Irving Barber Co (IBC) Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Darkbulb, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

These guys did it a bit differently and bypassed crowdfunding sites all together and spent two years working on this razor. It's mostly maybe a razor "by barbers for barbers" but thought I'd post it here as there might be some interest here as well for something like this.

[​IMG]

Video showing off the razor:

They have a bunch of images showing the progression of how this razor came to be on their instagram feed at https://instagram.com/irvingbarbercompany/

The razor will go on pre-sale this Friday (Nov 30th) over at www.irvingbarberco.com and will cost $69

Disclaimer: I don't know these guys and have no stake in their razors. I just rather like how it looks and they seem to be good guys from the interactions I've had with them.

2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Its a very cool shavette, i wonder how you found them ;) hahaha

Robyflexx and Darkbulb like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Instagram FTW :)

PLANofMAN and Omelmad like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    At $69.95 each, I don't think they will have any trouble selling them.

I'm with Darkbulb, I like the way they look. The fact that they also take Injector blades (mini hair shapers) and Feather Artist Club blades is icing on the cake.

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Very nice well made looking shavette! It's nice seeing a new product that is versatile and actually has some thought put into the design.
    Makes me wish I could use a shavette.:)

Slipperyjoe, Slow Joe and Darkbulb like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Interesting design. Especially in how it all fits together. Double threaded razor and blade holder is a great idea. Plus the various blade options makes it nice. Might have to look into this more.

178-bplatoon and Slow Joe like this.
  7. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I really like how they use magnets to keep the blade in place. It looks really easy to load, which is one of the most annoying features of shavettes for me. It looks great too. I also like how it takes different kind of blades. A really well thought out design and a good price too.

8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Very interesting, it's great it can take various blades. I hope some here buys and reviews it. I hope they can keep up with the demand.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Thanks for sharing. I also like the fact that it accepts all three types of blades.

I will show this to my barber.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That seems like a pretty cool shavette. If I were to be into shavettes, I would be interested in trying it.

11. Silverirae

Silverirae Active Member

I'm definitely interested in it. I may wait until some reviews come in.

12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Nice design features. Accepting multiple blades is a bonus. Who says you can't build a better mousetrap...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I really like the fact that they will be selling all the spare parts for this razor. In fact, you can build this razor out of spare parts if you want. That shows a lot of forethought.

178-bplatoon and Slipperyjoe like this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I like that as well. I think the reasoning behind that is that this is razor developed by barbers with a focus on the professional, working barber.

Apparently it went on pre-sale tonight.

15. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

You always seem so up on all the latest developments DB. Thanks for posting..:eatdrink013:

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I just ordered one.

Edit: Here's a review from Reddit. It differs from my impending review in one major factor. I won't be using DE blades in mine. Those are (in my opinion) just a great way to cut yourself. I will be using Injector blades, and then most likely will move on to Feather Artist Club blades.

stickman393 1 point 9 days ago

Looks nice. Ordered.

stickman393 1 point 3 days ago

Arrived yesterday. Comes in a nice, light wooden box. Seems to be well-machined; feels solid but light.

I did practice holding the razor and passing it over my face, while unloaded, as would anyone preparing to shave with an unfamiliar razor. First impressions: lighter than my other shavettes. and more compact. I think this is a good thing, once I get used to the difference.

I tried my first shave with it this morning, using a freshly snapped DE blade. Yes - it was a little tricky to load, but I expect practice makes perfect here.

The bad: I almost immediately cut myself on the cheek but this was my own stupid fault; I do not blame the razor.

The good: after slowing down and taking it easy, it shaved very comfortably and I was even able to get a couple of problem areas (my jawline near my ears) smooth without resorting to touch-up with the DE.

Is it worth the $$? Maybe. It's to early to tell if this will become my favorite, but it certainly has the potential.

stickman393 1 point 14 hours ago

Shaved with this again last night. Maybe the "2nd use" of the blade made a difference but this was possibly the best shave I've experienced. I'm really enjoying the light weight and compact nature of the unit. I was able to shave some of the more difficult areas without problem. Still some nicks but I blame my technique. If this experience repeats itself, I have a new daily driver (god I hate that term, can't believe i just used it).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    Keithmax likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    My biggest concern is that button on the "blade." I usually switch hands (and thus, razor sides) when I go from one side of my face to the other.

I realize that a barber doesn't need to do that, and they typically use their dominant hand. It makes me wonder if this was made by right-handed barbers, for right-handed barbers. ;)

If it cannot be used in either hand, and is restricted to the right hand only, this will not be popular with most home wet shavers.

Darkbulb, feeltheburn and Keithmax like this.
  18. Silverirae

Silverirae Active Member

I asked about this on their Instagram. They said they tested it with left handed barbers and found no issues. I still have my doubts about the thumb screw and angle on my face.

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very sharp! Well worth $69

20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I was watching some of the videos after I posted that, and I'd forgotten that the thumbscrew is recessed quite deeply into the blade.

Slow Joe and Darkbulb like this.