In love with the Sensor/Excel

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Maestro, Oct 10, 2014.

1. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Looks like this thread is somewhat old but I'd like to chime in. I find the Sensor Excel to be the best of Gillette's recent offerings (20+ years for the Sensor I think). The shave is excellent and the blades are somewhat reasonable when compared to the Fusion. However, I haven't used one in a long time as I can shave just as quickly with my DE or Schick Injector

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Grick

Grick Active Member

The Excel was my first razor that I used from the early 90s until 2003ish. Then I switched to all the latest Gillette models and today I mostly shave with a safety razor. But the other day I got curious and a bit nostalgic and bought a pack of Excel blades. And I was stunned: A fast, fuss-free, perfect shave! I don't recall the Excel being so sharp and good! But I guess my prep is much better now than back then and thus I get a perfect shave more easily. But I can say that my fusion shaves are no better than the Excel shave.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. jonmich

jonmich Member

I agree with Maestro.
    I only swapped to back to DE/SE shaving when the Sensor carts became unavailable in the brick built stores.
    I use a Feather AS-D2, various Ikons, Muhle R89, Gillette Black Beauty and Slim adjustable, various injectors ( Schick I1 and I2, PAL adjustable, Schick adjustable, PAL injectomatic ), Trac II, Atra (Contour) and a few others.
    But the Sensor is a magnificent razor which I used long before the aforementioned.

I now use the Sensor with Personna Tri-Flexxx carts in my rotation.

See also Leo K's "My Gillette Sensor Collection" http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/my-gillette-sensor-collection.34581/

Douglas Carey and Leo K. like this.
  4. jon radin

jon radin Member

Like the Maestro I seem to be coming full circle, left cart shaving, have over 30 DE's, 7-8 different brands of blades. But recently have tried again and finding the best shaves judged by closeness and comfort I get is coming from the Sensor Excel. Don't think I will ever give up DE shaving. But the Sensor Excel shave, now that I have learned how to shave thru the DE experience is amazingly good. Anyone else having a similar experience?

Leo K. and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I used the Sensor Excel for some time....then they jumped the price up, glad tbh or I would not be here or tried straights, when I started shaving it was a DE and a stick soap...dono what one coz my father bought them, but my start in the shaving world was DE....for many years...so when I returned to it I found it a bit like riding a bike, it all came back very quickly. Now I would not go back to carts, the Sensor was good but DE and SR are better imo.

Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  6. ROJ

ROJ New Member

I realize this is a very old thread, but I wanted to share my experience.

I too have shaved with Gillette Sensor Excel since they came out, with very good results. A simple 3 pass shave would result in a bbs. I frankly thought that was the norm, and that everyone go the same shave without irritation.

My prep was simply shaving in the shower, using Dove bar soap as my lather (it works tremendously well, better than all the fancy shaving creams, oils, and shaving soaps with brushes I’ve tried - just rub the bar on the face).

Several months ago, I started shaving my head. When I did so, I used the Sensor Excel. It worked great with no cuts or irritation. I had been very apprehensive, but it was a none issue.

That gave me the urge to upgrade for some strange reason. I read forums, articles, about razors and prep.
    Tried several DE razors and different blades. Tried several injectors and blades. Tried electric. Tried at sink with fancy prep. Tried in the shower with fancy prep.

No matter which prep or razor, I had nicks and razor burn. I also could not duplicate the closeness and bbs of the Sensor Excel, even though I was getting razor burn and nicks.

So, bottom line for me - I believe the Gillette Sensor Excel is the epitome and peak of razor development. It gives me the best shave ever, with no irritation or ingrown hairs. Two blades is the ideal number. I even get more shaves with the Sensor than I could with the Injector. The injector is my second favorite.

I also love my “vintage” :) Sensor handle. It looks good, is nicely weighted, and has excellent grip.

The shaves are easy, I never cut myself, and they are better than any other razor for me. I can also order new cartridges at close to the cost of injectors. What’s not to love? Too bad Gillette went crazy with blade numbers...

My $0.02.

PS: Love the forum.

Sabre, Leo K. and Edison Carter like this.
  7. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

For me at least, the Sensor Excel was the NDC Ball End Tech of the cartridge world.

ROJ likes this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I still have my dad's Gillette Trac II (called GII here) as a travel razor. With decent cartridges, I always got a good shave from that.
    Sometime like ten years ago, I actually bought a whole stash of NOS GII cartridges. The original ones, without the dreaded slime strip.
    They are excellent, and with the little amount of traveling I do nowadays (also because of a job change), they probably will last me a lifetime.

ROJ likes this.
  9. ROJ

ROJ New Member

How do the Personna Tri-flex carts for the Sensor compare to original Sensor or Sensor Excels?