active roll in maintaining the edge and presenting the best feel to the face on a daily basis...

I have a theory that the better the draw matches your stropping technique the better you strop so you get a better edge to your face, might be simplistic thinking, but it seems to be true...

11. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

HolyRollah likes this.
  12. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Great questions asked, Joe. Regrettably the answers seem 'canned' in a corporate-safe sales voice. "Fromm is dedicated to providing the finest products worldwide as we always have..." Umm...that's good to know but you really didn't answer my question on how they're made, etc...;)

14. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I'm telling you. I went back and forth for like 2 months trying to get those answers.

HolyRollah likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Oh, I'm sure you did! I understand the guarded responses from the customer relations dept- but it's not like you're asking them to divulge classified secrets... Unless the leather strop industry is a literal 'cut-throat' business where technology is state-of-the-art and proprietary.

Mustache and JoeB like this.
  16. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Well if they don't want to give you some kind of an idea on what you are buying then tell them you will go elsewhere...

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Mitch loves to play hardball! :ahem:
    Further information would indeed be helpful but in many cases the customer service rep's hands are tied by company policy as to how much and what exactly can be divulged about a product.
    I don't think the response from Fromm is sinister or deceptive. They simply prefer to give out stock answers for most queries they receive from the general public. I guarantee the answers they give to their vendors is a bit more informative.

45auto likes this.
  18. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Somebody has to!...if you are buying something off the web and not being able to feel its softness or stiffness check the stitching then I do believe they should give you direct answers to your questions and drop the dog and pony show.

19. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

We originally planned a podcast interview with the manufacturing manager and they were all about it.

Oh well what can you do. Larger companies are so afraid of saying the wrong thing. They probably have a script for most of their answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    HolyRollah and Robyflexx like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Exactly…..