Inexpensive Straights, Hones, Strops, etc. for Beginners.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jul 18, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I started this to help those not familiar with what straights are good for beginners. It's a little scary to see what some of you guys pay for some of your blades, and I have no doubt that they are worth every penny.
    But, one of the things that beginners need, is a decent shaving razor, at a low cost, in case they are tired of trying to get the hang of it, or tired of getting cut up. I hope I'm not one of the "Edward Scissor Hands" beginners.
    So, all of you straight gurus, please donate your knowledge to the beginners around here.

A list of straights that can be honed to a good edge, that aren't expensive.
    A list of inexpensive quality hones, and the types of hones needed. Man made, or natural.
    Some low cost strops, and what is needed with these, be it oils, creams, or pastes.

BeShaved, Kizurra, Karl G and 10 others like this.
  2. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I would love to hear suggestions as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie and Tdmsu like this.
  3. DaltonGang

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a modified Gold Dollar and it shaves great. Gold Dollars require some modification of the shoulder and stabilizer.

For a good starter for cheap I recommend a Whipped Dog sight unseen. Many of us got our start this way. I love modern straights but to practice honing their are cheap vintage straights that are available and don't require modification.

I learned to shave first then I moved on to honing. I'm not handy with tools so I passed on GD straights but if you don't mind getting your hands dirty they are great for customizers.

luv2shave, Hogie, BeShaved and 5 others like this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I would second whipped dog sight unseen razors, nuthin but good has been said about Larry.
    I think our own gssixgun calls beginer razors bench razors, not much to look at but sharp and usable.

I would not recomend hones to begining straight razor shavers. Its like learning to fly and be an aircraft mechanic at the same time.

The only two strops i have are gemstar customs benchstrop, and a custom made Drygulch leatherworks. I highly recomend both, in that order.

My last bit of advice, usually vintage razors can be had reasonably with a bit of research. Several names reoccur, those are normally the good ones.
    Pictues are the best way of checking condition.
    They try to sell some rubish, that was a good razor, avoid the trash. Sometimes no amount of restoration can fix a sawblade lookin straight razor blade.
    Oh and i bought a gold dollar from a forum member who got it, sent it to a honemiester, got it back, and gound he didn't like sr shaving. Mine was heavily modified just yo make it usable. Still feels cheap cmpared to my otber razors, I wouldn't recommend them.

BeShaved, ARGH, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Another vote for Whipped Dog. I also wouldn't hesitate doing business with gssixgun, as he had been great the times I have sent him razors to restore or hone for me.

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

+1 more for Larry at Whipped Dog. He sells Sight Unseen meaning after you have a discussion with him, he'll pick out a straight of the type you prefer, hone it, and mail it. There's no photos involved, not much choice of brand name, but it'll be truly shave ready. No it won't be restored to mirror finish, but the scales will be serviceable.
    For a new straight shaver a good starting razor would be 5/8 round point. A 4/8 or less is too narrow, & 6/8 or taller can be difficult to see around. The round point is a safety feature - no spiky point to jab into your delicate newbie flesh. I purchased a WD Poor Man's strop that came with a packet of oil to refresh. I also got the balsa board impregnated with red & green grit for at home touch up honing.
    The key thing those above and I are pointing out is "Shave Ready" from a reputable individual will give a better chance at a favorable first impression. I might purchase a new straight, or one off the bay, but I wouldn't count on it being really ready yet. That's the kind of thing that could sour straight shaving to the newbie.

BeShaved, Zykris, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  8. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

Larry at whipped dog is a good start. Also, take a look at forum BSTs. Some great deals there by folks with a local history and reputation.

As for starter hones for honing a razor I would recommend the Norton combo set. Has a 220/1K stone and a 4k/8k stone. The lapping stone in the kit is crap, but the rest is a great entry point into honing as far as price point and having a large user base to draw experience from. If you are just touching up your razor, I recommend a Naniwa 12k. While there are barber hones for cheaper, it is a tried and true stone that can be incorporated into your full honing progression later down the line. Barber hones are hit and miss and can have age/quality issues.

PLANofMAN, BeShaved, Zykris and 5 others like this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I am new to SR shaving, so I don't fit into the guru category...so take my advice with a grain of salt. I agree with @david of central florida that it is probably not a good idea to learn to start shaveing with a SR and learn to hone at the same time. I would also suggest a beginner get at least a good razor, professionally honed. I started with a Dovo 6/8 Best Quality, professionally honed and my initiation to SR shaving was very positive. In this way you get to learn what a sharp blade feels like. As for a strop if you want to go inexpensive use a newspaper strop...or if you want to go one step up buy a board strop (3 inch leather). They are great to learn stropping technique because you have to keep the blade flat to make it work properly! When you get around to buying stones I use a very minimal kit: Naniwa 1, 3, 8 k stones. You don't really need a finishing stone because you can easily get a mirror finish on your edge with an 8k. Honing is not difficult...if I can learn, then anyone can. You can also pick up vintage SRs but you need to be very selective...some look pretty, but are difficult to sharpen because of excessive wear.

