Inexpensive honing set ($55)... Not lapping film

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 1976MGB, Jan 27, 2017.

1. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

So I wanted to hone my own Razors, but didn't want to spend a fortune on stones. I did a bunch of research, looked into lapping films, Norton 4k/8k etc... I have a couple razors that need to be honed, bit didn't want to send 3 or 4 out at the cost of $60. I've bought a couple vintage shave ready razors, because it's only a couple bucks more than a honing.

What I purchased was a King 1k/5k ( Amazon $26 ) and a Chinese natutal ( woodcraft $25.75 )

I grabbed a razor, BTW I'm new to sharpening Razors, and gave it a whirl. I followed a lot of Lynn Abrams and a few others techniques along the way. Set the bevel, and proceeded through the progression. Finished with 10 laps chromium oxide on linen, and 70 laps leather

Final Result: Passed HHT, AND gave a great shave. I'm no expert, and it was fun.. However, I will still get a couple razors professionally honed as this is just something I was doing for the fun of it.

Anyone looking to get started, under $55 and good results

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Waate, Drygulch, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Nice to know, how much time did your spend on the C12k after moving up from the 5k ?

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  3. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

I did a pyramid method from one of Lynn's posts, only I used the 5k/12k... Then finished with 15 X strokes on the 12k.... This was the pyramid ( substituted 5k/12k where he used 4k/8k)

...25 Strokes on 5K 25 Strokes on 12K 20 Strokes on 5K 20 Strokes on 12K 15 Strokes on 5K 15 Strokes on 12K 10 Strokes on 5K 10 strokes on 12K 5 Strokes on 5K 5 Strokes on 12K 3 Strokes on 5K 3 Strokes on 12K 1 Stroke on 5K 3 Strokes on 12K 1 Stroke on 5K 5 Strokes on 12K...

Karl G, Linuxguile and Billyfergie like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ok, you listed a King 1k/5k, a 5k/12k, a 4k, , and an 8k. What were the makers of these stones, and what was the cost?

Billyfergie, Karl G and Linuxguile like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

6. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

King 1k/5k $26 on Amazon
    Chinese Natural 12k from Woodcraft $25.75

The 4k/8k was from a pyramid sharpening technique posted by Lynn Abrams... I substituted 5k/12 where he had 4k/8k. I just quoted his post as opposed to changing it... Sorry for the confusion. I edited the #s

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have one of those Cnat stones from woodcraft and they're not bad. They have 2 sizes, but I don't recall the dimensions. I used that stone as my finisher and always got decent results.

Karl G, Robyflexx, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Lynn and I both did an entire series some years back what we called the "One Stone Method"

I specifically targeted the King 1k because of it's cost as the bevel setter, I always liked that hone, it has a really smooth cutting action and leaves shallow striations..

I did one of the Vids on using just the King 1k and finishing on the PHIG,

It is more then possible with just a little practice, Lynn did one using a Barber's Hone after the 1k bevel set pretty cool if you can find it.

I would think that a King 1/6 and a good finisher would be a very viable method :)

Billyfergie, Jim99 and DaltonGang like this.
  9. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

Do you have a link to any of the videos? Thanks!!

I still have a couple professionally sharpened Razors, but it's fun to play around. I've been able to achieve DFS with a couple razors this way..

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  10. Waate

Waate Member

As far as the "one stone" method goes, Dilucot method that is used for coticules is a good parallel and one I have used with great success on a variety of stones including the C12K. If you google dilucot method you will also find a wealth of informational and fun to watch videos.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  11. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

Lynn does have some good info for beginners and is easy to follow, however there are many honing techniques and you need to find what works best for you, your stones and razors.