Incredible cost to ship a package overseas. WOW!!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jpb437, Mar 13, 2014.

1. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

So, I did a world wide PIF thinking I wouldn't mind paying to ship something overseas should someone win it. I took the small package to the post office and was quoted $178 to ship it. I was however told if I pick up a small flat rate box it is around $30 to ship it. Unfortunately both post offices in town have no small flat rate boxes. Has anyone found an inexpensive way to ship things overseas? Please help me out!

2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Thats insane and not true. I never go to the post office just print my labels through paypal. I had someone buy something from me at about 10oz. Usa to Australia. $15 postage.

Also to Spain I sent a package $15

Note that above 1st class price go up dramatically (14oz or more). But i would not expect something like that...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  3. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I was told I could check on USPS.com to calculate prices before I go wait in line again. So I checked it out and the cheapest I have found is a small international flat rate envelope for $24. I figure for $6 more I can get the small box and it should keep the contents safer.

4. fram773

You could also put a box inside the envelope...

5. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I didn't think of that. It is a 10"x6" envelope that may be the way to go.

6. fram773

Also if shipping to Europe, it may or may not be cheaper to just buy the item from a European vendor such as Connaught and have them ship it. You have to think outside the box man.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Where are you shipping the
    this is what I'd do.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I 've shipped overseas economically. You want FIRST CLASS INTERNATIONAL , it can't weigh more than 4 pounds and get the acceptable dimensions for your box.

You were quoted prices from a menu appearing on the computer, they were quoting you express mail or priority mail. Our post office is under considerable political attack and faces demise so they are wanting to make money too, so they will upsell you to priority or express.

But First Class International is the way to go, its always cheapest. I sent a friend 8 razors, some in boxes for $30 overseas just recently.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

$178? Insane rates.

11. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

A timely thread. I recently PIF'd a tube of Proraso Green to Slow-Joe in Denmark. Initial USPS shipping indicated ~$20.00 but surely this is incorrect. Joe and I exchanged a PM. I am going to check further today to see if I get a handle on actual shipping costs.

Makes me wonder how Leon at Vintage Scent is able to ship a brush to the U.S. for $3.45.

12. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

This all started when omelmad won a PIF of a couple blades. As soon as I realized he lived in Sweden I decided to beef it up and make it a decent shaving package. I have now decided to go to a different post office in another town tomorrow and talk to them to see what the actual price is to ship a package or pick up a flat rate box. I think I may also have to do a PIF that is for only non-CONUS members. I feel like they don't get as many opportunities due to shipping cost.

Slow Joe likes this.
  13. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

+1

Go here:
    http://postcalc.usps.gov/default.aspx
    and choose "package" (plain looking - black and white image) at the bottom of the page and enter the weight.
    Stay away from the fancy boxes and mailers offered near the top.
    Pay close attention as you progress through the next few pages, they try to de-rail and upsell you again.
    I calculated a 2.0 pound package to Germany with a declared value of $80.00 and the cost was less than $24.00

Don't EVEN think about UPS or FedEx......:eek:

Unless you sell your Lear Jet first!

jpb437 likes this.
  14. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Thanks for posting this. This is the only way I found a decent price. So I actually found this out on Saturday and I calculated a 2 pound package to Sweden at around $25. If they have international priority flat rate boxes at the post office I can ship a 4 pound small package (in the small priority box) for $24. Unfortunately the post office here has been out of small flat rate boxes for about a week. I think mailing first class is the cheapest if you are mailing a package that weighs less than one pound but if you are mailing a 2 pound package then it cost about the same to mail a small priority flat rate box up to 4 pounds.