Iridiums and Derby blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Danfred, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Danfred

Danfred New Member

On this topic, can anyone tell me if Iridium Supers can be ordered from a North American source?

Also, with regards to Derby blades can anyone give me their thoughts on recent quality of these blades. When I first started using these blades, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. The shave was great.

I just took delivery of more Derby's and am not as impressed. Perhaps I should try a different razor? Presently I have a Progress and a 38C both by Merkur. I use the 38C more frequently.

Appreciate your input

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

did you change razors between the first and second shipment of Derbys?

3. Teiste

Teiste New Member

I did have the same experience than you.When I first tried Debys I was so impress,now I dont want to use them again.Iridiums can be found on Connaugh shaving(UK seller) but you can get Red Pack IP,regular IP(Crystals) or Astras from american dealers.Those are great blades and will fit perfect on your Merkurs.

4. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Unsure about a North American supplier for Iridium Supers. Paul at Connaught in England offers the blades at a good price even with shipping. Unsure of the Canadian $ vs. the Pound.

Stay away from derbys as they are too inconsistent. The sharks are better for the same price.

5. Danfred

Danfred New Member

Derby's 38C vs Progress

At your suggestion I did switch to the Progress with a new blade. It was a very good shave but seemed to take me longer as compared to using the 38C.
    The problem I have been having is irritation on my neck. Usually I do 2 passes WTG, ATG(including on my neck).Perhaps I have been blaming the blade when it could be technique.
    I have heard that the neck can be a problem area.

Dan

6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

yep. the neck's a common problem area. A lot of people, myself included, have had the experience you had with Derby blades. I tried a few packs and liked them and then bought 100 and found they didn't work with my new razor.

Different blades work for different razors. I find the Derby blades to be very hit or miss. They really work with a razor or they really don't.

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I think it is also a matter of when you use them. A lot of us tried Derby blades when we first started. As such, they are a good choice. They are smooth and not too sharp. However, as my technique improved and I started using better blades I now find the Derby to be a lackluster blade. I don't think the quality has dropped. They are probably identical the Derby blades I started DE shaving with. Back then they were great in comparison to what I had been using before. Now they pale in comparison to what I am using now.

8. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

I finally got around to trying the Derby's in my late '40s/early '50s Merkur Slant. At least for me and my Slant, I'd have to rate them above the Irdiums and on par with the Gillette Swedes and Feathers.

9. Danfred

Danfred New Member

Derby's/Iridiums

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this topic. Your input is appreciated.

Dan

10. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Although I am biased towards a Merkur Razor and Blade, I find that my Merkur Razors work better with a Merkur Razor Blade. My "Other" razors work well with other than Merkur blades, Derby's being one of them. Actually I enjoy the NOS Wilkinsons and the Swedes better, but obtain acceptable shaves with the Feathers, Derbys, Dorcos, and Bics etc. (there are others) when using anything other than a Merkur Razor.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :D

Oscar... :D

11. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Tried today a Iridium with a Parker 89R and was one of the best,nicest,easiest BBS shaves of all my 7 months journey into DE shaving.Im always surprised how well Iridiums works for me and how they matches perfectly with almost every DE razor that I own.

12. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Tried today a Iridium with a Parker 89R and was one of the best,nicest,easiest BBS shaves of all my 7 months journey into DE shaving.Im always surprised how well Iridiums works for me and how they matches perfectly with almost every DE razor that I own.

13. PeterS

PeterS Member

I've never been impressed by the Derby blades, they are OK that's about it. At that price point the Red IPs are a better buy and they are more consistent.

The Iridiums are one of my favourites. Smooth, sharp and available at a good price for forum members. :happy088

Pete

14. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

In my estimation, both Derbys and Iridiums are top-notch, but so much as Grecian BICs and Astra Superiors - both reasonably priced.