I'm Stunned! The New Taconic Shave Cream....

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Str8on2, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Last week I put in an order for the new Parker Slant razor at Super Safety Razors which was delivered yesterday and gave me a very good shave. But, that's not the reason for this post. My thing is the sample of shaving cream that was included in my order. Howie, the owner of SSR who is great at adding little samples of stuff, threw in a little jar of their new shaving cream that comes in an 8oz pump container, the Lavender/Lime scent. I decided to give it a go with last nights Slant shave. The shave cream is nearly of a hand lotion type of consistency with a very nice Lime scent that is pronounced but, not too sharp as you can still get a nice subtle whiff of the Lavender that is clean and lightly floral. Again, it's Lime through and through which I really liked.

I poured out maybe a small sized almond amount of the cream into my bowl and went to it with my damp Graydog Badger gradually adding a few drops of agua 2-3 times. Goodness gracious! What a lather was had. Thick and rich that was ready to go within a minute of starting. I honestly had enough lather for almost 2 full shaves. I regret not taking a couple of pics. Perhaps on my next shave I'll post a few.

Anyways, the lather provided excellent protection and glide with above average residual slickness. 2 passes with a minor chin buff and it was near BBS, definitely a DFS shave. No irritation, nics or cuts and a very smooth and supple feeling skin afterwards. I was thoroughly impressed on just its first outing. The scent is great, the lather phenomenal and the post results were top notch.

I'll finish off the sample and get a few more shaves in just to make sure it wasn't a fluke but, I can dial in some soap and get healthy amounts of lather from just about anything and this here was no different. I just might look into getting a full sized jar if the results are consistent. Follow up shaves and pics coming.....

710F2DCA-E5EC-45DB-8A96-8A5022B8BB54.jpeg

Jim99, steve207, PLANofMAN and 11 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Sounds like a great cream, Gus.

3. Str8on2

Hello Primo,
    Let me say this and I reinforce my previous statement about the Taconic soap line. I've tried their hard soap and their shave stick soap. Ok but, I found them to be a bit of underperformers and really needed a crazy amount of load time just to get an acceptable amount of lather. Just not worth going at them when there are some really good performers out there (maybe I'm just spoiled and I'm expecting to much from a soap). But this stuff just made me say "Woah, this is something else". Put in 3 shaves with it and it has performed very well from the word go.

Here are a few pics from start to finish. As you know, I love my lathers to be super wet and slick while still maintaining a dense and creamy body. I do push my soaps/creams very close to the breaking point but, it works for me. And they deliver every time.....

Just under a minute of building and adding some agua a few drops at a time. It does have just a tiny bit more air bubbles than I would like and maybe I just have to play with my water/soap mix ratio a bit. Nonetheless, it was still a very nice and dense lather that offers excellent protection and slickness.....

E8D24626-6456-41D0-8857-FFAC34DC14A9.jpeg
    3A84A567-B780-4925-AF6E-AC25720C44F8.jpeg
    786E5231-0B72-4119-9DDA-C927721EEB6A.jpeg
    27812082-4E3A-4B4D-AE8A-8209C0C61D31.jpeg
    325EB8F7-E71D-41DC-B992-2CE7ABFB9641.jpeg

I ordered the 8oz pump bottle in the Lavender Lime & a tub of the Tequila Lime shave cream yesterday. I just received notification that they are out for delivery today. Less than 24 hours after my purchase. Of course, SSR is only about 30-40 miles away from me NY to NJ but, still that's outstanding service if you ask me.

If you'd like to try a bit Primo, don't hesitate to ask a pm will do it brother.

Happy shaves.....

sjdude, brit and Frijolero like this.
  4. sjdude

sjdude New Member

Thanks for this review :) Always interested in lime fragrance products, so this grabbed my attention. A friend gave me a puck of Taconic Eucalyptus Mint shaving soap, and while I like the fragrance, the performance of it was underwhelming (seems similar to glycerine based soaps, which I don't much appreciate). So your review of this lime cream is intriguing. Might have to give it a try! Thanks!

