inlay transfer method

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by taskind, Oct 23, 2017.

1. taskind

taskind Well-Known Member

I have to chance the scales of Bartman 501 , There is inlay on one side of the scales, I lifted them off the scale as Glenn showed in his video. But I could not see any information on how to stick it on the scale, what kind of glue should I use, and how to get rid of the residue of glue, thanks

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Heljestrand23 likes this.
  3. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I’m eagerly awaiting the answer to this question! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Most of the scales with inlays were plastic of some form and dissolve in acetone. If you polished the inlay before removing it you need only get the last little bit off the back. Softening it with acetone and scraping it with a razor blade is an option and the last little bit to prep is to get it ready to stick on, use high grit sand paper, but not too high, 400 to 600 works, some light scratches on the back helps with adhesion. You can use CA or epoxy. They both have their up sides. CA is super fast bonding, but has almost no work time, unless you go with the heavier bodied glues, but they tend to be a little gloppy and harder to control. Which is also the down side to many epoxies. I have a very light bodied (for an epoxy) epoxy that is called water clear, and it is a jewellers epoxy for Gem setting. Making a handle for the inlay makes it easier to deal with, without getting glues and you fingers all over it. Simply use CA and the tip of a toothpick and stick it to the inlay. After the glue is set it cuts off easily with a razor blade.

Spyder, taskind and DaltonGang like this.
  5. taskind

thank you sir..

Spyder likes this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
  7. taskind

Spyder and gssixgun like this.