Interested in a three-blade Atra shave?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by gorgo2, Sep 27, 2015.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My apologies for a surly attitude. I've had better days and I am allowing today to affect my posts.
    I am sorry.

Sabre and engrsaks like this.
  2. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

I feel bad for those who sit and don't defend someone when being treated wrong. :) . I'm done with this topic now.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Maybe so. But if I have a choice between a cheap Trac II/Atra style cart vs a more expensive big name cart...and assuming I can get a perfect shave with any of them (and I can)...guess which one I'll buy. :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    engrsaks likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Addendum: I will admit that if money were no object, I could and would happily shave the rest of my days with the Fusion ProGlide. Despite it's performance, it's absurdly overpriced, as are Gillette's current production Atra carts.

engrsaks likes this.
  5. engrsaks

But lets say, all these carts cost the same trac-II, atra and a three bladed atra version, which one will you consider then? :)

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I happened across some new old stock Gillette Trac II carts last month. It was the first time I had a chance to try them. They do shave noticeably better than the Dollar General Dorco carts I'm used to, and better than the Personna three blade I used today. So again, if $ were no object, I'd go with Gillette's. That said, is the real Trac II/Atra cart's shave THAT much better than the knockoffs? Nope.

engrsaks likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Quatro is one I don't think I ever had a chance to try. Schick's green 3 blade disposables were the last ones I used regularly before I went (mainly) DE. Since then, it's pretty much been the Dollar General Dorcos when I've been in the mood/hurry for a cart shave.

engrsaks likes this.
  8. engrsaks

I would be interested to see how many shaves you get on a single cartridge. I'm sure it will be close to trac-II and atras. But then again, many gents claim that disposable blades don't come with a good coating that results in good mileage. Personally, I haven't experienced it.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Relax, we're all fine here. :)

engrsaks likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There's a lot to that, and I've noticed a 91% alcohol dunk after a shave seems to stretch out cart use, as does brushing out gunk from betwixt the blades. How much longer it makes them last, I haven't bothered to keep a log. Just ain't worth it to me.

engrsaks likes this.
  11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I would prefer to use a Wilkinson Sword Profile or Schick Ultra too :). I bought the Personna Matrix and often found the connectors broke so I couldn't attach them to the handle, so frequently I only got 2 or 3 shaves out of them. I wasn't aware you could remove the connectors and use with an earlier handle...

engrsaks likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Are those Wilk's two blade carts that come in kind of a brown hanger pack? I think I've tried them when they were at Walmart but don't recall anything beyond that.

I don't know if the actual cart-carts will work with an Atra the way the disposable version will (I'd assume they must) but if you have some laying around and you h ave an Atra handle (Trac II won't work), give 'em a shot.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

By the way, I wouldn't judge anyone for using anything from Wilkinson. The best cart razor I think I've ever used is still their long-gone Bonded and how many blades did that sucker have? One. And their old DE blades are legendary.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

This is the one I used...wish I could recall how it went...

[​IMG]

15. engrsaks

As far as I know, Schick keeps manufacturing all kinds of carts and even injector blades. I don't understand why they discontinued only the bonded cartridges.

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Me either, but every guy I've ever heard tried them loves them.

17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The US Wilkinson Swords are re-branded Schick Ultra's , so essentially yes. The Wilkinson Swords I was referring to are British made Atra compatible carts that were discontinued in the 90's or later?

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No idea on that. But listen, speaking of crazy...now don't tell anyone but I know of a guy right here on the Den who swears by shaving with old carbon DE blades from as far back as the '30s. Now how nuts is that!

engrsaks likes this.
  19. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The were discontinued by Wilkinson Sword long before being bought by Gillette and Schick. Schick has produced and discontinued more products than any other razor manufacturer...

Slim Twin/Advantage
    Tracer
    FX Diamond

The system version of the Xtreme3 is only available in certain markets. The revised Protector is close to being discontinued...

20. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

As bad as guy trying carpet or dog grooming blades? :) We know who you are ;) ...

gorgo2 likes this.