10. Keithmax

Lots of good advice and I will reiterate a round point of 5/8 or 6/8 is a good way to start.

BeShaved, RyX and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

There is some good advice here. I will add mine as well.

I suggest going with whipped dog or another reputable dealer. Always buy a straight razor from people who shave with straight razors. This probably sounds obvious...but it will make a big difference.
    I haven't heard anyone mention this, but Dovo is the nike of straight razors. They make fantastic shavettes (a SR with a replaceable blade) for cheap. If you are willing to go a bit higher, their straight razors are phenomenal... Even for the entry-level pieces. If you spend $60 and decide it's not for you, then you can very easily recoup most or all of your money back as well.

Gold dollars are cheap, but VERY hit or miss. Buyer beware.

Straight razors are an investment. You will simply have to accept the upfront costs. I recommend getting the best one you can afford.
    Here's a good read for you that will answer most or all of your questions.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/things-i-wish-i-knew-when-i-started-wet-shaving.51858/

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Ralf Aust

PLANofMAN, BeShaved, 45auto and 3 others like this.
  13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Why does this sound like the noise you make the morning after the Oktoberfest party?

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Amateurs... The Oktoberfest Model has two blades so you don't need to close one eye.

It costs a bit more.

SRNewb, 45auto, bdalemauger and 8 others like this.
  15. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

There are a lot of really great razors out there. If you are trying to get started on the inexpensive, there are a few ways to go about it. eBay is not a great way to start. There are just too many pitfalls. eBay is a complicated subject and could be a very long thread all on its own. Whipped Dog has a very large following. I would not say his blades are oh my god cheap, I do believe you most often get what you pay for with them. They do come shave ready. I have shaved with his razors. They are not beauty queens, but they are functional. Gold Dollar razors have a following. If you can find one that has been modified or a lucky one that is already shave ready from a trusted source, they may be ok. A new Gold Dollar is a trap for a new person. You have what i understand is about a 50/50 chance of getting a razor that can be honed without modifying the heel or the stabilizer or both, or correcting for a bad grind on the spine. So without knowing how to hone, trying to figure that out the geometry issues and learning to shave is just a recipe for disaster. There are a lot of guys out there with really nice vintage razors of lesser known makers from regions known for great cutlery for $60 to $100, that will come shave ready. When the time comes to learn to hone you are much further ahead with a razor of sound geometry that you learned to shave with that only cost $60 shave ready. $100 buys a very nice vintage razor. There are known quality razors shave ready for a little more than $100, but we are slowly inching away from the inexpensive start and into an area of discomfort for many. If you by a $60 vintage blade, you will likely be able to sell it not shave ready for $40-60. It is not a high risk.

16. Redrooster

Redrooster Member

Hi all I'm just a newbie on this great adventure I'd suggest reading everything you can on straight razor shaving,Im in the uk lots of people recommend Palmolive shave sticks these can be had for a quid if you look about ,I got my mug in a charity shop for a quid think it was a soup bowl originally .lots of people in Italy abroad just use virgin olive oil as a preshave oil just a tiny splash on your hands then rub it in.For a razor I'd look at the classified on here or other sites and buy something that comes guaranteed shave ready.Ive bought a couple of razors from the Taylor's 1000 site normally older Sheffield razors maybe not shave ready but can be had that way.lots of chemists have Wilkinson sword brushes for a fiver maybe not the best but good enough to get you started.Also really important is a decent strop.I recon you could get started with decent kit for about £80.

17. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

First of all... For starting this thread (which should get stickie'd) :happy096:

I've gone to Whipped Dog a few times and always been happy with the results. He does good work on the cheap. You can spend more with him and get nicer stuff too, but the bread and butter of his business as it appears from the outside is the entry level razor services he offers which are hard to beat. Classifieds here are also a good way to go. I think vintage has an advantage over new in the price category as long as you don't get hung up on a brand. There have been many many decent companies over the years that have produced decent quality razors that nobody has heard of, and therefore decent examples can be bought for a lower price than well known brands. As long as it is coming from a decent source, the price you would pay for a good shave-ready vintage razor would not buy you a good new razor at all. I personally haven't seen reliably good quality new razors for less than $150. They may exist, but I haven't seen them.

18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

A Shave Ready Gold Dollar just about Shaves as Well as any SR in My Humble Opinion..As Long as the Work has been Done by a Reputable Seller..They are a Very Hard Carbon Steel & have a Very Robust Edge that Will Perhaps Stand Up to a Beginner with Not the Ideal Stropping Technique's..:)

I learned on My Gold Dollar & its Never been Back on a Hone & I have Forgotten the Amount of Times I have Used it..:angelic007:

For Me Its the Equivalent of the AK 47 Assault Rifle of SRs..It Works Full of Mud..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  19. Keithmax

I have a modified GD that was done by a reputable seller..... and it shaves great.

20. DaltonGang

I've seen a few videos on hones, and have seen people use a hone designed to plane the hone they are using to sharpen with.
    Anyone want to tell me about these, at length, and their experiences with them?

Billyfergie likes this.