Incredibly sensitive neck

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Galactus, May 5, 2012.

1. Galactus

Galactus Member

I have been shaving now for around 5 years. In the early days it was pretty easy when the hair was nice and soft. More recently as the hair has become slightly more thick, I've been more conscious of trying to get a nice smooth neat shave.

However, I have been cursed with the most sensitive neck ever. Even if I prepare my skin perfectly and go nice and slow with the grain, I break out with a hideous rash. I have tried a safety razor and a shavette and various different creams. I did have an ingrown hair but it has since been removed yet this continues to happen. I aspire to have my neck, after shaving, looking like it did before I'd ever even grown hair there before. Some people manage it!

I should mention I'm quite thin too, which only makes shaving my neck that much more difficult.

2. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Welcome Galactus ! I have a very similar problem to yours. I try to shave one time in every 2-3 days. It seems to be a little better with DE shaving, I change blades very often. Did you check it with a doctor, dermatologist ?

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Galactus,

Would you step up through what you do to prepare to shave. That way we can begin to better understand what you are doing and try to provide some inside.

Oh and since you are new to this forum I would like to give you a hearty:

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

4. Galactus

Galactus Member

Usually I shave following a shower or bath, and make sure to have my neck at least submerged in warm water for at least 3 minutes. I then pat the skin dry and rub a layer of shaving cream onto my face and neck (I use a can, soap and brush is a little too expensive this moment in time) and then wait a couple minutes for my skin to soak it (I don't know if this works, but I've heard it a few times). I have been considering a DE razor for some time.

There are periods when I will wait a couple days hoping it'll heal, but then I'm back to square one once I shave. I tried electric razors and trimmers, and I had the problem of it either catching the hairs on my neck or scratching the skin.

Thanks so far! And thanks for the welcome!

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Hi and welcome.. IMO soap and brush will probably give you much better results than the can stuff and doesn't necessarily have to cost much. I would hold off the DE for now and work on your lather. Even a really cheap boar brush and some Williams Mug, which are usually available at your local pharmacy, might make a world of difference. I actually used some hand soap and a two dollar boar paint brush for quite a while. If you add a few drops of Olive oil to the mix, you can get Dove hand soap to lather up pretty nicely..:)

macaronus and burnout961 like this.
  6. Galactus

Galactus Member

Thanks! I'll definitely give it a go! It may be difficult though since where I live, things tend to be much more expensive than anywhere else in Britain :( Any other tips? One problem I have with the neck is the many different directions the hair seems to grow. And the bits round the side of my Adams apple, as well as the tip of the Adams apple as well.

7. Slipperyjoe

Ya.. it seems like you have a tricky grow there. So make good and sure that the lather really is worked in well and totally covers the cutting surface..particularly where things are most sensitive. And you should also let the lather soften up the beard for a couple of minutes before going at it..

8. Galactus

Galactus Member

A lot of friends have suggested trimming with electric razors first. But all that does is make the area all scratched for me. Does anyone else have this problem. And of course my neck is also covered in ridges and bumps (not razor burn, just how my skin is)

9. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart has started carrying the Van Der Hagen starter set for a little less than $9. It has a puck of soap (which they sell by itself for $1.59), a boar brush(it lathers ok for me,but I prefer my Escali badger) and a bowl to lather in.

10. Galactus

Galactus Member

Hmm, does Wal-Mart have a website? I live in Britain so we don't have that over here :(

11. Slipperyjoe

I'm a minimalist lol so I'm pretty good at getting things to work out with very little. If you can get your hands on some kind of brush.. though not ideal, even a boar hair basting brush can work.. and some nice fatty hand soap like dove and adding the Olive in some kind of bowl, you can try out and see for yourself, if a proper lather will make a difference...

12. Galactus

Galactus Member

Thanks so much for the help! One more question, I am quite a strict vegetarian.... Is there any ethical issues concerning the use of boar hair brushes?

13. Slipperyjoe

Well I guess that would be up to you. As far as I know only some horse hair brushes like the Vie Long are definitely made from clippings..the other types of animal hair brushes like boar and badger come from food production. I believe the Frank Shaving synthetic brush may be alright and can be bought on line and is not too pricey. You might even try hand lathering to see what happens. IMO all these options will probably give you better results than canned shaving cream...

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

15. Slipperyjoe

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I think it is as well.
    Aaron will more than likely know whether Omega is supplying Men-U with boar knots.

17. Galactus

Galactus Member

Thanks guys! I have chosen to go with the Vie-long horse hair brush, the description claims "No horses are killed or harmed in any way during the collection of hair." and I'm happy with that. Any specific soaps recommended? Any that may sooth the skin or soften it better than others?

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You are getting some good advice here. As for soaps, you really have to try for yourself, because that is an individual thing. My husband & I like to use a shaving soap that has shea butter in it. Also, some people with sensitive skin, find a pre-shave oil helpful. This need not be expensive. You can use olive oil or grapeseed oil, from the supermarket. Just rub a very small amount onto your skin, and let it sit for a minute or 2. Then, shave as usual.

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Boots has a nice lather shave cream. Also, I believe Ingrams, Palmolive, and Erasmic are generally available locally throughout the UK.

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Also, Boots and Ingrams I know have brushless versions. You don't want the brushless.

GDCarrington likes this.