In love with the Sensor/Excel

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Maestro, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

I took the Sensor for a test drive this morning and did a simple but effective WTG and XTG & a touch up shave. No irritation or burning or anything other than a great shave. I usually shave at night as the DE is giving me grief so trying to shave in the am was a bit of a risk, lucky for me it all worked out.
    Thanks for the thread Maestro I might just have to join the club " I :love029: Sensor! "

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    Boojum1 and Maestro like this.
  2. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

The Excel was my first. And I lost my virginity to that interesting plastic thing that came in the mail as a free sampler. Used it until the Mach3 came out, and then the Fusion, but never got the comfort I recall from that 1st razor I owned. Now That's something I could get around to trying again.

Boojum1 and Maestro like this.
  3. Maestro

Maestro Member

Glad you enjoyed the shave

Boojum1 likes this.
  4. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

I still have the Sensor and the Sensor Excel. Never moved past them in cartridge razors. However, I found the EJ DE 89 gave me a much closer shave. The Sensor shaving experience was drudgery while the DE experience is a pleasure. Hope you enjoy your Sensor shaves as much as I do my DE shaves.

178-bplatoon and Maestro like this.
  5. Uncle Brian

" Hope you enjoy your Sensor shaves as much as I do my DE shaves."

Thanks for the kind thought I must say that I'm surprised how good the Sensor is, even better than other cartridge razors mainly due to the small head I think. The huge head on the Fusion is a bit of a pain especially under the nose.

I have been shaving for 45 years and have never really got on well with DE razors or even the Schick injectors, those TV scenes of toilet paper stuck on the nicks were very real. My first cart was a Sensor and I have used various multi-blade Gillette's until 3 years ago when I decided to try DE again in the hope it would give me a better shave .... it didn't.

Shave two this morning was WTG then XTG and then a little touch up. No irritation or burning or anything other than smooth skin.

:happy108:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Boojum1, 178-bplatoon and Maestro like this.
  6. Uncle Brian

" We have a problem Houston"

Every time I use my Sensor it makes a clicking noise like something inside is catching on something. Any one else get the same thing and/or what to have a guess at a solution?

Thanks folks :D

7. Maestro

Maestro Member

Hi Uncle Brian.

I own three sensors and all do the same. I assume its the pivot mechanism that makes that clicking sound. Nothing to be too concerned about

Uncle Brian likes this.
  8. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Crap I ordered one on Ebay and only after I saw the carts are 10 for $30 at my local store!! Now I remember why I go into wet shaving in the first place.

9. Maestro

Maestro Member

Sorry to hear that metro ... no idea why the blades are relatively so cheap in South Africa as opposed to Europe and America

10. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

It's ok, I probably would've ordered anyways just to remember old times!

11. Uncle Brian

I had shave #7 from the Sensor this morning and afterwards I felt a little burn, maybe if I don't go ATG it might last a little longer but for a 3 pass shave I think this cartridge is done.

Anyone get more out of their Sensor cartridges?

Thinking I might try fewer passes with the new cartridge and see how many passes are really necessary.

I mentioned that my Sensor makes a clicking sound and I think it's the prong that pushes the cartridge off the handle making contact with the back of the cartridge, it might be curable with a pair of side cutters but I don't want to risk ruining a perfectly functional razor handle.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  12. Maestro

Maestro Member

I get approximately 14 × 3 pass shaves with my sensor excel blade. After each use I carefully dab down the blade with soft tissue or a absorbent cloth. I find that this enhances the longetivity of the blade. I just chuck out the blade after 14 shaves because I like a fresh blade it can certainly give me a few more shaves. Try this and see if it works for you.

Uncle Brian this clicking sound seems to be getting to you... lol I say just leave it as it is dont risk it I see Sensor Excel are getting increasingly pricey on Ebay

Happy shaving

13. Uncle Brian

Thanks for that little tip I will start using it this morning when I use a new cartridge. I did read somewhere that it's possible to strop the cartridges on denim to increase their life, it worked on my Fusion so I might have to give that a go too.
    The clicking is a issue I admit ... maybe I need some loud music in the bathroom every morning :git:.

Maestro likes this.
  14. Majid

Majid New Member

Used mach3, fusion. Have been using mach3 for many years now. In love with it. Best cartridge I ever experienced. I also used dorco, disposable gillete cartridge and now using DE razors also. Sensor excel was in on my list since long time. Now I think it's time to buy it.

15. Uncle Brian

Mach3 is a great razor and so is the Fusion. I'm getting used to the Sensor and love the small head and the different handle angle ... you need one Majid :)

Sold my last two DE razors last week just the Sensor Excel now and a Mach3 handle but no blades at the moment. Will get another Fusion the next time it's on special at the supermarket.

16. Maestro

Maestro Member

[​IMG]

Couldn't resist...

Leo K. and Uncle Brian like this.
  17. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Mine just got here in the mail but I already shaved today.. must wait for tomorrow morning but I'm looking forward to it.

Maestro likes this.
  18. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I used a Sensor Excel for many years. I figured out that the Good News disposable razors had the same design on the head, so I'd break them off and put them on my Sensor Excel handle. They were a lot cheaper too... but probably didn't get as many shaves per blade from the Good News head. Did anyone else do that?

19. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I must have used the Sensor for the longest part of my life 90 to 98, then I upgraded to the Mach 3. In 2003/4 I started trying other razors after picking up a Wilkinson Sword Profile in an British Airways toiletry bag, I tried the Quattro, Dorco's, KOS. I did buy a Fusion, but the cost drove me into using a Dorco Pace 6, then later a Hydro 3. I am now back on Mach 3 disposables (I travel extensively) and a Wilkinson Sword Profile. Since 2004 I have used Krona DE, injectors and shavette's at weekends. I have bought a variety of Sensors, so will give them a try. Sensor 3 disposable first...

Leo K. likes this.
  20. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

The Sensor was my daily driver from 1990 to 2003. I still love the Sensor and have collected originals from Ebay for old times sake.