Injectors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ndorfinmachine, Mar 16, 2008.

1. ndorfinmachine

ndorfinmachine New Member

Are these type any easier to use than a DE? I was just looking on ebay and noticed a lot of schick injectors. Could someomene explain to me how injector shavers work? And would a longtime sensor user be wise to try one? I really wanna try some sort of old school shaving darn it. Just haven't got the courage up yet. Or the knowledge. Let me know if one would be a good choice to try out. I have a birthday coming up and may put in a request. Thanks in advance!

2. ndorfinmachine

ndorfinmachine New Member

So that's it.....you got nothing for me? lol

3. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

The Injectors is in a sence the forerunners of the multi-blades.. It has a "set" angle and are IMHO no more than so-so shavers.. They are also much harder to find a decent blade for..
    If you really wanna try traditional or old-school shaving I say go for a DE.. My tip would be a Merkur 34 aka Merkur HD.. But there is also vintage Gillettes from eBay.. I personally rank Merkur as better shavers than Gillettes.. But YMMW..

Get a DE razor, a proper brush, a good shaving soap and a blade sampler pack and your on your way to a greater shave!

4. paydepst

paydepst Member

If you have been using a cartridge razor for most of your shaving life you will find the injector the closest to it in behaviour and design. Injectors are an interesting hybrid of sorts. They have qualities that properly appertain to single edge, straight edge, and double edge razors all the while maintaining a functionally unique identity.

Most folk want the closeness of a straight edge razor but are averse to trying it due to the rather steep learning curve. Some people look at the SE razors and think that they don't care to shave with the same type of blade you cut boxes with. This is a mistake on their part but some do think like that. Now an SE will shave like a straight edge (or pretty close) and afford you that DE handle familiarity. However you MUST hold them at the proper angle which takes a bit of getting used to.

The injector also gives you a close to SER smoothness, affords you that DE handle familiarity, but the angle of approach is a little more intuitive however. In fact it's pretty close to that of the DE.

Unfortunately, quality injector blades like quality SE blades can be hard to source. This is especially true on the Continent where there apparently are no SE blades just like there is no ice in most restaurants.

You can order blades online though. The learning curve for the injectors isn't that steep although they are a little different and a little less forgiving becuse of the thickness of their blade. The key is not to use too much pressure. I would give one a go though as they are readily available as you've noted and the art deco styling and head design of the early Schicks is very appealling in addition to being very good shaving.

So pick one up and decide for yourself. You'll never know until you do. I just bought two more of the early styles last week-a blue and a black handle. Now if I can just run the other elusive colour to ground!

5. Will

Will Nevermind

Injectors are a fun little shaver.

Try a Bic Metal throw away razor. It shaves a bit like that only the Injector dose a much better job.

Also an Injector is pretty easy to use. Easy like a Mach 3 but gives you the shave of a DE.

6. Hi there,
    Well, injectors are something I know a bit about, having used many of em in the past. This will only be my opinion of course, but maybe something typed will help in some way. I've since moved on to a DE, but I remember how much I enjoyed using my schick.
    First, let me assure you that the sensor is an excellent step before the injector. You're already used to having to pay some attention while shaving, and the angle of the sensor handle is MUCH more similar to the injectors than the M3 handle is. There should be just a short learning curve before you master the SE razor.
    I'd recommend starting with a later model, such as 'J', 'L', or the 'M'(adjustable model). The longer handle will feel more familiar, and the later models tend to be somewhat less aggressive( and more forgiving to a newbie).
    I got the best shaves of my life with an injector.........truly BBS. It took learning the technique, and there definitely is that short but necessary time of figuring things out. Then it was finding the right razor&blade combo. After that.............nothing but amazing shaves.
    Mark made some good points about finding blades and tips on actually how to use the razor properly. I've mentioned earlier a few types that I found worked the best on my face, but keep in mind, that's just me. Hehe...............if it's gonna be a birthday present, I'd go for the 'M' type. The handle's very nice, and that adjustment knob DOES work like a DE. You can fine tune your shave, unlike any other schick injectors. That can be a handy thing.
    The problem is they can be pricey on ebay because they're a desirable model. You might post a WTB here..........never know what these member have. Otherwise, the other two models I mentioned will also provide an excellent shave. Hehe, try as I might, even with my fatboy/feather combo, those injector shaves have a slight 'edge' over my DE.
    Martin

Oh.........the other nice thing about an injector is that the transition to a DE will be a LOT easier, if that's what you decide on later.

7. Injectors are easier to use. You don't have to be quite as careful. Many wet shavers would be using them more if the blade supply issue was as abundant as DE.

8. Exeter

Exeter New Member

I just "inherited" this little beauty:

[​IMG]
    (almost exact same thing, gold case and all, just no inscription anywhere on the bakelite handle)

My grandfather put a new blade in it before he sent it to me, and I was actually in the middle of shave when it was given to me, but I went ahead and tested it out on a few patches I was working on and I'll be damned if I didn't get them better than I could with my Merkur 34c. Truly wondrous little thing, and the lightness of it is preferable to me over the weight of the Merkur. I'll have to try a full shave with it next time. Gorgeous!

One small thing: I was told that newer injector razors don't fit it as well for some reason? Could this be because the blades themselves have changed or because of warping/bending in the head of the razor itself? I haven't tried to change it yet (just got it), but maybe one of you knows something?

9. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

That is a very nice looking Injector!

10. MaxP

MaxP Member

I have a vintage Schick injector that came to me from my father. I used to use it regularly. Now I'm a regular DE user. However, the last two mornings I've used the injector. I have Ted Pella blades.

IMHO it shaves BBS easier than most DEs I've used. It is a CLOSE shave and I tend to be a careful as if I had a new Feather blade in a NEW.

My advice. If you want to try it, then do it.

11. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

There can be a lot of variation in shave between different injector razors, especially the earlier models. With the right one and the right blade, you can get first rate shaves. It's also easier to learn than a DE, since the angle is more foolproof.

My own recommendation is to use the 1960's-1970's model, the "L". The later "N" is supposed to be a little milder. The even later "O" has a futuristic look, but is pretty rare.

The two 1950's models with similar heads (one has a long handle and the other has a short handle) have a weaker connection between the head and handle, and so the head is easier to break off. If you're careful, you can probably avoid this sad fate, and these models work fine and are less expensive.

Old stock made-in-USA Schick stainless blades are probably the best, with the very best being the blades marked "Plus Platinum". I don't have a problem with Personna blades (CVS store brand and - I think - "Barber" brand are made by the same company), but some people have trouble with their part-plastic pack when changing blades.

Some people have reported success with Feather injector blades, which are the right height, but too wide, and so they need to be shortened. There are several Feather blades, so you need to make your you're getting ones with the right height. You also need to be careful cutting these blades.

12. Exeter

Exeter New Member

Yeah either I can't quite get the technique with it down right, or there's warping in the razor head itself...because it feels like certain parts stick out more than others and it scratches the hell out of my face. Sometimes it works just fine, but because its so light it doesn't just glide across the beard very well on its own. Maybe I've just got to be a little more experienced with it, but I can't help but think its just plain not a good shaver. Shame because the first few times I used it, it got some tough spots very easily. But now I can't tell if its just the razor or me. I shouldn't be getting WORSE with it, ha ha.

13. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have been impressed with mine, of course ymmv.