In praise of the open comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by The situational shaver, Jun 17, 2020.

1. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

Hello, hello, hello, The S.S. here. For over 20 yrs. I shaved with a Merkur 33c C.C. Razor.
    About 2 months ago, I purchased a RazoRock ‘old style’ open comb head. Since then, I have consistently
    gotten, without doubt, the closest, smoothest, most comfortable multi pass, B.B.S. shaves I’ve ever gotten.
    Now, my skin is slightly oily, my beard is pretty thick,but, my hair is soft, and I live in a humid region.
    So, of course that plays a roll, but if anyone reads this that is considering an O.C. don’t hesitate, get one.
    Even though it seems like it would be more ‘aggressive’, it actually is more smooth.
    Since there is more blade exposure, you don’t have to press down on it. You can just ‘drag’ it over your face.
    I, personally, use it with a Treet carbon steel blade. I just recently ordered a RazoRock S.L.O.C.
    It is advertised as an even more ‘upgraded’ open comb shave,.....we’ll see.

Zykris, Enrico and lightcs1776 like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Interesting thoughts. I would like to know how an open comb, which, like a normal safety bar, sits below the blade, can offer more blade exposure? Now, I do completely understand that different razors are manufactured with different blade gaps, but if we took the exact same razor and one had an OC and one had a solid SB, how is there a different blade exposure?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  3. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you're assuming that the OC base-plate and the CC base-plate are the same width. If the OC plate is narrower than the CC plate, then the angle coming off the cap would be steeper and the exposure would be greater. Just an idle thought.

Primotenore likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I love OC razors both DE and SE.

Droo78 likes this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes, he said exactly the same.

The OC would perform as if it had greater exposure if the comb functions to allow the skin/whiskers to be pulled closer to the blade edge. So it may be a matter of that interface rather than measured exposure.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

dvdhviid and Primotenore like this.
  6. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Possibly.

But, for example, I started with a Merkur 23C (CC). There is a n OC equivalent, the 25C. I purchased aftermarket the Merkur OC base-plate to make it a 25C, so I could switch back and forth. That's the only way I know to turn a CC razor into an OC one. Everything other than than base-plate is identical. Both base-plates were designed to mate with the same cap and handle.

Side note: Both seem comparably mild to me. YKMV.

7. Primotenore

Article Team
    I am assuming NO difference except an open vs closed comb. I cannot see that "gaps" cut into the closed comb would change anything.

gorgo2 and jtspartan like this.
  8. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

(Shrugs) Then I got nuthin'

Primotenore likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I agree with the Merkur OC being extremely mild. I never reach for mine.

10. brit

brit in a box

here are 2 english gillettes.the new rfb (raised flat bottom) and the new tech /hybrid.the new tech hybrid is the safety bar version of the rfb.both are very efficient though mild but do shave the same.. britpatnumbers_edited.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    jtspartan likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    :)
    Not meaning to cause trouble.

brit likes this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I too appreciate an open comb and have had open combs feel smoother than closed combs. I’ve never cared why that is.

Droo78 and brit like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You underestimate the power of wishful thinking.

brit and Primotenore like this.
  14. Primotenore

Article Team
    I guess I am just a pragmatist. Notches in a safety bar don't = more blade exposure.

brit and jmudrick like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah. Everything else being equal, an open comb will shave exactly like a bar guard razor.

I prefer open combs in general. I've thought about taking apart a Gillette fatboy, brazing up the slot guard and cutting teeth into it. Just for fun.

...and because a douche on B&B said it couldn't be done.

16. brit

brit in a box

would love to see one..open comb adjustable..:)

PLANofMAN and Droo78 like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

La la la....[​IMG]

Primotenore, brit, jtspartan and 2 others like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That thing looks like the unwanted love child of a Pils and a Parker. What is it?

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Homelike Shaving Taiga
    [​IMG]

PLANofMAN, dvdhviid and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

very cool,who makes that..:)..ok never mind..

jmudrick likes this.