Interested in a three-blade Atra shave?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by gorgo2, Sep 27, 2015.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It won't be an all-Gillette shave but it'll be as close as you're likely to get with these Personnas from Dollar Tree. Snap off the barely-there plastic handle (it won't damage the cart) and the head syncs perfectly with an Atra handle.

0927151030.jpg

The shave was a tad rough at first, but it could be these U.S. blades are sharper than I'm used to with Dorco's...so maybe I'm feeling more sharpness. Anyway, the result is perfectly BBS after two passes with no nicks or irritation whatsoever, so it easily matches Dorco's results if not surpasses them. Personna's lube strip isn't goopy either; that seems to bug some guys about the Dorcs.

The cost breaks even with a 5-pack of DG's two blade carts ($1.75, last I checked) so price is a toss up. Nice for a change of pace, if nothing else.

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Non-goopy lube strip is fine, but I don't see the need for more than two blades really. Cool that it works though.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Nor do I, but for the a buck I couldn't pass it up. If the cart smooths out in the next shave or two, I may have found a replacement for the Dollar General carts (though I still prefer the immobile Trac II).

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

2-3 blades? For me it becomes what's efficient, and cost effective. Since carts are a secondary source of shaving for me I don't want to invest a whole lot of money, so when I see a deal like this I'm very interested. Thanks!

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You're a head shaver, right? Thought this might appeal to the head shavers.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yes, and it definitely appeals to me. I use SE, DE on my face.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No. To answer the question in the title.

178-bplatoon, tuxxdk and gorgo2 like this.
  8. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

With due respect, are you a cartridge shaver? If yes, which one do you use?

9. engrsaks

A very nice find, personally, I am very satisfied with four bladed quattro that feels just like atra (if it had four blades) :) . I wish I could test shave with these ones.

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. swarden43

I switched to DE almost 8 years ago. Haven't used a cartridge razor since. And as long as I have a say, I never will.

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way. :)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  11. engrsaks

I don't quite understand :think002:. The question is posted in cartridge sub-forum and is directed towards frequent cartridge users and admirers. Why do you think your negative ( and almost a trolling) reply is necessary in such a place when it has nothing to do with DE shavers? :lyrtuy5:

Edit: Its like someone posts a questionnaire in butcher shop, directed at the customers, how much meat they consume per week. And a vegan comes in and says "I don't eat meat, I'm a vegan". :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    jeraldgordon likes this.
  12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Thank you for your insightful contribution :signs062:

If I posted that a Wilkinson Sword Royale was my favourite DE razor most people would assume I was an idiot...

engrsaks likes this.
  13. swarden43

A question was asked, I answered. Am I not allowed to peruse and participate in discussions about cartridges and cart razors simply because I choose not to use them?

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. engrsaks

Indeed you are, Sir. But, if your post is not contributing positively, you are only going to frustrate the OP and he will see it as a troll reply. It is quite unethical, from my perspective of course.

DLP likes this.
  15. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

It's not the kind of behaviour I would expect from someone who has a particular salutation in their signature....

DLP likes this.
  16. swarden43

So one is not allowed to post his thoughts unless they are positive, expressing only about how good a product or item is?

My apologies.

17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

These are essentially disposable version's of the Personna Matrix. Without any disrespect to Gorgo2, they retail for $1.00 for three for a reason...

engrsaks likes this.
  18. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the OP of this post. it is totally gotten derailed by a petty squabble over good forum etiquette.

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Of course one is, but I can understand both gentlemen as well.

Like me, they fled from a rather close minded forum that shall not be named, but where cartridge bashing was the norm.

I'm not a cartridge shaver really (except on business trips) but I disliked the attitude of that other place.

20. engrsaks

Actually, you are seeing it the wrong way. If I were a pure DE enthusiast this would have been my reply

"Since I am a pure DE shave person, I wouldn't really consider it as something that would strike my interest. But, I am sure many men around here would find it worth a try. Nice find and thanks for the share" :)

As you can see, this way I am staying relevant as well as not trying to troll. :) . Someone used his precious time to come here and happily shared his find, booting it with a short negative reply, will only discourage him. Its all about ethics.