Interest in a Hone Passaround? International.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by joamo, May 13, 2018.

1. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

I have several hones that I’ve cut from Sioux Quartzite and I would like to send one of them out for a pass around to the members of The Shave Den.

Let me say upfront that this type stone is not rare and has no great commercial value. It’s occasionally used as building material, decorative garden rocks and most often, crushed to use as rail ballast. I have no intention of becoming a seller for these stones, I’m sending it out as an interesting found stone for people to try out, and share their experiences using it, on the forum. This is the same type of stone that @ DaltonGang reviewed. http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/sioux-quartzite-hone-review.58196/

Now about the stone, it is relatively small, 4 ½ inch x 2 inch (106 mm x 50 mm), but has been working well for me. I have been using this stone in a few different ways. One side of the stone, the smaller face, has been prepped to a relatively reflective surface. Using oil, this has been giving me a frosty looking bevel with a crisp, smooth edge. The other face has been used with slurry. This has been a fast cutter. I’ve used a few other stones as nagura on this side as well. There is a fissure, but it is stable and has cause no issues for me.

This is an extremely hard stone and slurries best with a fine diamond card, I use an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight.

I’ve been using mineral oil, thinned with spirits, on the reflective side and just water on the slurry side. The stone cleans up well with Dawn dish detergent after use with oil.

[​IMG]

If you are interested in trying out this hone, please state your interest in this thread, and your general location. The pass around is open to all locations and the list will be optimized to minimize expensive, international shipping. I’ll send it to the first person on the list, each person thereafter will pay to ship to the next person on the list.

After all who are interested have had the opportunity to use the stone, I’ll gift it to one of the people who state they wish to be included in the drawing for the stone.

Rules:
    1. Post your interest and general location (state, region or country) in this thread.
    2. Each person will have the stone for approximately 2 weeks before sending to the next on the list. PM that person for their shipping address. Post in this thread when you have received the stone and again when you ship to the next person.
    3. Provide a tracking number to your recipient. (Highly suggested, but not required, if it greatly increases shipping cost. Discuss with your recipient.)
    4. Do not slurry or otherwise degrade the smaller, reflective, face.
    5. If oil is used, thoroughly clean the stone afterwards, so that water does not bead up on the surface.
    6. Post your experience in this thread, how you used it, where it may fit in your progression, etc. Photos are encouraged.
    7. State whether or not you want included in the drawing for the stone.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It's a decent stone to hone on, and falls around the 12k mark, compared to my Welsh Slate Stones. It sounds like a fun pass-around, and I would participate, if I didn't already own one.

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I haven't honed anything at all before - would this be a step too far for a beginner?

Im interested for sure. Uk based.

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

Yes. These aren't bevel setting stones. They are finishers.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

That is pretty much what I was looking for. I send all my straights to @Billyfergie to get them sharp. Would this one be useful for learning how to give them a touch up or is it a hard one to use?

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Natural Stones are NOT Ideal for Newbies to Learn On..A Naniwa 12 K Super Stone is Far Far Easier to Learn to Finish or Refresh a Razor On..A Lot of SR Blades are Far from Perfectly Ground from the Factory Even if its Been Honed Properly Beforehand..Hard Stone Naturals are So Unforgiving Towards the Beginner..A Naniwa 12 K Super Stone is Far More Forgiving to Use..Big Time..Trust Me..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

PickledNorthern and DaltonGang like this.
  7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Thanks Billy! Maybe count me out then guys.... For now :p

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

No interest at all?

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

I’m interested, but I have a few questions for the more experienced honers. I’ve been setting bevels and finishing razors on lapping film, up until this point. The only other thing I’ve used is a barbers hone, and I haven’t used it much honestly. I’m not sure how much of a learning curve this stone would be for me? I’ve wanted to get into stones, but have had such great success with the lapping film, I’ve just stuck to using them. So what do you guys think, would this be a good stone for me to try out? If not, can someone please put me in the right direction? I’d really like to try using something other than lapping films.
    Thanks in advance for all the help.

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Hey, I think you should try it. What is the worst thing that happens?? Maybe you you would have to use a the lapping film to correct any mistakes? It's all for fun, and you really cannot do any harm. Plus, it makes for good reading.

11. Brickman301

Ok, joamo I’d like to be the first on the list to try out the stone! I’ll be sending you a PM very soon.
    I’ve read your rules, and I will follow them.
    I live in the state of Maryland.
    Thanks for the opportunity.

DaltonGang, thanks. What you wrote was exactly what I was thinking, but I needed some reassurance.
    I think this will be fun.
    Thanks to all

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  12. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

You're in! I got your PM.
    Hopefully we'll collect a few more and I'll start it on its way.

Brickman301 and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Brickman301

Sounds great!

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting!

15. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

@Arnout what is your general location?

16. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Belgium

17. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

This has been up a week now and I'm assuming there isn't much interest.

@Brickman301 I'll send the stone out to you in a day or so, yours to keep.

@Arnout I've cut and prepped another stone for you, PM me your shipping address and this stone is yours.

Thank you gentlemen

Brickman301, DaltonGang and Arnout like this.
  18. DaltonGang

That's very generous of you. :happy088::happy088:

Brickman301 likes this.
  19. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Indeed it is!

Thanks a lot!

Really curious!

Brickman301 likes this.
  20. Brickman301

Wow! Thanks, that’s very generous. Once I get to use it, I’ll post here on how it works. I’m not going to have anything to compare it to, as I have posted, this will be my 1st stone.
    Thanks again!