In Remembrance: Memorial Day

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Shep, May 29, 2011.

1. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I haven't seen anything posted yet though the official holiday isn't until tomorrow. Generally seen as the kick off weekend for summertime with a day at the lake, family vacations, BBQ's and picnics. I see nothing wrong with these celebrations of life on Memorial Day and view them as a positive way of honoring those who sacrificed their lives in service to us all. During our fun in the sun let us not forget them however. I once heard a WWII veteran eloquently state, "they gave up all their tomorrows for my today." Chokes me up everytime I think about it.

So thank you to all who served, are serving and those that gave their lives in service to comrades and country. Happy Memorial Day.

USN
    1986-1991

memorialday.jpg

2. Tforc

Tforc Member

In honor and loving memory of my Brother who fell in Vietnam
    Army helicopter door gunner. In mission flying over jungle on a pick up. I pray we all remember our freedom is not free but paid with blood by our brothers in arms.
    Bryan
    USAF 87-91

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

To the fallen! :eatdrink047

I wish we didn't need them but I'm sure glad we have them.

USMC
    1994-1998

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I know it isn't a holiday for me in Canada but it is still a day to remember in my books. Everyday is important to remember the sacrifices of so many. On any holidays or days of remembrance like Memorial day and Remembrance day I always think of my Grandfather who passed away two Christmases ago. I always remember him and get emotional when I do.

:thanks

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've been blessed that the many service members in my family haven't fallen in the line of duty. But I pray I never let that blessing stop me from remembering those who did fall for us.

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Indeed!

7. NoahG

NoahG Member

To all our fallen brothers and sitsters of the armed forces, you will always be in my heart on this day and every other.

US Army 1995-2001

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Remembering 2 uncles that served in the Navy during WWII and my step-dad who served in the Army during Vietnam. Still alive are 2 other uncles who also served in the Navy during WWII, 1 of them also having served during the Korean war. My dad did a brief stint in the Navy as well but, as the story has been relayed through the family, didn't like it and grandmother found some way to get him out. So we're all mostly Navy folks. Currently have a cousin and brother-in-law serving in the Army in Afghanistan.

And of course remembering and thanking all others that have served and are serving. I don't agree with the latest "wars" (Iraq - both of them, Afghanistan, Libya) but I can't fault our troops for doing what they are told, their job. Hoping they all come home soon and peace finds a foothold around the world. :)

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I will certainly be remembering all of our vets today. My father served during Vietnam and my Grandfather during WWII. It is sad that to so many others, today has just become about vacations and BBQ.

10. Brian

Brian Active Member

Thanks to all who are serving, and to all that have served.

USN
    1992-1994

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

To those that have served in the past, a heartfelt "Thank You" for your service to this country!

To the fine men and women who are serving in the armed forces today, "Thank You" also, stay safe and godspeed!

To those that have given the ultimate sacrifice, words can never express the gratitude that myself, my family, and our nation as a whole owe you.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

To those died so that we may live in peace, I salute you.
    To those who lost loved ones, may our Lord bless you with His peace.

USAF
    1980-2000

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :sihns011
    I couldn't express it any better.

Thank you!

14. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Remembrance Day at the Roger's house (my family):

My Daddy - Edward - US Army - Infantry WWII Pacific (Japan, Philippines, and Marshall Islands)
    Uncle Bud - US Navy - WWII Pearl Island
    Uncle Tom - US Army - WWII - various posts
    Uncle Walt - US Army - Infantry Vietnam
    Uncle Loy - US Army - Vietnam
    Uncle Alvin - US Army - Korea and Vietnam
    My Brother James - US Army - 4 years of service
    My Brother Richard - USAF - 4 years of service
    My Husband - Jeffrey USN - 8 years of service (active and reserves) Operation Desert Storm

To all of those close to me and in my memories now, God Bless you and your service. :happy096

15. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

:sihns011 What everybody above me said! I have known many that have served and are serving. I was not able to do so because of a birth defect so Thank you all for serving in my place.