Im having "atg" trouble?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Duke42o, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Duke42o

Duke42o New Member

Hey every body for being new to de shaving im doing ok i guess except for my atg pass im tearing myself up im getting so much tug and not so much shave but been having to do the best i can with de untill i cant and then i know its sinfull but having to grab the cartridge to do the rest of the atg and buffing pass but then just cut myself even more up cuz of the cheap cartridge then look like freakin freddy kruger for a lil bit not so much lasting irritation as much as just blood and nics and burning for about an hour im thinkn its just me tho im getting better at everything accept my atg any suggestions

RyX likes this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Until you get your technique down, you may consider skipping the ATG pass. Are you trying a full three pass shave? If you are getting a lot of tugging, I would bet your are using too steep an angle with your razor. Try a very shallow angle, what we often call Riding the Cap. Check out this thread:

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/3pc-de-aggressive-razor-fundamentals-riding-the-cap.51048/

You should also consider joining the 30 Day Rule thread here:

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/december-2018-30-day-rule-focux-pix-discussion.60827/

Those guys are very helpful in getting technique sorted out and helping reduce the learning curve.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Could be prep, angle, blade or any combination of the three. In any case, practice/trial and error is key but first, heed Norcal's sound counsel, it'll pay off.

Duke42o, Screwtape and Norcalnewb like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Agree with the above. Please don't take offense, but a bit of punctuation might help us (me) understand what your issues are.

Duke42o, AGHisBBS and Norcalnewb like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

@Duke42o - several things mentioned by those who posted before me need to combine for your shaves to smooth out. Here's some questions that folks in The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group would ask in an attempt to diagnose the issues.

Lather? Everyone's skin is different. Finding a soap that makes your razor slide and glide is important. Learning to combine soap or cream, water, and air into a fully functional lather is a process. If your lather is weak the razor may skip and catch. What soap or cream, brush, mug or bowl (or face lathering) are you using? This all falls into the "Prep" category.

Next your razor - what type? DE covers a wide group. Please share specifically the maker and model number if that info is known. Unless yours is a one of a kind prototype there are others that have used one like it and can offer their ideas. While blade choice seem to mean less later on making sure you aren't using a truly "bad" blade to learn is important. Doesn't happen often but good blades can be damaged either from the pack, or as a consequence of poor shaving technique. It's commonly suggested that new DE shavers use a blade three time then replace it with a fresh one. This keeps you in the best part of the blade life and removes "dull blade" as a cause of poor shaves.

One of those ways of shortening DE blade life is the angle your blade contacts the hair shafts. Imagine a straight razor - it's laid almost flat against the skin, with the back side (spine) slightly lifted from the face. I've heard 27 degrees as an optimal angle. Now switch you view to your DE. There's the cap that covers the top of the blade, and guard bars that are under the blade. By placing the cap against your face and tipping just until the blade makes contact you have assumed a "Ride The Cap" posture. It takes some skill to maintain this angle all over your face but this is where the blade cuts best. Tipping too far until the guard bar is rubbing sets the blade in a scraping position. Buttered toast? Lay your knife flat to the bread smears the butter versus at 90 degrees perpendicular that scrapes off the toasted crumbs (Skin, ouch).

So take a moment, share some of those details about the equipment you are using, and read that opening post in The 30 Day thread. I know you can do this. It's partly forgetting Cartridge habits, and then developing DE Techniques!

Duke42o, wristwatchb and Screwtape like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

When I went from cartridge to DE, I pressed to hard. The cartridge razor is more for that kind of run. I skipped the 3 pass shave for a long time because of this. I also noticed the right blade helps some, you find this thru trial and error. The harsh 3rd pass is because of the lack of skill using a DE. You unwitingly shave like you have a cartridge razor in your hand, therefore to much presure being used. I got a wonderful close 1 pass shave for months. Then went to 2 passes and that was great. Then about 9 months in, I tried 3 passes, my skill level had reached a point where it was possible. Now at 2 passes and good skill, I got a closer shave than I ever got from a cartridge razor. Now 10 months in I have a crazy great 3 pass shave.
    Rules to remember!

1. Never ever run a razor over unlathered skin. Hard to unlearn!

2. Use light presure. Hard to unlearn.

3. The angle of the razor is MOST importaint! Gota teach your arm this stuff and unlearn the press and scrap method.

4. Take your time! Another hard lesson to learn. You will get quicker with time and skill.

5. You are getting the muscle memory set up to use a different type of razor.
    This takes time!

6. Take heed of the growth of your beard, then shave accordingly.

Point!
    A 3 pass shave is exactly that, only 3 passes.

I see on youtube guys running a razor over the same spot they just ran the razor over, with no lather there to protect the skin, ouch! don't do that!

With time and practice you will get better. If you really want a great, smooth shave, you will do this.
    I did!
    Good luck!!!
    tp

7. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I would echo what everyone else has already said. Especially the invitation to join us in the 30DC!

I would add this: there is nothing magic about either a three-pass shave or about going ATG. I have been shaving very well with DE, Gem SE and Schick-type injector razors for a little over two years now - ever since I joined the 30DC in October 2016 and learned how to lather and shave properly. And my standard daily shave is two passes with a bit of buffing. I find three passes both unnecessary and too irritating to my skin to do daily. Also ATG - I now do my first rather than my last pass on my neck and the underside of my jaw ATG, but I never go ATG on my face at all. Again, unnecessary for a smooth shave and far too harsh.

Everybody 's face (and shave) is different. You may eventually find you are even a four-pass daily shaver. But while you are learning the techniques of the DE razor, I would recommend you start with only a single WTG pass. When that is comfortable, then maybe add in XTG. Save the ATG for last when you already have the shallow angle and light pressure memorized.

For that matter, remember that the three-pass shave is a recent invention of the members of the shaving forums. When the DE razor was in its heyday throughout the 20th century, its uncounted millions of users mostly did one-pass shaves with a bit of touchup -- and ATG wasn't even considered by 99.9% of them.

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat