Institut Karité Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Leisureguy, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I just got a puck of this: 25% shea butter and a very nice fragrance. I'll give it a go tomorrow with my new Harvard 1. And this weekend I'll stop by the Carmel Drugstore to get one of their wooden shaving-soap bowls. (The puck comes in a cardboard box.) Can't wait...

2. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Source? :drool

Jordan

3. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I got it here (scroll down---it's last on the list, bottom of the page).

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Looking forward to your review, Michael~

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I found it here for cheaper.

6. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Hi, everyone!

I'll be eager to hear your review as well, Michael, especially given the good deal JoAnna found is a closeout...

7. Queen of Blades

Welcome to The Shave Den, Mr. Igg!

8. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Great, another soap for me to try ::

9. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Here's the story: I used my new Simpsons Harvard 1 Best Badger brush, and immediately got a fine lather. The brush is small, but still holds enough lather for 3 passes. It generally goes without saying, but to make it explicit, I (as always) called on MR GLO for the initial beard wash.

The razor was the Weishi polished chrome and satin gold, which I loaded with a new Astra Superior Platinum blade.

It’s a good shave. The Weishi is a very nice razor, sturdy and well-made. It is a mild razor, very similar (for me) to the 40’s Gillette Super Speed, which makes it a good razor for a newbie. I like a slightly more aggressive razor, but for all that, I did get a good shave.

The brush really didn't hold as much lather as I like, but it may be a "first-use" thing---after I break it in, it may hold more.

The soap was extremely nice: good lather, quickly made, nice fragrance, felt good. I want to use it again soon, perhaps with one of the H1's bigger brothers.

I want to try the Institut Karite shea butter shaving cream, but hate to pay the $7 shipping (for one item). When I ordered the soap from R&B, I was ordering quite a few other things, so the shipping charge per thing was low.

10. Cowtown

Cowtown New Member

Good evening. I bought this soap last year. It is a terrific performer. The lather is snow white, very soft and creamy and the fragrance couldn't offend a parson. Whipped up in one of the super brushes(stiff backbone, soft tips), it makes one of the best lathers around. Its skin conditioning is wonderful. It is very clean and fresh smelling. I purchase it locally from www.aumarche.com They are great to deal with and the soap is just $14. I do not know if they ship. This one is worth a trial.

Regards, Todd

11. Queen of Blades

I happened to be in TJ Maxx today, and they had several Institut Karite items. No shaving cream or soap, but that might just be my TJ Maxx. Might be worth a look if you have a TJ Maxx nearby.

Anybody know if this brand is being discontinued or something? Between that webstore I linked yesterday having the stuff on closeout, and TJ Maxx having quite a few of the products, it seems kind of odd.

12. Cowtown

Cowtown New Member

Hello JoAnna. I am not sure about discontinuing the product. I hope not. Au Marche had about ten cakes in stock. I was there tonight buying the wife one of those wonderful Roger and Gallet bath soaps in the neat plastic "boxes". Blue Lotus. I grabbed it for the wife. It is a stunning scent. Now R &G is one brand of shave soap I wish I could try. Alas, it is discontinued in the States.

Regards, Todd

13. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

To quote that great philosopher, Scooby Doo, "Ruh Roh...A Rue!"

14. Padron

Padron Active Member

I have been wanting to try it for some time now, I've got shave soap, shave cream and bath soap on the way...:o:o

Thanks guys :rolleyes:

15. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

Duh, I thought "Hai Karate" was discontinued, due to unpopular undemand, years ago.....er, NEVERMIND

In the words of another Great American Philosopher, SpongeBobSquarePants:

"GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!"

16. Padron

Padron Active Member

I hope Michael is Ok with me adding my thoughts and a few photos...

The Puck, 3.5oz small in diameter but pretty thick , very nice scent...soapy but different...Like a Provence Sante or Mitchell's Wool Fat...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brush used was a Rooney Super size 1 style 1, hot water soak, about 10-12 swirls on the puck in my hand, then built the lather on my face...very nice

[​IMG]

A few swipes on the palm after I lathered my face generously..A larger brush would have yielded much more lather...

[​IMG]

Finished up...

[​IMG]

I think this is a Great soap :D, had a Very creamy, thick rich lather, great mild soapy scent, and gave the blade a smooth cushioned glide...
    left my face moisturized and feeling very nice.

I have never used a soap with this much Shea butter.....it has 25% Shea butter and I think it makes for a great nourishing shave. The lather was so thick and creamy smooth, the blade had great glide and was very smooth gliding across the cheeks...

In my opinion an excellent soap that will rival many of the other triple mills out there. Soon to be a favorite :D

YMMV

17. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

And where did you pick this up?

18. Padron

Padron Active Member

From the link JoAnna was kind enough to share :D

19. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

i didnt find the shave soap on that link...just the regular soap

20. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member