Investigating These Blades - Yeni Derby USTA (New Derby Master?)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bigwaverazor, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Mark Booth

Mark Booth New Member

I suspect there is a lot of misinformation and speculation on these blades at this time. I’m trying to dig deep for some answers. I’ve contacted by email Kanar Distribution the North American only authorized distributor for Derby blades. Also, I’ve reached out by email to several of the owners of our favorite shaving supply stores, hoping that they might shed some light or make inquiry to verify information about the Derby USTA blades.

If I hear anything from these sources, I’ll forward the information to this discussion thread.

Have a great day!

Mark
    Seattle, WA.

brit, Frijolero and bigwaverazor like this.
  2. bigwaverazor

bigwaverazor Well-Known Member

Mark, I too sent email to Kanar inquiring about the Master Derby blade. Let's see what we both get back from them???

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  3. bigwaverazor

Here's the latest from Kanar email.

"Derby usta is for the domestic Turkish market. Product quality is same." - Kanar

Oh well. I was hoping for something special. YouTube shaver, Paul, gave great praises to the blade.

Frijolero, Keithmax and brit like this.
  4. bigwaverazor

I'm still going to test these. I'll still send out a few blades to those interested.

Frijolero, Keithmax and brit like this.
  5. bigwaverazor

I believe Paul H says in his video that the USTA are thinner blades. I'll caliper them when I get my stock. If so, they are technically different. Perhaps the blade material won't be the same. The jury still needs to remain out a bit longer, I guess. I may seek out a direct Derby rep from Turkey for a second opinion.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  6. Mark Booth

Mark Booth New Member

The owner of one of our favorite shaving supply stores shared this piece of information which supports Kanar’s position.

Shares: “Hi Mark,
    Thanks for your email.
    I don't have the facts but my guess is they are re-packaged because Derby usually sends me an email when they release something new”.

It is my position that the USTA is probably the new DERBY Premium blade repackaged for Turkey or other similar markets. Assumption: It is possible that USTA=MASTER may resignate bettter linguistically for marketing purposes than PREMIUM as we see with the new Derby “Premium” blade. The advertisement uses the term “new technology” which basically refers to blade grind-facet method and edge refinement process for heightened keenness or otherwise.

My Derby USTA blades should be arriving within a few days or week. I will compare them to the Derby Premium and Extra and report back accordingly.

Hope this helps!
    - Mark

mrbaho, Frijolero and bigwaverazor like this.
  7. bigwaverazor

Thx, Mark. I sent email to various shaving supply stores in Istanbul, Turkey asking for them to obtain direct Derby specs on the usta blade. I'm probably 2 to 3 weeks out from my blade arrivals. If they turn out, like they appear, to be the same as Premium, that'll be OK since I like them in my KARVE plate E or F.

Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i think its just a derby premium blade..

9. Mark Booth

Mark Booth New Member

Brit, I agree with you 100%!

In my opinion, these blades are nothing more than Derby Premium blades marketed to the middle-east or other market segments. Marketing connects emotion and communicates a theme; packaging is an integral part of branding.

I have shaved with Derby USTA blades four times now and have compared them closely to Derby Premium. In my opinion, Derby USTA shaves effectively the same as Derby Premium blades and I can find no distinct characteristics. I received word back from one of the most prominent shaving supply provisioners and he said that they are most likely rebranded for another market. He said, that his company receives Derby manufacturing updates with new products and there is no news this way.

Derby USTA blades are worth trying and comparing and perhaps you’ll come to a different conclusion than mine. It’s important to note that Derby USTA blades are currently being sold to the USA market from sources like individuals selling on eBay. To my knowledge these sources function as unauthorized (independent) channels, so what they say, or fail to say, has no official Derby representation. Derby follows rigid ISO:9001 manufacturing and globally appointed supply chain standards of quality control. If something is stated by independent sources, it is not official and should be taken with a grain of salt, in my opinion.

I like the non-inked blade blank of the Derby USTA for it is clean and understated. The blade’s packaging is indeed top-tier. Nothing disappoints me much more than a nicely packaged blade with poorly inked stamping. Cosmetic things matter to me and reflect upon overall quality and brand integrity.

Hope this observation helps in your overall assessment.

- Mark
    Seattle, WA

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    brit and Frijolero like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

If that's the case they should be cheaper than the 70 cents/100 price difference I see on eBay. 70 cents to get US shipping is ok by me.

Frijolero, brit and Mark Booth like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i will try these or the premiums at some point.. the extra didn't work for me.retried them on many occasions, ruled out poor technique.. they just tug and pull as they cut..i do really like the packaging..

Frijolero and Mark Booth like this.