Im trying to be good but should I buy these?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Stu929, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I believe both razors were listed at 18 a piece as was the stone/strop.

Let me know what you think. Both blades looked decent with some rust on the heel.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I don't know anything about straights. I'll be interested to hear others thoughts.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

$30 for both razors. Quality makers in decent condition. Strop & hone more of a novelty than necessity

Keithmax, Zykris, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I'm curious to hear from the expertise of others as well. I know nothing about straights.

5. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Thats what I was thinking as well. See if she would go to 30 or less for the 2.

I was looking at the strop more for the stone but I understand.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

The darker scaled razor is showing some spine wear from honing but it looks even. If neither razor shows deep pitting the surface patina ought to polish up well. Nice wild finds!

Keithmax, Zykris and Stu929 like this.
  7. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I'm a noob to straights so while I thought these were a decent deal I wasn't sure but I wanted to check as I don't see either brand all that often especially in good shape and including a box like both of these. I'll see what shes willing to do pricewise.

Keithmax, Zykris and RyX like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

The yellow scaled Morley is a much sought brand for it's quality. Can't quite make out the second because of the surface rust, but being marked "Sheffield" without also saying England suggests pre 1891.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Keithmax and Zykris like this.
  9. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Second one is frederick reynolds sheffield

Zykris and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Here's a link to save on you phone to use while shopping ;)

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have a few W.H.Morley & Sons, Clover Brand Razors. They are excellent.
    Offer what you want to pay, they are both very good razors, with minimal wear, and both should clean up nicely.
    I would pass on the hone. It's more of a novelty.

Keithmax, Stu929 and Zykris like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

For wild caught prices, that isn't bad, Around here those would go for more. Of course tightwads like @DaltonGang and I think $18 is too much to spend on a straight :eek:

RyX, DaltonGang and Stu929 like this.
  13. DaltonGang

You've got me pegged. I've found some $5 razors that will shave as well as some $400 custom razors. Ok, they might not be as pretty, but then again, I've some razors for under $20 that clean-up like New, and shave like a as well as anything out there.
    Case in point; I just posted about a $7 Chinese ZY Razor. This one rivals the shaves of about anything out there. It's so sharp that it will pass the HHT and pop the baby fine blonde hairs of my wife and daughter, with the slightest touch.

Spyder likes this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Case in point; this F. Reynolds cost well south of a ten spot.

IMG_1228.JPG

DaltonGang and RyX like this.
  15. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I dont think I'll get her that low but hopefully she will drop it some. I honestly like the blade profiles of some of the older razors better. Would these be wedges?

Spyder likes this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Both are hollow-ground.

Spyder, DaltonGang and Stu929 like this.
  17. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Spyder likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Wedges tend to wear differently than hollow ground razors and with little or no hone wear, wedges in profile will appear 'flat' with no concave shadows present.
    These two samples are true wedge grinds. No shadows along the spine or evidence of curvature (hollow).
    wedges.png

Spyder, DaltonGang, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  19. DaltonGang

I like Big Old Wedges. The are stiff, heavy, and shave much quieter than Hollow Ground Razors. Exemptions being Japanese Razors. Even a lot of their Hollow Grinds are so thick, they act like a wedge.

Spyder likes this.