Frijolero and Str8on2 like this.
  5. Str8on2

Another fine shave cream from Taconic. This one is the Tequila Lime scent and man does it deliver in scent and performance. More Lime dominant but, if you’ve ever smelled a good Blue Agave Tequila which has that tart/sour and herbaceous like scent, this cream has it. Very, very nice aroma and extremely pleasing. The performance again is top notch and this is a true shave cream which is a bit thicker than the shave cream that comes in the hand pump jar. Equal in all aspects in regards to protection, glide and slickness to the Lavender Lime rendition. I must say that these shave creams have been an excellent surprise and both have earned their stay in my rotation of soaps and creams.

A9365698-8989-4088-852C-3C3BC0A7FA1B.jpeg

Frijolero and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave sir..

Str8on2 likes this.
  7. Str8on2

A few more pics of the label contents, ingredients and such. This stuff is slicker than Llama snot....

1E5F5111-9D65-4CAE-B1D6-6277486C5EB7.jpeg
    427D783F-4AD6-49B7-87C0-39472665F35D.jpeg
    7DFF8A47-3924-4EEE-9129-C581C8C0D634.jpeg
    3FE83E5B-3820-48A5-8DB5-E31F324FB8E7.jpeg
    EE54E56B-75E9-4779-BDAE-D4D86EC75B6C.jpeg

8. brit

brit in a box

9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Thanks for the excellent reviews. SSR is a first class operation, thanks to the attentive service provided by Howie. I bought my Variant from them when they were the only place carrying them.

I just recently started getting into creams after many, many years of using soaps almost exclusively. I'll have to put this one on my list of creams to try. Plus, any excuse to support this excellent vendor.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    brit and Str8on2 like this.
  10. Str8on2

Great post. Howie is really all about getting it right. Great products with excellent customer service. Goes well beyond the norm to make sure all customers are happy and satisfied.....

brit and DesertTime like this.
  11. DesertTime

Well, I just ordered some. @Str8on2, you are a bad influence on us. I swear you're the Mephistopheles of The Shave Den.

12. Str8on2

Lol! I just corrupt and collect the Shave souls that are doomed!!

Enjoy my friend and look forward to your thoughts on the performance.....

DesertTime and brit like this.
  13. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member

Did a review of it myself. It was slick, but post shave was a little lacking in my view. The scent is amazing (tequila lime).

Definitely a keeper.

DesertTime and brit like this.
  14. DesertTime

OK. I have a serious question. I'm not trying to be glib. When people talk about post-shave feel, what exactly do they mean? What exactly are they expecting from the soap/cream? PSF seems to be a rating that popped up over the past few years. When I finish shaving, I rinse my face thoroughly and apply a post shave product, either a lotion or balm.

ghostlife and brit like this.
  15. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member

To me, post shave is the feeling that something is left on your face afterwards. The best example of this is probably the British TOBS / GFT / Truefitt. They leave behind this moisture barrier / layer of slickness even after splashing with water. I've never found anything as extreme as those three.

brit and DesertTime like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

to me its how your face feels after a shave.some soaps dry out the skin when others have moisturizing properties to them.also depends on skin type..

DesertTime likes this.
  17. Str8on2

:signs011: +1

brit likes this.
  18. DesertTime

I do understand that part. Most people wash their face after shaving -- or at least rinse it -- and then immediately apply a post shave lotion or balm. Doesn't that just about negate the importance of a soap's PSF?

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

to some /most probably..i am indifferent..others think that skin care can be achieved during the shave and not just after..hence mens antiwrinkle cream and so on..old school soaps were just that.with exceptions i am sure .mwf comes to mind ,the wool fat was quite slick but after a shave it softened the skin as an after effect..after arko i will use a balm if needed.after an artisan soap all i need is an aftershave..depending on weather..new age ideas i guess..:)

DesertTime likes this.
  20. DesertTime

I completed my first shave with Tequila Lime last night. I, too, was very impressed. My experience with creams is limited and I only recently started using them in a serious way. Currently, I'm using Castle Forbes Lime and it would be hard to beat, IMO. The one area where CF is weak, in my view, is residual slickness. Teconic is clearly the winner there.

I touched the tips of a moist Plisson synthetic brush to the surface of the cream and started face lathering. I quickly had a rich, cushioning, slick lather --easily enough for three passes. Like CF, a little goes a very long way.

It'll take a few more shaves to determine exactly how good this cream is, especially compared to my current favorite. But my initial impression is it's quite good and better than my recollection of TOBS and others (aside from CF). One criticism, I did not car much for the jar. I would prefer a wider, shorter jar (nitpicking).

Definitely worth taking for a spin.

brit likes this.